Attn: Formidable Apostates

by Bubbamar 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

I read the thread yesterday about apostates and started wondering about your families. I am thinking about writing a letter to my mom and sharing with her some of the things I have learned about the JW's but also realize that this will make me an apostate and will worsen an already distant and painful relationship. I am hoping that some of you will share your experiences on what impact your outspoken "apostacy" has had on your families - how have they reacted to you.

I also feel a bit obligated to share the information with her. I am sure she would never look at any information on her own. I also have a conflicting feeling that its her choice and the information is out there if she wants to know.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

I remember a recent thread about a JW who told his parents some of the info (the name slips my mind, talltexan perhaps....?) he found out about the JWs, and they actually listend and agreed to some of it. Sadly, that is very uncommon. When I told my inlaws about the stuff I found out, they said it was all lies and tried to prove to me it was. Once they realized that I wasn't going to change my mind and leave the Borg, I lost contact with them. Now I'm happily divorced and in a new relationship :)

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

I shared a lot of what I've learned with my son, my brother, and my sister. They all listened patiently and seemed to try to reason on each point. I got absolutely nowhere with them. They are all still active, believing Witnesses who are now (as always) "concerned for me."

I shared one tiny point with my daughter about the end not necessarily being as near as we've been told for so many years, and I got nearly shunned for over 6 months and some hotly emotional emails for my effort. (We're back to normal now thank goodness.)

I haven't given up but I've definitely backed off and gotten quiet about it, waiting for my "moment."

• gladtobefree
    gladtobefree

My relationship with my mom was also strained, to say the least. She would not contact me but also would not hang up on me. When I went to Fl for my sisters wedding she actually told me that she felt that she had the right to talk to her own children. I was shocked and happy. After that I wrote her an 11 page letter and I told her that I was not trying to change her veiws but wanted her to understand why I felt the way I did. A lot had to do with the abuse I had endured and how the elders and the WTS responded. One of my sisters was there when she read it and she said that my mother said that I worte a lot of Apostate stuff. When my sister took it and read it (my sister has never been baptized) she pointed out that the only quotes that were there were directly from the WTS and the bible. My mom did not respond. After that I went to Brooklyn for the silent lambs March. My mom found out and was very upset. When I went to FL last she made it clear to me that she was dissapointed and she would not have any relationship with me. She did come to the beach on the last day I was there as we were having a family gathering, but she came just to see my kids. She did not even hug me goodbye. My sister said that after I left my mom broke down sobbing saying she should have hugged me.

I think my mom feels obligated to not speak to me because she has been taught that I am being wicked and she hopes that I will "come back to the truth" if she shuns me. I know this tears her apart but it tears me apart to think that she is so brainwashed to treat me in such a way. She knows of the abuse I suffered and she knows how badly I was treated and she KNOWS that I did nothing to be DFed over. All I did was went to the elders for help and answers. My "mistake" was not settling for "wait on Jehovah" , "have Faith" or "just pray more". But its the best "mistake" I have ever made. I just wish my mom could see that.

I guess you have to feel it out with your mom. If things are already strained you may want to take a lighter approach. Slip things in when she does not realize it. But be careful lest you lose her completely.

• allpoweredup
    allpoweredup

Some left the Watchtower after I mailed information to family and friends without a return address, some did not and I had one who left but came back although he could see through it. I don't think face to face confrontations work. Just write out the facts and get it to them. They must then wrestle with the facts rather than yourself, they're informed, you'll feel better for having informed them, and your relationship will not be impacted negatively. Some who leave do not do so at once but having been informed mull it over then do so later.

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

Hey Bub,

I wouldn't recommend you getting into this with your mom. For one, in her eyes, your are the child and its difficult for the teacher (as she sees herself in your relationship) to accept a lesson from the student. Secondly, most JW's that I have talked with over the years, must be in a place where they are receptive to any information that may be considered negative about the Society.

You really take a chance on alienating your mom, in the process of helping her to see the truth about the Watchtower Society. Resist the temptation.

• detective
    detective

Please consider reading "Breaking the Bonds: Empowering people to think for themselves" by Steven Hassan, cult expert. Before you do anything else, you need to have a plan in place. Extricating someone from the grip of a high control group is a difficult process, and one you will have to carefully plot out. Learning to pay attention to body language and triggers can help you figure out the best times to drop small bits of info that will get them thinking. You'll have to figure out when they are in cult mode and when they are relaxed so that you can test the waters to see how much information they can handle. Whatever you do, don't rush into things. I can't say it enough- you have to plan ahead and expect that it may take some time. You have to find the best ways to open their minds without threatening their sense of security. If you aren't attending meetings, you will have to work that much harden to gain their trust as you slowly encourage them to question. I'd suggest looking back through Amazing's posts as he carefully planned the way in which he was going to get his family out. He managed to get them all out- which is no small accomplishment!

I think this book will be helpful to you, it was helpful for me when I worked to get my friend out of the group. I found that it gave me some good ideas that I was able to modify for usage in my situation. I suspect you'll find it interesting. Try your local library as you may be able to get it there if you don't want to commit to buying it.

try www.freedomofmind.com which is Hassan's website.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Dear friend, I was DF'd at age 14.5 for "dissobedience to my parents", as if no other teenager ever disobeyed their parents... but as such I was shunned by my family and was activily kept separate from cousins, nieces and nephews and other members of the JW family. This for asking questions about contradictions in the prognostications and interpretations of the writing dept. Were that to happen today, the term "apostate" would surely have been used on me.

I can only surmise that the cong. serv. was so personally dislikeful of my presence and refusal to be quiet, that he took steps to get me out of his site. My parents at first were amazed that this could happen to a "mere child" but soon fell in line that it would be the motivator that brought me back under the banner of the "truth". How little they knew of psychology! Any half decent teenager given the chance to get out from under the oppression of JW cult control would leap at the chance.. I certainly did.

Please tell your family all you know and that you are open to discuss matters with the desire to "know the truth" and let the chips fall where they may. This is the theoretical call to action for JWs is to seek truth. Make them live by their mantra!

Best wishes,

carmel

• SYN
    SYN

The anonymous envelopes full of carefully picked Watchtower quotes thing is a great way of going about it.

However, very few head-on confrontations with people in the Truth worked - they're programmed to fight against that sort of stuff.

You've gotta go in under the radar! Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither can the machinations of the Tower be destroyed in one day.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I think there are secular mystics. Those in love with a business corporation like the Watch Tower Publishing Corporation. A mystic adores the God they have had their personal experience with. A secular mystic adores the corporation that printed the philosophy she feels comfortable with. The important thing to the mystic is the relationship, not the philosophy. The philosophy may change but the important thing never was the philosophy, it was always the relationship.

That's what we miss. We mistakenly think the important thing is the information and we work to document it's fallibility, while we lose rapport and trust. The connection between a Witness and the corporations is a relationship. Relationships are based on loyalty and commitment. Most Witnesses leave over social setbacks, not over changes in philosophy or explanations.

The Witnesses group is more of a family than a religion. It's a family with a clear leader, a definite set of rules, a clear system of rewards and punishments. Don't we notice that the punishments like shunning are "social" punishments? The reason there are no corporation punishments, is that the corporation knows it can not touch us in any way and it can not hurt us in any way to punish us. The punishment has to come from those we used to care about. People we don't know or who we don't care about can't hurt us. They know this.

I am a firm believer that no one quits the Witnesses from being exposed to conflicting information. The daily life of a Witness is spent dealing with conflicting information. That's the main purpose of the literature and of the meetings and conventions. That is, to explain away and rationalize all the disconfirming evidence and information. The main conflict is the ever delaying reward. MUCH effort is spent explaining the reasons for the delay and appealing for believers to continue believing in the face of good reason to quit believing.

The second huge weakness in the Witness group is the authority of the group's leaders to lead, to make demands of the followers, and the credibility to provide new and acceptable philosophy in light of the fact that ALL of the past philosophy has been shown to be weak and to contain error.

As a religion, the Witness group has proved to be everything the group itself has criticized in the past. Their group has taught error, members have been abused, compromises in politics and medical treatment have been made, and promised rewards have not been delivered. Those facts are very visible to members and has not phased most of them. They notice error, mistreatment of fellow members, and unkept promises and they stay.

They stay because of their will to stay and they stay out of loyalty. There needs to be an actual breaking of the bond on a social level for many to leave. That's the role of the disfellowship practice. The disfellowship practice destroys trust and breaks the loyalty bond. Other social setbacks inside the group have the same effect. The group has done such a good job of training it's members to defend against any frontal attack with denials and explanations, that it is rare for a confrontation to work.

Most of us left because of internal forces. We were guarded against external challenges, but were not trained to stand the internal forces. It was a force from within that drove me out, not someone armed with a raft of photo copies.

My contact with my brother was not well received. It's something I would not repeat. My contact with my parents was not well received by them and it is something I would not repeat. My discussion of Witnessism with my son was not well received and it is also added to the list of things I would not do over. Basically, I have accepted that I have nothing for them that they can accept from me.

Witnessism some days seems to me to be like a disease without a cure. There are spontaneous recoveries and remissions but no treatment that is known to cause a cure. Actually the usual treatments seem to make it worse.

Now there are no people I would like to see leave the Witnesses. I have seen too many years of rejection by them to be at all interested in them. They are people I used to know, gone. I actually don't have time now for all the nice people who accept me. At first my study of Witnessism was about the people I knew there. Now it's just a hobby. I do enjoy the ex-Witness community and I like to read the stories of the young people leaving now and I am entertained by all the wit and humor. Thanks for the fun. GaryB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit