Turns out liquor store in my neighborhood is owned by JW's

by run dont walk 23 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Hi Google and Insomniac, You are absolutely right, the society has never banned drinking nor the sale of alcoholic beverages by JW's-as far as I know. JW's from what I remember drank quite a bit and probably drink more than any other religion besides Catholics, Why even Judge"booze"Rutherford was known to have alcohol illegaly smuggled into the US during prohibition. But you would think that with all of the drunk driving deaths, broken marriages, spouse abuse caused by drinking that the society would counsel against owning liquor stores. I remember some publications years ago discouraging having alcohol served at weddings due to the possibility of stumbling those in the community. I remember my JW grandma used to sneak in whiskey to her hotel room in a brown bag during the conventions, the society even cautioned about bringing alcohol to your hotel rooms so as not to give a bad name to JW's. Its all about image and the Society is always concerned about how JW's are viewed. So that is why I find it unusual that JW's would even consider owning a liquor store.One more thing I believe the only reason there arent more alcoholics in the KH's is the expensive price of liquor, but you put some of them in front of a free open-bar and see how quickly the lounge managers would reconsider that concept

Dave

Dave

• undercover
    undercover
    i noticed that many here (again, not everyone) like to talk bad about jws in general. i understand if you are not in love with the org, but what does the single jw have to do with it? did you forget you were one of those once? i wonder if it would have encouraged you to actually start thinking if someone would always keep bashing you about things you actually dont even know of...

You've got a point there. Many individual JWs are good, decent people. It's not fair to them to make blanket statements about JWs and how bad they are. I still have some friends that are JWs. I enjoy their friendship when I can.

But, to play devil's advocate, since most JWs (outwardly anyway) support and defend the WTS, even when it means to make someone an outcast, to let a child die, etc, they have allowed themselves to be part of the collective, to accept and defend whatever dictate comes from above. That's why many X-JWs call the organization the Borg. Much like the Star Trek story, those who become JWs cease to have a mind of their own and are controlled by the collective and the leaders of the WTS. I know that if my JW friends had to decide to either side with the WTS or with me, I will lose. To some X-JWs, that makes JWs weak and to be disliked and avoided.

Not that I agree with that exactly. I don't think we should dislike all JWs because of just being a JW. I like some, even trust some to an extent. Others, I dislike but tolerate. Even others I despise.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

friend of mine that's a Buddhist owns a liquor store She doesn't drink it, doesn't mind selling it. People are adults, they can decide waht they want to buy.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

hi, i'm back.. :-) I know that if my JW friends had to decide to either side with the WTS or with me, I will lose. that's probably not a decision between you and the (b)org, but between you and the rest of their social contacts, family and friends.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit