watchtower cd rom wont work on my computer. Why?

by littlemike 15 Replies latest jw friends

• littlemike
    littlemike

Hi all.

Am i paranoid but I have almost completed writing my life story and wanted to put in some quotes from WT literature. My WT CD rom will not work on my computer. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it still doesnt work. It usually come up with abnormal program termination. The weird thing is i took the cd to work and loaded it on my work computer and it works perfectly. Now am I paranoid or is it a computer problem or have the WT done something to my computer. Or has the Devil got me so much he is stopping me looking at the true spiritual food?

• ball.
    ball.
    have the WT done something to my computer

What have you been smoking man? I think you maybe definately paranoid.

As regards the problem, there could be 101 reasons why you are having trouble. For a start the older versions dont run under Windows ME or XP for example.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Your computer has Deeeeeeminz!!!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

There are all sorts of possible causes...

• Bad CD ROM Drive
    • Bad CD ROM Drivers
    • CD ROM Drive does not support CD/R or CD/RW
    • Dirty Laser lens
    • Bad IDE Cable connecting your Drive to your Mother Board
  • kls
    kls

Some cd drives are a little sensitive, if there is a slight scratch or if the cd is warped in the smallest way some etc. Your cd will not play. Like Ball say's there are many reasons

• ball.
    ball.

Also keep posting this message over and over - it might help it.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

No, it's because not even your CD rom drive would read that tripe.

• new light
    new light

Maybe the angels ARE watching over you.

• blondie
    blondie

Does you computer system meet the basic requirements?

Watchtower Library system requirements:

· Pentium-compatible processor or higher

· Microsoft Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP or higher
    (Windows 95 and NT require Internet Explorer 4.0 or higher)

· 24 MB RAM (or higher, if required by the operating system)

· 30 MB free disk space (up to 500 MB for full hard-disk installation)

· CD-ROM drive

· Mouse

· Sound card, speakers, or headphones (optional, for pronunciation feature)

TROUBLESHOOTING BASICS

If you experience problems using Watchtower Library on your computer, the source of the problem could be Watchtower Library, or it could be in any of the following three areas: operating system, hardware, or hardware device drivers. Each of these areas is explained below.

Operating System

The operating system is the program that manages all the other programs in a computer. The other programs are called applications. Watchtower Library is an application, and it uses the operating system to access the computer's resources such as memory, central processing unit (CPU) time, disk space, and peripheral devices.

Watchtower Library has been specifically designed to work with the 32-bit versions of the Microsoft Windows family of operating systems. At the time of this release of Watchtower Library, this includes Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP Home, and Windows XP Professional.

Hardware

The physical components of a computer system can be described as the hardware. Such components or devices include the monitor, video card, mouse, sound card, and CD-ROM drive. These hardware components are commonly called devices. Not all devices will work in all computers, with all operating systems, or with all programs.

Hardware Device Drivers

The operating system communicates with hardware devices using small computer software files, called device drivers. The manufacturer of the individual component provides these device drivers. It is the manufacturer's responsibility to see that its device works with the operating system.

If it appears that a particular device is causing problems, it may be best to contact the manufacturer of the device and determine if there is an updated driver or if there are certain known issues with their product. A number of manufacturers maintain services on the Internet to obtain updated drivers at no cost.

Determining the Source of a Problem

If you experience a problem when using Watchtower Library, determining the answers to the following questions may help you to discover the cause of the problem.

1 Does the problem happen only in Watchtower Library, or do similar things happen in other programs?

For example, if you are experiencing problems using the drag-and-drop feature in Watchtower Library, does that feature work properly in other programs that support that feature? If the feature acts similarly in other programs, Watchtower Library is likely not the source of the problem.

2 Is the problem related to a specific hardware device?

For example, if you have problems hearing sound when using the pronounce feature and you also experience problems hearing sounds in other programs, it is likely that the problem is related to the hardware device (in this case, the sound card). It could be either a device driver problem or a hardware problem. If this is the case, the solution to your problem will likely require a certain level of technical expertise, and fixing it may require someone who is qualified. If you are qualified, trying the following may prove helpful:

a Try to reinstall the device driver. It is not uncommon for a device driver file to be corrupted and no longer work properly. The device driver is often provided on a CD or diskette from the manufacturer.

b If you do not have a device driver on CD or diskette, you can have the Windows operating system try to reload the driver for the device. In the Windows Control Panel, try to remove the device, then redetect.

c If the problem persists, it may be best to contact the manufacturer of the device driver and determine if there is an updated driver or if there are certain known issues with the product.

d If reinstalling the device driver does not resolve the problem, the hardware device may be malfunctioning. The manufacturer may be able to assist in determining whether the device needs to be fixed or replaced.

3 Does the problem happen only when other programs are running while you are trying to use Watchtower Library?

Many programs may load special drivers, install different versions of Windows system files, or alter the way Windows operates. Such alterations may cause conflicts with Watchtower Library. Closing or uninstalling the offending program may resolve the problem.

4 Have you tried turning the computer (and/or the printer) off and back on again?

This recycling procedure may clear out certain computer-related problems with your system.

5 Is it possible that you are using the feature incorrectly, or that you are expecting different results than the program was designed to provide?

Use Watchtower Library Help to determine if you are using the feature correctly. You can use the Search tab in Help to locate information about the particular feature.

6 Have you checked all available documentation for a resolution to the problem?

The following documentation resources may prove helpful:

· The operating system Help system.

· The Frequently Asked Questions section of the Appendix in Watchtower Library Help.

· The readme.txt file located on the root level of the Watchtower Library CD.

7 If you are not able to run Watchtower Library successfully after trying all the above, it may be necessary to reinstall Windows to restore system files that may have been damaged or that may have been replaced when installing other programs. This should be done only by someone with the technical expertise necessary to reinstall Windows without overwriting data stored on the computer.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Ah, my old helpdesk days...

If you're getting abnormal program termination messages, it's unlikely to be a problem with your CD-ROM drive... and your CD's fine if it works at work.

It sounds like an installation problem or a program conflict.

First of all CTRL+ALT+DEL and shut down all background programs; in Win98/ME Explorer and systray are actual parts of the Operating system so don't close those. In W2K/XP just make sure the list is clear.

Double check by looking at the icons at the bottom right next to where the clock is. If you have anti-virus programs running, it can normaly only be shut down here.

If your program still doesn;t run with all background programs shutdown, uninstall it, clean your registry (using software specially for this unless you're really good), and install it again with all background programs closed.

If it still doesn't work ... hmmm... demons??

If you find it runs okay after shutting down background programs then simply run the program with more and more of the background programs running until you find the one that clashes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit