What is really discussed at elders' meetings?

by sinamongurl 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mulan
    Mulan

Dave has told me that most elder meetings are a waste of time. A letter from NY has to be read to all the elders or there is a new form they need to see and be told how to properly fill it out. Drivel like that.

Or handing out public talk assignments, shepherding call schedules, etc.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

What no comic yet? I'm thinking something from Far Side..

• roybatty
    roybatty
    Once that's done they probably discuss who are the hottest babes in the hall, or where they'll play golf on the weekend.

Wow, I wish I had been an elder in your congregation!

• roybatty
    roybatty
    Dave has told me that most elder meetings are a waste of time. A letter from NY has to be read to all the elders or there is a new form they need to see and be told how to properly fill it out. Drivel like that.

Or handing out public talk assignments, shepherding call schedules, etc.

That about sums it up. Other issues discussed are "someone saw sister so & so smoking, we'll need to investigate...blah...blah.." or reading a letter from the CO about his upcoming visit. Jeez, sometimes we wouldn't get done for an hour or so. I'd get home around 11PM. Ug!

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

I know there are a lot of burned people on this board who think the JWs are the worst cult around

but I notice by this topic that there are plenty who want to hit JWs from both ends....

accusing them of holding secrets which should not be held like molestations on the one hand, but spilling the beans of private elder meetings and DF meetings on the other....

anyone else notice the blaring contradiction?

• garybuss
    garybuss

Elders meet Scriptural requirements before being 'appointed
    by holy spirit.' Knowing this will strengthen your confidence
    in them. What you discuss with an elder will remain strictly
    confidential. Being trustworthy is one of his qualifications.
    (The Watchtower, March 1, 1997, p. 28)

"Note: Reports have been received where elders have revealed
    confidential matters to their wives or others in the congregation."
    (Pay Attention 1977 p.65)

"Sadly, in recent times it has been necessary to disfellowship
    tens of thousands of unrepentant wrongdoers each year.
    Prominent elders have been included among them."
    (Proclaimers, WTBTS 1993, p. 187)

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

In the Spanish cong where I sometimes attend, they're always having little elders' meetings in their back rooms. Always the little announcement to the elders that "they'll be meeting for 5 mins right after the meeting concludes". Always 5 mins, that always end up being more like 1/2 hour. It's awful!

I've dropped little comments here and there as to "what the heck they talk so much about?". Another of the many reasons they have me 'marked'.

Certain meetings I attend in my own car, 'cause there's no way I'll sit around like the submissive little wife and wait 'til my husband is done with his bs meetings. I've voiced this out, and... You guessed it! Yet another reason!

DY

• franklin J
    franklin J

when my dad was an elder; he never divulged ANYTHING to the family. I believe he took his post very seriously.

After we left; and all the elders and other so called "friends" shunned us, Dad began telling us stories about "who, what and where" in the congreegation; who was gay; lesbian; who slept with who; who was a klepto, pschotic, etc. It kept us laughing and , if nothing else, provided us with a good defenses against the shunning abuse.

• franklin J
    franklin J

edit above post to read:

I meant no offense to any same -sex posters , but taken within the context of the JW world at that time; same sex life styles or experiences were "sensational".

After leaving the jw world behind and establishing my life and career in New York City for 20 years, such things no longer phase me.

Frank

• blondie
    blondie

For every elder who kept his lips zipped there was one elder who told his wife everything who told the sisters the next day in field service. So confidentiality was only as strong as the weakest elder. Tell one, you told them all, and then Chatty Cathy would tell his wife and then the whole congregation would know, but usually without half the facts.

Then there was the technique of telling elders in other congregations, leaving the names out, but giving details that only a mentally challenged person wouldn't know who they were talking about.

Who was the weakest link on your elder body?

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit