Nassau Colisseum contract with Society under threat

by truthseeker 20 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Just heard from a friend who attends a cong. in Long Island - the elder said that the dubs should not buy food outside the colisseum (there is a McDonalds nearby) as the contract the Society has with Nassau would be under threat.

This seems to be a new phenomenon - are the vendors putting extreme pressure on them to let them sell food?

The gap between the morning and afternoon sessions is called an INTERMISSION. This is supposed to be for the attendees to eat, relax, and associate. There should be NO ONE telling them what to do, what lunch to bring, where to go.

This little add-on talk by the elder, was called "convention reminders" - but the only reminder was the previous letter read to the congregations.

Is this a US thing or is this pressure on the Society by catering vendors overseas?

I know in the Brighton Centre, England, that vendors are allowed to sell over priced burgers and donuts, and no one kicks up a fuss.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    the elder said that the dubs should not buy food outside the colisseum (there is a McDonalds nearby) as the contract the Society has with Nassau would be under threat.

This is hilarious. The Society cuts off assembly food service, they disallow on-site vendors, and then order their disciples to NOT purchase food during the sessions from restaurants.

What the heck do they expect? They think EVERYBODY wants to go to the trouble of making their own lunch and jamming it into a cooler filled with ice, and carry it (and their bibles, songbooks, etc.) while walking half a mile from their parking space in their clean dress clothes while trying to keep their kids in check?

I can see why some of the JW's would need to go out and grab a quick lunch for them and their hungry kids.

in the Brighton Centre, England, that vendors are allowed to sell over priced burgers and donuts, and no one kicks up a fuss.

Are you serious? They'd NEVER allow vendors at an American district convention.

• Farkel
    Farkel

I think the reason is simple: no money spent on food vendors in or out of the assembly = more money to give to the WT Printing Corporation.

Farkel

• blondie
    blondie

Why not e-mail the Nassau Colseium and ask them if they are putting pressure on the WTS.

[email protected]

http://www.nassaucoliseum.com/contact.htm

• sf
    sf

Would someone please direct me to the thread(s) that discuss this very same topic. And that contain the letter.

Thanx, sKally

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha
    the elder said that the dubs should not buy food outside the colisseum

the word "Racketeering" comes to mind

• Odrade
    Odrade

Gawd that's irritating. They also counsel the attendees to not use all the ice in the ice makers for their coolers. Also, only a fraction of the rooms have refrigerators. Plus, they seem to have no clue HOW MUCH FOOD has to be brought along to feed a family lunch for three days.

They sure are making it hard on the "brothers and sisters."

• sf
    sf

Well I found the thread: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/72160/1.ashx....yet would like to see this letter that was read.

Anyone have a copy?

Please don't ignore my inquiries. I need documentation on many issues I bring to the yahoo chatroom. So if this letter is available, I'd like to view it.

Thank you, sKally

• Valis
    Valis

I worked in the hotel biz for several years and there was nothing worse than cheap ass conventioners coming to town...the JWs are like the Mary Kay people...they come to town and 3 people split one meal, 12 in a cab, take all the extra dinner rolls left over, little if any tipping the service people of any kind...etc...I wonder if Jebus was a cheap ass?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• blondie
    blondie

The Bible answers that question when Jesus turned water into wine.

John 2:9,10 (The Message Bible)

When the host tasted the water that had become wine (he didn't know what had just happened but the servants, of course, knew), he called out to the bridegroom, 10 "Everybody I know begins with their finest wines and after the guests have had their fill brings in the cheap stuff. But you've saved the best till now!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit