Nassau Colisseum contract with Society under threat

by truthseeker 20 Replies latest jw friends

• stichione
    stichione

I can assure you this is going on in many countries.

In Canada we are also ordered instructed to bring our own lunch and not go out for it. Infact, I heard that a major dispute as to why in Montreal the conventions are not held at the Olympic Stadium is that the concession stands of the stadium wanted absolutely to remain open during the program (these concession stands also sell beer!).

The bOrg instead asks the drones to drive hours to other cities to attend programs. Isn't it interesting, a major city like Montreal not having District Assemblies?

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

What the heck do they expect? They think EVERYBODY wants to go to the trouble of making their own lunch and jamming it into a cooler filled with ice, and carry it (and their bibles, songbooks, etc.) while walking half a mile from their parking space in their clean dress clothes while trying to keep their kids in check?

Gopher this is really a realistic statement. You have no idea what a pain it is, waking up earlier. The funny thing is, back in I think it was 1995 or so when they discontinued food service one of the main reasons was so that people could spend more time associating together. In reality, we know it was because people were taking 3,4, 5 sandwiches a per person and not donating. Question: We cant associate at a local McD's or Burger King?? What a silly rule.

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Danny sez:"control freaks with a mean streak"I remember back when we had 5 day assemblys mid 1960's.It was quite a show and some really good chow at meal times.

Being the techy boy, I would watch in awe at the power and majesty of the steam jenny blasting the pots and pans clean.....

[Edited: My Elder pioneer Dad trained by; Joe (jack daniels) Rutherford,had a catchphrase for anytime-anywhere something was a family hardship:"just think we will be good to go for the coming great tribulation"

• outnfree
    outnfree

To me, undoubtedly, this is about $$. The convention venues are realizing that there are plenty of dubs who feel as Gopher pointed out: too much of a hassle to fill & carry coolers, be neat (bringing "glory to Jah"), and keep kids in check.

The poor kids (and ALL attendees) have been having to sit still in uncomfortable seating, in uncomfortable climate conditions, for HOURS and really do want a break to socialize and let their hair down a bit. So they opt to make the little ones (and the big ones) happier by taking a break from the SITE and their kids PLAY like normal children at a McDonald's Playplace or something.

The convention owners would like to have their percentage of the concession, but the Watchtower Society has gone from "we'll feed our people HOT meals" to "we'll feed our people COLD meals" to "our people will provide their OWN meals", so give us a break on the rental fee, please. When the convention owners see that, in fact, the JWs are NOT providing their own meals but are giving business to local fast food restaurants in large numbers, they are angry that the Watchtower misrepresented things. Neither the WT (in the form of increased conributions) nor the convention venue owners are getting a cut of the food profits. Once the arena management is aware, they likely put pressure on the Society to let them open the concessions, but the Society is resisting, hence the instruction to not patronize local establishments. Which is all bullshit, because THE CONVENTION ATTENDEES, NOT THE SOCIETY, will eventually be the ones who bear the brunt of paying increased location rental fees anyway. So it is definitely not about COST, but about PROFIT for the Society.

outnfree

• Soledad
    Soledad

I wonder, once Nassau Colisseum bans JW conventions, how much further my mom would have to travel to go to her beloved "asambleas?"

she older now and I don't like her driving such long distances with a car full of ungrateful old hags!!

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I just thought I would let you all know that I personally emailed the coliseum and let them in on the real story as to why the WTBTS doesnt want food vendors at their conventions, im hoping I get a reply back, but either way I got my message through to them loud and clear

Dave

• crownboy
    crownboy

The situation in NYC is pretty much as has been stated in the opening piece. My parents are planning to take the counsel quite seriously (we were usually among the "offenders" who patronized the local fast food joints at break time. So much for spending more time talking to your brothers ), and they will be taking food to the convention every single day. When I suggested to them that the Society was being silly for not allowing the consession stands to be opened at least during the intermission time, they actually agreed with me. But in the end they'll be good little Witness, I guess.

• franklin J
    franklin J

I have attended the Nassau Coliseum for Hockey games, Disney on Ice, boat show;etc. In my days as a JW; they did not use the Nassau Coliseum for assemblies. It was always being used for sporting events; or was just too expensive to rent. I do know that the Unions are quite strong in Nassau County and all the New York borroughs. But I do not think that is the issue.

I imagine that the Watchtower realizes that they want their patrons there around the clock---if they go out to lunch and leave the premises, they may not return.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

i noticed for nyc they have days and days 2-3 hours ways in monroe n.y. who the hell who lives in n.y.c . wants to drive to and from monroe n.y. three days in a row. my cheap dad will never get a motel but come home at midnight just to leave at 5 a.m. the next day with a car load of jw's that willnot even pay the raod tolls. my family calls dad the hall shuttle. and he next to never gets invited to and jw' parties john

• Soledad
    Soledad

Hey Johnny they sold the Monroe property a couple of years ago. my mom now goes to Middletown for the CA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit