Selling homes and property - pre-1975

by Bonnie_Clyde 34 Replies latest jw friends

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I've posted it before, but doesn't it remind you of what Hassan said in "Combatting cult mind control"?

He talked about the expectations of one cult leader that taught that his followers were to meet at a specific place at a specific time and that they were going to be taken off in a space ship before they brought on a global flood to kill everyone. So they all gathered at this specific spot and waited all night. Nothing happened. Wouldn't you expect all of them to leave? A few did, but they were the ones that were fringe members and were not so invested in this prophecy as the others were. The others, instead of leaving, became even more dedicated to the group. Why? They were told that because of the outstanding example of their vigil, the aliens had decided to spare humankind.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I didn't reveal it at the time, but the relative I had this conversation with was actually my son-in-law and my daughter. The result of our 10-minute conversation was that I completely lost the good relationship I previously had with them along many other relatives including my father. I have not seen or talked to my daughter since my father's funeral in 2007 even though we only live 10 miles from one another. Even though I occasionally send an email or a card, I get complete silence.

In a conversation with her brother (my son), she brought up what I said about 1975, and my son reminded her that he remembered when he was 7 years old (1974), she told him she wanted to get baptized before 1975 as she knew Armageddon was coming (she was age 9). She denied ever saying that.

Bonnie, AKA Bonnie_Clyde

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

So sorry to hear that Bonnie. In hindsight do you regret having this conversation with your son in law?

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde
    In hindsight do you regret having this conversation with your son in law?

Yes and no. Up until that day, I had kept my mouth shut, but I think eventually something would have come out, and the results would have been the same. A good thing that came from it was that the son mentioned above and his wife both left the borg (our other son was already on his way out). Clyde and I both have a even stronger relationship with them. We all live nearby and we see each other almost every day, looking after each other's needs. We know that our grandchildren will never have to endure the torture of growing up in the "truth."

But there isn't a day that goes by that I think about our daughter. I don't have any idea how she is doing. And I have a touch of guilt knowing that I raised her in the religion. I guess that's why I keep coming on this site, knowing that others have had similar experiences.

Bonnie

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Thanks Bonnie, interesting point. I'm glad that my children weren't brought up in the 'truth' in the end, it scares me sometimes when they show an interest because of family members.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit