Has the Watchtower Society ever been correct?

by Lewis 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Lewis
    Lewis

I'd really like to know if the WTS has ever been correct ... in all honesty. I don't mean subjective, fuzzy dogma that has no empirical basis ... I mean stuff like 1914 and the original idea that it would be end of the world; millions now living will never die; 1975; the generation will not pass away ... ad infinitum.

I have no axe to grind ... I'd really like to know. Have they ever been correct? And if so, with what?

I didn't leave the WT because of doctrine ... I left because I could no longer live as a Stepford Christian ... the idea of living with 6 million comatose worker bees under draconian overlords -- hey, I just wanted to run naked along the beach before the Watchtower police took the remaining 2 percent of my brain and made it into a complete magazine salesman and/or bird feed.

• TD
    TD

As far as prophetic speculation goes, the answer is, "No."

A JW will sometimes latch on to the one teaching they still retain from Russell and say, "We correctly predicted the end of the Gentile Times in 1914."

However the "Gentile Times" is only a label and its real value lies in what it actually means. When they redefined what the end of the Gentile Times meant, they lost all claim to having correctly predicted anything.

• Gerard
    Gerard

Only about the Miracle wheat.

• minimus
    minimus

Regarding dates, NO! Regarding Scriptural moral issues----Yes! And so have hundreds of other groups!

• Special K
    Special K

Good question Lewis...

I'll have to think over this one while I have my afternoon Tea..

sincerely

Special K

• edge3
    edge3

Yes, the Watchtower has been correct about at least one thing. I recall them stating in a publication (don't remember which one) that if one stopped reading WT literature and read the Bible alone that person would return to Christendom, i.e. to Christianity. Kind of a telling statement don't you think?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

They got my mailing address correct.

• SAHS
    SAHS

They often warn about the dangers of the Internet and ?independent [critical] thinking.? They said that if people start reading ?apostate? material on the Internet, it could lead some away from ?the truth?.?

Well, guess what. A quick look around here indicates that they were right on the money about that one!

Yep. The Internet sure is quite a dangerous place . . . for them!

?SAHS

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

They said the word "the" one time in their publications, and it was the correct usage of that particular word. Aside from that, no.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Didn't they get the "zero year" right - eventually?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit