Canadian Election!

by dorothy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• shamus
    shamus

Will,

I am faced with the same decision. Do you really want to vote to 'vote someone out'? I HATE the liberals and what they've done. HATE IT. Contrary to the liberal propaganda ads, the country will not go downhill if the conservatives get in. But I don't like the conservatives either.

They're all just idiots, IMO. Wasting our tax dollars and wasting everyone's time. That dammed gun registry! What were they thinking?

Theliberals are the best bet, IMO. But I sure wouldn't want them to have a majority government either! One can only hope.

• talesin
    talesin
    One can only hope vote.

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

I have no idea. I like Paul Martin, but I don't necessarily like his party's politics (I think I like Paul because he was opposed to Chretien, like me...hehe). Their track record is less than impressive.

Steven Harper scares the bejeesus outta me...and I think that he waffles too much on issues like gay rights/women's rights etc. (says one thing to our faces now, believes and will act on a totally different thing behind out backs/once elected). And WHAT IS UP WITH THAT HAIR? It's like my plastic headed "Ken" doll from the 70's. Come on man, take $12 outta the campaign contributions and get to a Fantastic Sams already...(yeah, okay, I know hair doth not a good politician make, however, if elected he becomes a visible symbol/face of all Canadians...and I SO don't look like that).

Jack Layton seems to be the everyman's man, and I particularly like his social stance on health and child care. However, the party hasn't a hope in hell of actually making it in, so voting for him feels like a vote down the toilet. (All in all, I'll probably vote for him, so that when whoever -is- voted in screws up, I can say that I had nothing to do with voting them into power...)

[rant] And now one of my pet peeves about this country...Bloc Quebecois. I live in BC, a province that taxes its dwellers between 50.5 and 52.5% annually so we can subsidize Quebec and their unstable economy (I've seen the reports from the Feds on where my tax dollars go...pretty much right into the pockets of Quebec). Does the dood running for this party even KNOW where BC is? I mean, honestly. Speaking in gross generalities, BCers (and western Canadians) on the whole have little care if Quebec leaves or stays: Just make up your fricken minds already! I have been hearing about this 'issue' since I was born, and I'm over 30 now. They've had referendum after referendum and guess what? The voters said stay. I have an idea, if some in that party dislike it here soooo much, head on 'home' to France. (Yes, that's a very typical pat answer from a Westerner on this non-issue in the minds of a good half of the country...)

I was forced to learn French (which is fine for the cereal boxes it's printed on that I might have turned that way at the breakfast table, or the one or two cute phrases I can chuck back and forth with my bf...I know about the same amount of Spanish, Italian, and German and didn't have it shoved down my throat). I understand that students in Quebec (at least at the time I was in school) did not have the same mandate to learn English (needing to preserve the mother tongue and all that). It's not that I dislike French (it just has no real impact on my life here in the west), or French people, or Quebecers (sp?). But the party that is pushing for this is making a mountain out of a molehill...Westerners might as well be dog crap under Ottawa's shoes for the attention given (unless we have rampant forest fires or natural disasters, or we manage to land the 2010 olympics...then we're no longer the bastard step-child), and yet Ottawa bends over backwards to keep Quebec from 'leaving'. And through it all, this party whines about how 'bad' they have it, and how their rights and freedoms and life would be so much better if Ottawa wasn't involved in it. [/rant]

I wonder what would happen if the rest of the country got to vote on the separatist issue.

What I'd really like to know is when the US is gonna come and annex us already. I want more Hershey products and Cheezits in my stores!

P.S. Wow. It feels neat to be able to spew my feelings about politics out there and know that someone may disagree, and that it's okay. What a freedom!

• Special K
    Special K

Hi Cerise Rose

For some reason I really enjoyed reading that.

It felt liberating, so to speak.

Yes, and I want more cheezits.. too..

sincerely

Special K

• MrPookiehead
    MrPookiehead

"And lo, there shall be a mighty determining, and those that live in the north shall speak rebellion, and join the mighty, for they dost covet the cheezits"

Um...Cerise told me to post that...my apologies to any cheezit coveters I may have offended.

• talesin
    talesin

Cerise Rose, Shamus and anyone else interested

Check out the editorial I'm referencing in my thread. The journalist explains why a vote for the NDP (as an opposition party) may count.

It's the type of political thought that we, as exJWs, may never have figured out. Was very helpful to me.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/72525/1.ashx

Click on the link I provided. It's a fairly short piece. Let me know your thoughts on his point, if you like.

tal

• MrPookiehead
    MrPookiehead

Ok, maybe it's my perspective coming from the states. Or maybe it's been mentioned before, but as I'm reading the article Taleisin posted....and I get to the Conservative Reform Alliance Party, I have but to wonder...

Are they for real? I mean honestly, they want you to vote for them when their acronym is C.R.A.P.?

Just my 2 cents US, which is about 2 and a quarter Canadian I suppose, with the exchange rate.

And yes, I do have cheezits.

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

Thanks for link back Talesin...I'd remembered another topic on Cdn. politics but I couldn't remember whose it was, so couldn't pull it up.

I've had a look at the article...an interesting slant and some good points he makes. I'll be reading more now. :)

• talesin
    talesin

MrPookiehead,

LMAO!! Actually, it is really the New Conservative Party, a blending of the former Progressive Conservative, the Alliance and the Reform Parties.

So, Bruce was poking fun by creating that acronym! I'm glad you got the joke.

Cerise Rose

I'm glad you enjoyed the article. He is my favorite columnist, and I usually learn a thing or two from him. He explained how the system works really well with regards to the opposition and how they can be effective, as far as I'm concerned.

• jgnat
    jgnat

OK, who won? Liberal minority government? This should get interesting....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit