bought ENEMIES by Rutheford today

by azaria 10 Replies latest jw friends

• azaria
    azaria

at an old book store. Not sure if I wasted my money or if I will find anything of any significance. While skimming through it though I noticed how the Catholic Church is so demonized; how everything evil in this world is because of the Catholic Church. These lines caught my eye:

Fascism and Nazism mean one and the same thing and are the instrument of the Roman Catholic Hierarchy, the child of the Devil, to gain control of the earth by the Hierarchy and turn all people against God and his kingdom.

Amongst her instruments that she uses are ultraselfish men called "Jews", who look only for personal gain, and who therefore readily yield to and join with the Hierarchy in any unrighteous schemes

I'm still reading CoC.. I'm at chapter 11-Point of Decision. I honestly didn't realize how vile this org (Governing Body) is. I empathize with the average person who truly doesn't know what goes on. At times I thought, this can't be true, this is fiction. I'm not sure how much longer I can keep quiet. I want so badly to tell my mother what I know. I really feel for her. She hasn't said too much to me (since my dad passed away) I feel she's too scared of alienating me. I'm the only person she has besided the congregation. When I called her a few days ago she admitted that only one person in the congregation helps her. This is a person that my mother has an immense dislike for, how ironic. She mentioned how last Sunday they talked about uplifting each other and I casually mentioned how sometimes it's just talk and she agreed. I was really surprised that she would admit that. Sorry for rambling. During the summer I don’t come here as much because of work so I want to put everything in one post.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Oh yes, that's one of several anti-Semitic statements in the book. See if you can find them all. But that was one of the choicest. Sounds a lot like the Declaration of Facts, huh?

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

if i recall correctly that booklet also tells jw's not to have children now but wait a few years for the new system. funny i have the face the facts booklet 1938 and all they do is curse the catholic church. so now any time a jw tells you they don't bash other churches , offer a study on your enemies book. that will shut them up. john

• GenericMan
    GenericMan

Amongst her instruments that she uses are ultraselfish men called "Jews", who look only for personal gain, and who therefore readily yield to and join with the Hierarchy in any unrighteous schemes

I have to get a copy myself. I've been looking for proof that Judge Rutherford was an anti-semite.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I have xeroxes of the relevant pages somewhere.

• Farkel
    Farkel

johnnny cip,

: if i recall correctly that booklet also tells jw's not to have children now but wait a few years for the new system.

No you don't recall correctly. "Enemies" was a BOOK, not a booklet. The later 1941 Book "Children" (Rutherford's last book) was the one that emphasized not to marry and have children. That's not to say it wasn't emphasized before, but 1941 was the year that made it ad hoc doctrine.

Farkel

• Farkel
    Farkel

genericman,

: I have to get a copy myself. I've been looking for proof that Judge Rutherford was an anti-semite

James Penton discusses this very subject in "Apocalypse Delayed." Refer to him.

Rutherford was a man of the times and he was influenced as much by his times as everyone else.

For a while he held to Russell's view that the Jews would be restored to Palestine and Jersusalem and said THAT was God's Will(tm). During that period he spoke fondly of the Jews. Later on, he called them "hooked nosed crooks." He tried to appease Hitler in the early 1930's by stating his disdain for the Jews and his support for Hitler and Hitler's government.

In short, Rutherford was a lot like Tom Daschle or any other slimebag politicitian. He pandered to those he sought to manipulate.

The only difference that put Rutherford above the pack was that everything he said was all Bible-Based(tm).

Farkel

• VM44
    VM44

From the thread, "Rutherford, Strong and Humble", http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/73467/1.ashx

While Brother Rutherford was a man of strong convictions, known for speaking out forcefully and without compromise for what he believed to be the truth, he was also genuinely humble before God, often reflecting that in his prayers at morning worship in Bethel.

Sounds impressive, until one finds out what some of Rutherford's "beliefs" were.

From the Enemies book, quoted above:

Yes, it is indeed impressive what Rutherford believed to be the truth (notice this, not so subtle, disclaimer the WT throws in?)

Rutherford was an opinionated, loud mouth, authoritarian dictator! Not a "humble" man at all, as the Watchtower, rewriting history, would have us all believe.

--VM44

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

ty you farkel . i may have got the book or booklets wrong. but as you know the wt was teaching not to have children from @1925 on as told in some golden age mag's and a few booklets like face the facts 1938 . as well as the children book. my understanding is the wt taught this till about 1953 john

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    James Penton discusses this very subject in "Apocalypse Delayed." Refer to him. <snip> For a while he held to Russell's view that the Jews would be restored to Palestine and Jersusalem and said THAT was God's Will(tm). During that period he spoke fondly of the Jews. Later on, he called them "hooked nosed crooks."

Slight correction....the "hook-nosed" quote comes not from a time when the Society had changed its doctrine on the return of Jews to Palestine, but from the early 1920s in a talk on that very subject:

For example, while giving a talk on biblical prophecies respecting the return of the Jews to Palestine at a Canadian Bible Student convention in Winnipeg, Manitoba, in the early 1920s, he interjected:

"I'm speaking of the Palestine Jew, not the hooked-nosed, stooped-shouldered little individual who stands on the street corner trying to gyp you out of every nickel you've got."

http://www.randytv.com/Hitler/third_reich1.htm

So if Rutherford said something like that, he was already an anti-Semite through-and-through.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit