Experience about not bringing our own food to the convention

by NikL 45 Replies latest jw friends

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Izz2cool, I think you are talking about the Sheraton Hotel, a big stink several years ago. Sheraton didn't want to give discount rates to JWs because they knew that they would pay full price to get a room. Also Walter the example of that bro. that was disabled and a pioneer and MS. should have fought that stupid bloodly rule. I knew many who did stay at the Sheraton and did get in big shit. Some reproved and servants faced disfellowshipping for failure to comply with the Rank and File. I wondered in fact, if during that assembly in Hamilton did brother Jack Nathan get to stay at the Sheraton as he always stayed their as they had the programs brought in on a circuit tv system. Would he have been disfellowshipped or would it be okay and it was a neat coverup for the rank and file to only stay at the sheraton Hotel. Tons of bullshit.

In the early 90s we had the summer assembly at the Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto. Luckily I got into the Carton Inn just next to the Maple Leaf gardens. It was over 100 degrees out side and the inside of the gardens was over a 100 and it was one of toronto's heat waves. YOu know the speale no out doors to eat stay with family yada yada yada. How obeyed? not me and many didn't comply. It was like an easy bake oven in the gardens. So being in the CArlton Inn was a blessing. I had to change my clothes several times a day to pure persperation. I was soaked. So to hell with it I went out of the Gardens, went to my room and would order room service or I would go out to a resturant and enjoy the air condtioning. I have asthma too so breathing in that place was impossible.

I am of the opinion that the Society is becoming almost communistic it the way they tell people what they have to do and not do.

Stinks big time. And if I went out of the Gardens my mom or dad or sister would see me as we all sat pretty much in the same place and I didn't care what they thought. In fact my dad finally let my mom go upstairs to the hotel to get some cool air.

We are not accustomed to extreme temperatures and our bodies don't adjust the right way for the extreme conditions.

I think the Society has overstepped its boundries and I think if people want to listen then thats all well and good but not me. I wouldn't be bullied like that. I was treated that way most of my life. And also i would find out for sure if the organization had arrangements made with food from resturants. If I want to get out and eat out I will and I did.

So call my little Rebel, cause now I am the Big Rebel.

Love orangefatcat.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Elsewhere, that's it!

The Grand National Rodeo and Horse Show is held there every year. Lots of 4H activities and other PRCA (rodeo shows) are held there as well. Lots of concerts there too!

• HeyNow!
    HeyNow!

That is such crapola! They can't even keep their kids from destroying the hotel pools, let alone keep them from disobeying this petty rule..besides it is just another way for those old farts in NY to keep control on the Witnutses..Still miss the vanila pudding lol

• blondie
    blondie

Available in your local store for those who miss JW pudding.

• mineralogist
    mineralogist

I just read for one of the german locations it normally not allowed to bring your own food Wonder how they handle it if we go out for a restaurant - with an official badge of course

• nobody told me
    nobody told me

Do speakers from bethel pack their lunch at bethel before they go as guest speakers to the conventions? What if they have to fly? Do they board with cans of tuna fish, bread, cans of soda, fruit, etc...?

• blondie
    blondie

Good question, nobody told me!.

Perhaps they are invited back into one of the RVs that many JWs in responsible positions are allowed to bring and park near the facility. Perhaps they send someone out for their food.

In my area the visiting speakers sit in the administration room for a good part of the time with the sound and picture piped in.

I try to imagine families I see of 4 kids and 2 adults trying to get all their food into several coolers that can fit under the chairs.

I'm sure any special treatment of the visiting speakers is justified by the exalted position and the need to "do good to Christ's brothers" which the WTS interprets as being only the anointed. Yes, the great crowd are not Christ's brothers.

Blondie

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

A m e n !! Blondie. AndNobodyToldMe I agree with you too. You bet your bottom buck they don't have to abide by the rules. They do their own thing.

love Orangefatcat

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista
    In the early 90s we had the summer assembly at the Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto. Luckily I got into the Carton Inn just next to the Maple Leaf gardens. It was over 100 degrees out side and the inside of the gardens was over a 100 and it was one of toronto's heat waves. YOu know the speale no out doors to eat stay with family yada yada yada. How obeyed? not me and many didn't comply. It was like an easy bake oven in the gardens. So being in the CArlton Inn was a blessing. I had to change my clothes several times a day to pure persperation. I was soaked. So to hell with it I went out of the Gardens, went to my room and would order room service or I would go out to a resturant and enjoy the air condtioning. I have asthma too so breathing in that place was impossible.

Orangefatcat.

This reminds me of when they used to have assemblies down in LA--I believe it was Dodger's outdoor stadium or one similar to this. I never had the "privledge" of attending one of these, but supposedly they were a true test of endurance as the heat was unbearable. One very faithful sister told me about her experiences there, such as the time she took her bible student who got heat exhaustion and spent half the time throwing up in the bathroom with many others who attended doing the same. But the strange thing was this sister didn't take this women home, but encouraged her to endure the torture as many others did, because it was the right thing to do. This was the same sister who always brought up the fact that she attended the assembly the four day assembly the day after her baby was born. She said she was really in bad shape and it was very difficult, but she said when Jehovah says go--you go--you always obey no matter what--she really scares me now.

• wasasister
    wasasister

"Go to the Convwention, no matter what"

I hear that, Cyber-susta".

I was often assigned to First Aid because of some medial training in my past. It never failed: we'd see a few cases of some sort of serious flu on the first day. By Sunday, a large percentage of attendees would be infected because no one would stay home, even if they had a fever of 103 F. These people would drag themselves into the crowd. laden with germs so they could hear Jehovah's wisdom dispensed through their delirium.

The beds in First Aid were supposed to be reserved for those with true emergencies - heart irregularities, falls, cuts, etc. Instead, they would be taken up with people who should have stayed home in the first place.

(At least, the First Aid Department was usually air conditioned and had a handy toilet.)

Wasa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit