Why I May Vote for Kerry

by roybatty 61 Replies latest jw friends

• roybatty
    roybatty

I'm a registered Republican but I have to admit that after looking at John Kerry's web site, I may have to sway my vote his way. What caught my eye is Kerry's attention toward jobs leaving for overseas countries and how the government can at least stop encouraging (and rewarding)large corporations from doing this. At Bush's site, I don't see anything about this huge problem facing America. I'm sure it's there but how important can it be if you have to dig for it?

Jeez, and I thought leaving the WTS mindset was going to be tough! lol

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Its good to see people will still vote on the issues, and not on the ABB (anybody but bush), or the BIGBF (Bush is God's Best Friend) camps.

In the most recentl American Conservative magaizne, Ralph Nadar of all people reached out to conservative voters, and made a very compelling case in doing so. The ironic thing about the interview is that it was conducted by Pat Buchanan, the 2000 nominee from the Reform Party. Nadar is the 2004 Reform Party candidtae. They are lightyears apart on some issues, but the core issues of stoping job losses, ending NAFTA, border protection, and the like.. they are actually quite close on.

Always remember there are alternatives

Vote Michael Badnarik for POTUS!

www.badnarik.org

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

So in context, you would also support the banning of all smart people immigrating into this country as this would be a Brain drain in their home countries and would hurt their economy.

• roybatty
    roybatty
    So in context, you would also support the banning of all smart people immigrating into this country as this would be a Brain drain in their home countries and would hurt their economy.

Huh? What? I don't think I even mentioned anything about immigration. The crisis facing America is the good, manufacturing jobs leaving for China and other countries. The government can't (and shouldn't) put in place unfair tariffs but they can stop rewarding companies who are doing this. I think Kerry is on top of this issue. The middle class is shrinking fast and I don't think Bush has a clue how to stop this from happeneing.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I'm an independent and vote the candidate and issues...NEVER vote by the party. I agree with you on Kerry's stand about exporting jobs, however I don't like his flip-flops on other issues. In any event, I never make up my mind until after ALL of the debates and we're closer to the election.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Well, Kerry's site is dishonest then. Why does his holdings in Heinz Corporation reflect his mantra? Heinz is one of the biggest offenders... They are the worse offenders....here is why......

'Benedict Arnolds' aided Kerry coffers

By Jim VandeHei, Washington Post, 2/26/2004

WASHINGTON -- Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts, the front-runner for the Democratic presidential nomination, frequently calls companies and chief executives "Benedict Arnolds" if they move jobs and operations overseas to avoid paying US taxes.

But Kerry has accepted money and fund-raising assistance from top executives at companies that fit the candidate's description of a notorious traitor.

Executives and employees at such companies have contributed more than $140,000 to Kerry's presidential campaign, a review of his donor records show. Additionally, two of Kerry's biggest fund-raisers, who together have raised more than $400,000 for the candidate, are top executives at investment firms that helped set up companies in the world's best-known offshore tax havens, federal records show. Kerry has raised nearly $30 million overall for his White House run.

Kerry has taken aim at "Benedict Arnold" companies as part of a much broader political and policy debate over stemming the flow of well-paying US jobs overseas, a chief cause of unemployment, especially in the hardest-hit manufacturing sector. Kerry's solution, detailed in a speech yesterday in Toledo, Ohio, is to enforce trade agreements, track and slow the outsourcing of US jobs, and stop providing government contracts and tax incentives to companies that move operations or jobs offshore.

Kerry has come under attack from President Bush, as well as some Democrats, for criticizing laws he voted for and lambasting special interests after accepting more money from paid lobbyists than any other senator over the past 15 years. Some Democrats worry that Kerry is opening himself for similar attacks on the latest issue.

Given the vast sums raised during the presidential campaign as well the growing number of companies with offshore operations, it seems almost inevitable that candidates would receive contributions from some of them.

Bush has taken exponentially more from these companies than Kerry, though the president has not made a major campaign issue out of clamping down on them.

On Monday, Kerry was asked why two of his biggest fund-raisers were involved with so-called Benedict Arnold companies. "If they have done that, it's not to my knowledge and I would oppose it," Kerry told a New York television station. "I think it's wrong to do [it] solely to avoid taxes."

Then he sought to clarify his position: "What I've said, is not that people don't have the right to go overseas and form a company if they want to avoid the tax. I don't believe the American taxpayer ought to be giving them a benefit. That's what I object to. I don't object to global commerce. I don't object to companies deciding they want to compete somewhere else."

David Roux, who has raised more than $250,000 for Kerry since 2002, is cofounder of a California company that helped purchase Seagate Technology Inc. four years ago and incorporated it in the Cayman Islands, one of the world's best-known tax havens. Roux described himself last fall as the "anchor tenant in John Kerry's fund-raising mall."

While the State Department lists Seagate as among the companies that reincorporated offshore to save on taxes, Roux said yesterday he works for a "global" company forced to make "thoughtful" business decisions about where to locate its offices and jobs. Roux said he does not consider Seagate or himself a "Benedict Arnold." That term, Roux said, "is, like many things in politics, a label that [was] meant to cover a lot of sins."

Stephen J. Luczo, chief executive officer of Seagate, has contributed $4,000 to Kerry, the maximum allowed under law, and $2,000 to the candidate's legal defense fund. Luczo was on vacation and not available for comment.

Tom Steyer, who said he has raised about $200,000 for Kerry, is a partner at a California investment firm Hellman & Friedman that helped set up an insurance company in Bermuda, another popular tax haven. The insurance company -- Arch Capital Group Ltd. -- stated in its 2000 Securities Exchange Commission filing that it was sinking roots in Bermuda to cut down on its US tax bill.

Steyer said it "wasn't my decision" to set up the company in Bermuda and that he now spends less than 10 percent of his time at Hellman & Friedman, the California investment firm that helped fund and set up Arch Capital. "I believe American citizens should pay their American taxes," Steyer said. He said he "absolutely" does not consider himself part of a Benedict Arnold enterprise.

Both Steyer and Roux have hosted fund-raisers for Kerry and are listed by his campaign as among three dozen supporters who have "bundled" $100,000 more a piece, which means they get credit for packaging together individual donations to reach that total.

When asked for the definition of a "Benedict Arnold" company or CEO, Stephanie Cutter, Kerry's spokeswoman, said: "Companies that take advantage of tax loopholes to set up bank accounts or move jobs abroad simply to avoid taxes." She pointed to a list compiled by Citizen Works, a tax-exempt nonprofit group that monitors corporate influence, as a source of companies that fit the candidate's definition.

According to federal election records, Kerry has received $119,285 from donors employeed at what Citizen Works described as the "25 Fortune 500 Corporations with the most Offshore Tax-Haven Subsidiaries." The list does not include nearly all of the companies that shave their tax bill by moving jobs and operations overseas, so Kerry has actually raised substantially more from firms qualifying as "Benedict Arnolds."

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I consider myself to be indipendent too, and there is no way I'm voting for Dubya Bush.

Kerry for me!

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Im not talking about immigration, we are talking about the loss of something to foriegn countries. That was your point right?

The crisis facing America is the good, manufacturing jobs leaving for China and other countries.

The crisis facing India, China, and Mexico, is the smart talented people leaving for America and other countries.

Its the same thing. Just a different commodity, one being jobs the other being brains.

We dont want to lose our low end jobs, and they dont want their intellectuals leaving the country to work over here.

Since you propose that we stop exporting jobs, then I expect you to support other countries not allow anyone with a degree to leave the country in order to prevent brain drain.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi
    Issue Kerry's Original Position Kerry's Revised Position
    Welfare Reform In 1988, Sen. Kerry voted against a proposal to require at least one parent in any two-parent welfare family to work a mere 16 hours a week, declaring the work requirement "troublesome to me." During his 1996 re-election campaign, when his Republican challenger, Gov. William Weld, was calling him soft on welfare, Kerry voted for the much stricter welfare reform law that Clinton signed into law.
    Mandatory Minimums In 1993 and 1994, the senator from liberal Massachusetts voted against mandatory minimum sentences for gang activity, gun crimes, drug trafficking, and drug sales to minors, explaining in an impassioned speech that long sentences for some dealers who sell to minors would be "enormous injustices" and that some convicted drug offenders were "so barely culpable it is sad." He also said congressionally imposed mandatory minimums made no sense and would just create turf battles between federal and local prosecutors. Today, presidential candidate Kerry strongly supports mandatory minimum sentences for federal crimes, including the sale of drugs to minors.
    Affirmative Action In 1992, Kerry created a huge stir among liberals and civil rights groups with a major policy address arguing that affirmative action has "kept America thinking in racial terms" and helped promote a "culture of dependency." Today, Kerry's campaign Web site vows to "Preserve Affirmative Action," noting that he "consistently opposed efforts in the Senate to undermine or eliminate affirmative action programs, and supports programs that seeks to enhance diversity." It doesn't mention any downside.
    Death Penalty During one of his debates with Weld in 1996, Kerry ridiculed the idea of capital punishment for terrorists as a "terrorist protection policy," predicting that it would just discourage other nations from extraditing captured terrorists to the United States. Kerry still opposes capital punishment, but he now makes an exception for terrorists.
    Education Reform In a 1998 policy speech the Boston Globe described as "a dramatic break from Democratic dogma," Kerry challenged teachers unions by proposing to gut their tenure and seniority systems, giving principals far more power to hire and fire unqualified or unmotivated teachers. Today, Kerry once again espouses pure Democratic dogma on education. His Web site pledges to "stop blaming and start supporting public school educators," vowing to give them "better training and better pay, with more career opportunities, more empowerment and more mentors." It doesn't mention seniority or tenure.
    Double Taxation In December 2002, Kerry broke with Democratic dogma yet again in a Cleveland speech, calling for the abolition of the unfair "double taxation" of stock dividends in order to promote more investment and more accurate valuations of companies. Five weeks later, after President Bush proposed a second round of tax cuts that included an end to this double taxation, Kerry changed his tune. He voted against the dividend tax cuts that were ultimately enacted by Congress and now hopes to roll them back as president, along with Bush's other tax cuts for upper-income Americans.
    Gas Taxation In 1994, when the Concord Coalition gave Kerry a failing rating for his deficit reduction votes, he complained that he should have gotten credit for supporting a 50-cent increase in the gas tax. Today he no longer supports any increase in the gas tax.
    Social Security During the 1996 campaign, when I was a Globe reporter, Kerry told me the Social Security system should be overhauled. He said Congress should consider raising the retirement age and means-testing benefits and called it "wacky" that payroll taxes did not apply to income over $62,700. "I know it's all going to be unpopular," he said. "But this program has serious problems, and we have a generational responsibility to fix them." Kerry no longer wants to mess with Social Security. "John Kerry will never balance the budget on the backs of America's seniors," his Web site promises.
    Trade Kerry has been a consistent supporter of free trade deals, and as late as December, when reporters asked if there was any issue on which he was prepared to disagree with Democratic interest groups, Kerry replied: "Trade." Slate editor Jacob Weisberg came away impressed by the depth of Kerry's commitment to the issue: "Unlike Edwards, he supports international trade agreements without qualification." But that was three months ago! In recent weeks, when Kerry has talked trade, he has talked nothing but qualification, calling for "fair trade" rather than "free trade," claiming to agree completely with the protectionist Edwards on trade issues, and vowing to "put teeth" into environmental and labor restrictions in agreements like NAFTA.

This is from SLATE, a liberal rag!!

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

I was a victim of my job being "outsourced" last year. I saw that it was going to happen but of course the execs played stupid when I asked about it. I registered to vote this year for the first time simply so I can vote for Kerry. I made my mind up about him months ago. Guess you can call me one of those poor misguided folks who still believe their vote counts

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit