I don't know if this would be considered a "scandal" per se...

by CeriseRose 16 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

but I think there's more than what they're saying. For the first time in as many years as I can remember they moved the District Convention from the large Pacific National Exhibition centre (PNE), and divided the convention into 2 parts and all the JWs in the area are assigned to go 4 hours north of here, get accommodations etc.

They came out with this back when I was *just* leaving the org. and so I didn't really know why. I asked my JW friend and the comment back from her was that they hadn't been able to book the PNE and so everyone was doing this. I think that's a load of crap...they've moved the assembly weekend before when they've had the weekend they wanted booked, and to another weekend. The PNE has to know they'll be booking every year, and while it's true if they get it booked first, they won't wait around for the JWs to book.

I know of at least 2 families that attend outside the area already (presumably more), and I myself had been going to my sis's in another province (the social anxiety thing). My friend is going to the Seattle WA convention. Personally I think it's that the numbers attending were in decline (as they have been the past few years) and they were renting a place where they were barely making half capacity...and that they didn't want to spend the $$. Outside this area is cheaper, and the onus is on more the cong publishers to pay their way.

Did anyone else go through this type of thing while in? Or other thoughts? (In the big picture, this isn't a huge deal, but it just seems like it's lies.)

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Here in Winnipeg they started using a much smaller arena that is about 1 hour's drive north of the city.

I wasn't a JW here but have been told they used to use the much larger arena here in the city.

Seems the new location is so small they have to split the convention into two sections and meet on 2 separate weekends. I believe Nos was going to check on this (he is a tad busy right now).

• stichione
    stichione

What's interesting is that Montreal being the large city that it is has not had JW conventions in the last few years. Infact, for the last 9 years they have been having the conventions in Sherbrooke, QC (2 hours away), and only recently moved the English language circuit to Cornwall, ON (1 1/4 hour drive) to be with other English speaking JWs in the area.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    they hadn't been able to book the PNE and so everyone was doing this

That's right! They couldn't book the place because they didn't have the money!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

stichione

What's interesting is that Montreal being the large city that it is has not had JW conventions in the last few years. Infact, for the last 9 years they have been having the conventions in Sherbrooke, QC (2 hours away), and only recently moved the English language circuit to Cornwall, ON (1 1/4 hour drive) to be with other English speaking JWs in the area.

huh? Now I know they would never fill the Big O (what can?) butthe Bell Amphitheatre? The tennis stadium - I forgot its name? The Verdun Arena? other venues? Montreal is so full of big places. WTF? Sherbrooke? Egads English circuit gone to Cornwall? I thought one was with Ottawa. At least we used to rotate with them and had the DCs in Ottawa or Montreal. Have they lost that many anglophones in Quebec they are moving them out? My head is spinning at the insanity of it all

• Odrade
    Odrade

Here in the Pacific NW they've been holding 4 conventions each summer for years at the Tacoma Dome. Yet they rope off all the upper levels and only use a bit over 1/2 capacity. Plus it becomes easier each year for the late-comers to find seating. What a huge waste of money.

Oh well, they won't be getting any of my money this year. I'm not goin'! LOL! Although my parents and my in-laws are all there this weekend, so I'm sure I'll hear ALL about it.

Odrade

• Quotes
    Quotes

In addition to high cost of premium destination-city conventions sites, I'll bet that the Watchtower refusal to permit venue food services to operate is a showstopper.

~Quotes of the "Super Size Me" class

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

Yeah, this has happened in the Houston area as well. 'Back in the day' we used to get the Astrodome free of charge because once a year all the cong's would get together and clean all the seats (it was called 'seat-cleaning day) and then also once a year lay and remove two layers of plywood from the Astroturf for the annual oil convention. The capacity of the Dome was close to 70,000 or so and all circuits for several hundred miles would attend on the same weekend. When the Dome came under Reliant Energy as management, they put a stop to this, and so the District broke down into many smaller conventions instead of putting up the $$ to rent the Dome every year. They are in different places too, so at least it's a 'surprise' every summer....lol. This is probably more convenient for the local cong's, but convenience never matters until there's $$ involved and the Society's losing it.....

• joenobody
    joenobody

I believe this is the trend across the continent. I couldn't believe that they had moved to dinky little Cornwall. No DC in Ottawa OR Montreal?!? What an extra burden for people to shell out money for hotels etc. I guarantee you that if I had to travel for the DC to another city, I would NOT bring a cooler (where are you going to keep your food for three days if the hotel has no fridge?) - we'd definitely be eating out.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

a 1 hour drive on the highway from Montreal to Cornwall equals an hours drive in the city to any of the larger stadiums so it really isn't that hard to drive (probably about 1-2 hrs from Ottawa)

But if you don't have a car that means hitching a ride with someone else or taking the bus which gets rather expensive if you have a larger family.

Having the DC in the larger city means easy transportation - Montreal's transit system is great as long as they don't go on strike lol

I recall one year when the girls were small we drove the 2 hours back and forth from Mtl to Ott for 3 days. It was very tiring. The girls just wanted to run after the drive but we had to force them to sit for umteen hours. We still had to bring our own food.

All I remember is the relief when it was over. Makes me wonder how long people will tolerate this

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit