WTS SAYS ELDERS SINS DON'T COUNT!

by Amazing 40 Replies latest jw friends

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Amazing,

thanks for the reminder!

Just in case someone says ...the opposite!

Again 2 different measures.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

• teejay
    teejay

Amazing,

Sorry I missed this the first time around.

Almost twenty years ago (early/mid eighties) I knew of a Witness couple. Not married but seriously dating. Both were pioneers.

The Society came out with the ruling that past sins could be held against us; that it may even explain the loss of Jehovah's spirit to a congregation. The couple was devastated, having committed some serious sin in the past, but they did the right thing and confessed.

They were both removed from the pioneer ranks and when they got married were not allowed to use the Hall. The brother who had offered to perform the wedding backed out. Another elder, an old friend of the family, drove over a thousand miles to officiate the wedding. Not one of the local brothers would touch their wedding with a ten-foot pole.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

that's a keeper...i'm cuttin' and pasting

• GoldDustWoman
    GoldDustWoman

Francois wrote:

For instance, there was a brother, an elder, nice guy and well-liked in the congregation who as kiting checks. And he was brought to a meeting of his elder buddies who dealt with him on the issue. He'd also borrow money and have a helluva time paying it back. It was sad to watch. Finally he was put on announced probation and later got his shit together.

My question for anyone that can answer is:

So, if this guy DIDN'T get his shit together and not pay back money he borrowed, would he have been disfellowshipped? And exactly what would the offense been called? What would have been announced?

I know of someone that was DF'd under similiar circumstances, but I have been unable to determine what exactly the official reason was.
    It happened in the early 60's. Before the time of most here, I know, but would appreciate any insight anyone might have.

Thanks

Andee
    Hoping that Amazing doesn't mind me interrupting his thread with my question.

You can take a whore to culture, but you can't make her think-Dorothy Parker

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Amazing,

Thanks for that post—it was very informative and showed the two sets of scale used for this very big loophole. “Them that has, gets” is true even in the so-called ‘God’s Organization.” LOL.

Pat

"It's easier to put on slippers than to carpet the world." (from "Stuart Saves His Family")

• Amazing
    Amazing

I was looking for someting in some old posts, and saw this ... I thought that maybe some who were not aware might enjoy this topic.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Thanks for bringing it back to the top........ these guys don't change.

• heathen
    heathen

What a bunch of shcmucks !!!!!!!!!!! I have never heard anyone in the org. confess sin openly as described in the bible . The whole idea behind it IMO is to show humility . You are all right to be critical over the issue . What a bunch of hypocrites . They are so busy finding fault with everyone else and hiding their own short comings it's a disgrace .

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello Amazing,

I specifically took this matter up with the Branch in London in 1977 a few years after this KM slid its way into the 'publishers' hands. The reason that I drew this matter to the attention of the Service Desk was that an elder in a congregation which I had visited as a Temporary CO admitted to having been involved in an affair some years earlier as a single man, with a young JW woman. Though he had since married, the object of his affections before he had married decided to ‘kiss and tell’. The elder used this KM as a defense as to why he had not reported the sin to his fellow elders at any time since the affair. He and the other party had dealt with the issue and put it behind them until her conscience overwhelmed her.

The Service Desk made it very clear in a letter, which I probably have stored somewhere, that the point of the KM was not to excuse a serious sin done many years ago, but was intended to address the issue of minor sins like smoking, or an occasional bout of drunkeness. It did not apply to serious sins committed by any person, elder or not, which had take place, even in the distant past.

Almost as a coincidental event, very shortly after I dealt with this issue, a member of the Branch Committee in another English Speaking European country was removed for a sexual indiscretion that he had committed twenty-seven years earlier. It was an absurd situation, and one that sent shivers of fear through many, who looked back on their youth with terror as they remembered the days when sweaty gropings were classed by the WTS as ‘loose conduct’ and not the ‘fornication’ that it became in the early 80’s.

When a person hands their precious conscience over to an organization that shows all the characteristics of a sociopath - having no conscience - it is an unnerving scenario and one which elucidates much pity for me from me for what most JW’s have to live with in their daily grapple with a dissonant life.

Best regards - HS

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Visit Smiley Central! ...........the irony never ends with he B'org, it's just another good 'ol boys club if you ask me.

Kate Visit Smiley Central!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit