OMG! The Baptists!

by Ghosthunter 23 Replies latest jw friends

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I belong to a Baptist church, and as far as I know, no one evangelizes by going from house to house (although the teens did go around the neighborhood recently with door hangers advertising a skateboard show to kick off Vacation Bible School). However, I know some Baptists from other churches who do use that method. I don't have a problem with anyone who wants to do that, but it would surely bring back too many bad memories for me.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

A couple of months ago a couple of Baptist guys came to the door in the evening just to introduce themselves and their local church group. No pressure, very friendly and quick.

• DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW

Maybe they were the guys Paul Harvey talked about a few weeks ago...

He started saying that the police in (can't remember the city) were on the lookout for "mall Baptists"... yeah, that's what he said. Then had to laugh it off and start over. Seems they were actually hunting a mall Rapist.

On a side note, I've had several Baptists knocking about. Usually teenagers that really wanted to be doing something else (sound familiar?) or adults just handing out leaflets etc. I always want to say something about how they'll have to have a much better presentation if they want to compete with the Big Dogs of door to door. But I always refrain myself. ;(

• Princess
    Princess

No offense to the baptists on the board, the baptist church behind us is so horrible we absolutely despise them. Monday was a very hot day and as the kids crossed the street the baptists had set up a booth and were handing out popsicles as a way to advertise VBS. I told my 6 year old daughter she could have one (her friends got one) so she was waiting for hers and requested a favorite color. She was told to be thankful for what she got. I wanted to smack the lady up along side the head. I am still so furious.

Last week the youth group teenage girls were literally having a screaming contest until I asked them to stop. I was going to tell them to shut the f*** up but at the last moment just told them we actually lived in the house right next to them and I was sick of listening to them scream. They said "sorry ma'am". Probably were glad I didn't send Steve over to yell at the youth pastor. He really loves Steve.

A month ago we were serenaded by someones stereo blasting full volume until I climbed on the fence and told them I didn't want to share their music.

It's been ongoing for six years...it will never end. They don't understand that they are part of the neighborhood and subject to the rules of such.

They don't come to my door.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

When I used to go "out on the work" I remember knocking on doors just too late to notice the "Thank God for Jesus" or "Jesus Christ is Lord" stickers on the windows. I used to think......here we go....... Of all the religious groups I encountered Baptists and Born again christians, were the most infuriating. Typically they'd keep you at the door ( a reverse suprise!!) and keep flitting from one topic to the next without giving you time to answer any questions they raised. I think they were just wasting our time. Usually they'd close with "I will pray for you" ever so slightly patronisingly. Still at least they'd talk to us.

Awww.....the good old days!

Lol

Scoob

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Scoob,

It sounds like the Baptists had the best tactic for dealing with Jdubs.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well I have lived in the apartment for the last 3 1/2 years and have yet to see JW's in our neighborhood, But i have had Baptists at my door 4 times, in fact just last week the doorbell rang around 6pm while I was on the phone, my wife answered the door and there were 2 young women wearing dresses and had a tract in their hand, I was getting excited and then found out they were Baptists, I told them I thought they were JW's and they just laughed, anyway I should have used this as an opportunity to Anti-Witness but I was just polite and accepted their tract. Where are the Witnesses? Oh how I wish they would show up at my door.

Dave

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Baptists showed up on my doorstep a couple of weeks ago & gave us lightbulbs, along with a card inviting us to their church. The card promptly went into the trash, but I put one of the lightbulbs in the hood over my range a couple of days ago.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Dan-O, was it "New Light"?

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Yes, but their new light was dim ... they passed out 60 watt bulbs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit