Are We Still Judgemental?

by Paradise Found 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Larry
    Larry

To be human is to be judgmental - You couldn't survive without it. But in answer to your question -

Yes, being a JDub made me more judgmental of other people. Hell, I was even judgmental inside the BORG of anyone that wasn't 'reaching out' or serving Jah full-time.

I would judge a person based on their response to 'The Troof' - Which meant that 99% of the world would be destroyed.

Now, I accept people more readily (less judgmental), respecting their views on whatever. Being an Ex-Jdub helped me to realize that 'One persons' viewpoint is just as good as the next persons', and that no one has a monopoly on knowledge.

Peace - LL :)

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

In the Org we judged people worth by how hard they were working for the Org. I was always a lowly low hour publisher, so I judged myself as not so worthy. I think a lot JWs are hard on themselves because they are always made to feel like they aren't doing enough for the Org. Of course we were supposed to judge all that were "not of our kind" as wicked evil beings not even worthy of our association. I generally like people and feel sorry for those who have problems. I wasn't a very good JW because of that. But I was judgemental too in many ways and I still am, but now I judge for myself who I want to associate with and who I don't want to associate but using a whole different set of judgment rules.

• amber2
    amber2

I was taught to be judgemental, and was where spiritual matters were concerned.But tried not to be condemming as we all make mistakes.

Now i'm not a witness anymore i'm less judgemental as I have less reasons to measure people against and can see that you have to make your own mistakes and be accountable for them.

Being judgemental dos'nt serve any purpose except to elevate ourselves and most of the time it's none of our business.So I try not to be.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Judgementalism is healthy. It keeps most out of trouble, and it confirms values and moral judgements that are necessary for an ordered community. We all do it, every day, at some level.

It is Dogmatism that is the problem...IMHO

• Paradise Found
    Paradise Found

Thankyou Amber 2.

I started this post and Really Appreciated your answer.

WELCOME TO THE BOARD !!

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

It's so funny because as a "witness" I thought I was terribly tolerant. I thought I was soooo open-minded because I was taught about a Global Brotherhood and equality among races. However, after leaving I realized I was only tolerant towards those who were witnesses, and I had to learn a whole new form of tolerance. As far as being judgemental, I was terrible judgemental as a JW.

It took me leaving, and finally being in a situation that I had long judged, for me to learn not to judge others, especially if you've never been in their situation. Sure I still find myself making judgement calls, I'm not perfect. At least now I have the ability to realize I'm doing it and try not to.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Everyone sits in judgment in their lives. We judge, everyday, how close we have to the car next to us when we are parking, we judge how much we should pay for a car payment on terms. We make judgments everyday.

When you meet a person, you can make a judgment call on how you think their life will fit in with yours. If they are a person that doesn't the same morals or values as you, you are entitled to judge them as you see fit. If the person's morals or values don't click with yours, you are entitled to make that choice: free will being what it is. If a person chooses to NOT be involved with a person that's moral values don't meet up with theirs, well, then: that's their CHOICE. The difference is: you haven't CONVICTED THEM. You don't have that right, only God does. That doesn't entitle you to berate them, hurt them, or be mean.. it only means that you have chosen to not believe the same way as the person. You are *still* required to treat them as a fellow human being with love, compassion, and kindness, as well you should WANT TO.

I have recently had such a conundrum in my life. Many people were shocked that I am a born again Christian because I hadn't berated them. It's not my job. Whatever anyone wants to do with their lives.. it's NOT my call. I have already made clear to persons that I just have certain opinions, but I am *not* here to judge, nor am I here to condemn. I love people for what they are. If Jesus wants to take care of it, that's his business. I sometimes JUDGE, but I never convict. That's just not my job. They made their choices, and so they can live by them.

On the other hand, I may not be a very good Christian because i might be hanging out with people that Jesus sees unfit morally.. but that's his judgment call, not mine. I just like people for who they are.. and somehow I think he does too.

Country

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit