I'm so @#$%ing mad!!!

by Nosferatu 26 Replies latest jw friends

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Nos -

Sorry about the brake problem! I mean, I'm glad to hear that they seem to be working fine for now, but IMHO, you got ripped big time! I am not sure if the amount you paid is fairly standard in Canada, but here in the US, you shouldn't have had to pay more than a couple hundred dollars, and that would have been if a rip-off artist did the work. I believe it is still possible to dispute the bill - especially since you paid by CC.

On a better note - congratulations on the house! It is always so exciting to get a new one - and coupled with the timing of getting married.... WOW! What a great way to start your lives out together! Congratulations and wishing you both the best!

growedup

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well when I was 18 and had my first car, my brakes went out and I took it to Midas and they told me I needed everything replaced and I ended up paying $724 and this was in 1989. My brakes kept giving me problems after this for the next six months and I kept taking it back, Needless to say I wasnt a very happy camper. I have yet to take any of my cars back there. ps- It turned out that all i had wrong to begin with was probably a master cylinder.

Dave

• boa
    boa

Uhhhh.....apparently i'm the only licensed automotive technician to comment here so far, and in no way am i defending any company but.....here are a few comments for and against what you went through.....

Last week, I took my vehicle to Speedy because the brakes got squishy. I had to leave it with them for the entire week while they fixed my problem.
    Barring anything else, an entire week is a very long to fix a brake problem in my experience unless they explained to you they were very booked up (can happen quite often).
    They charged me $650, and I picked it up yesterday.
    Depending on what they did and what vehicle, this is NOT unusual or necessarily a sign of getting ripped off. (Talking Canuck bucks too!)
    The brakes were EXACTLY the same as when I took it in.
    Did they thoroughly understand that this is why you brought it in? (just asking)
    I got on the blower and told the guy that I'm not happy, and the brakes had the exact same problem. I'm so @#$%ing mad about this.
    Why be so mad - people all too often are completely ignorant of the complexity of any modern automobile - diagnosis and repair of many automotive problems can be time-consuming and detailed. If people don't like it....replace everthing and give 'em a REAL bill to stop a heart!
    I'm getting married next Friday, and I NEED the truck by Tuesday.
    Sure, and HOW long did this vehicle have this problem and you only now brought it in? (just asking)
    Today, after work, I'm taking it back, and I'm bringing my fiance with me (she knows how to effectively tear people's heads off). We can't afford to blow any more money on this.

The last thing a technician needs to worry about is the decisions OTHER people make to buy some piece of you know what. If you can't afford to blow money on YOUR chosen mode of transportation - TAKE A BUS! (lol)

Bottom line to me coming from the trade side is....yes, you could be getting ripped off.....Is this a given? NO!

Is an automobile like a fridge that'll last (hopefully) 20 yrs without much maintenance? NO! Heat/Cold/Vibration/Wear and Tear/Operator abuse/Age/Environmental conditions/Complexity and other factors will make these vehicles big on Maintenance/Repair.

boa's crappy 2 bits

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Nos, I don't know how yall's government handles consumer fraud up there, but down here, we take it to the District Attorney's Consumer Fraud Division and get it taken care of IMMEDIATELY....

One time I attempted to purchase a pair of white tennis shoes for my oldest son....they were advertised outside the shoe store as "All white athletic shoes on SALE 1/2 price".....when I went to the register, they charged me full price....I questioned them about it, but they said their sign "meant" only women's shoes....hmmmmm......so I went home and got my Polaroid, went back and took Polaroid's of the sign and front of the store....took the pics, the receipt and the still unworn shoes to the DA's office, Consumer Fraud.....the DA wrote 'em a letter and got me a refund of 1/2 my money...heheheheh It was only a few bucks, but WTF, I was a single parent and every penny counted at the time...

Frannie B

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I've got a bit of an interesting update. I mentioned to one of the "higher ups" at my workplace that I had to get the truck fixed. They approached me today, and they're going to cover $500 of the repair bill. That surprised the hell out of me!

Now, to comment on some more comments:

boa:

Sure, and HOW long did this vehicle have this problem and you only now brought it in?

two days

Bottom line to me coming from the trade side is....yes, you could be getting ripped off.....Is this a given? NO!

I never once mentioned that I got ripped off. Others have mentioned it.

Is an automobile like a fridge that'll last (hopefully) 20 yrs without much maintenance? NO!

That is quite understood. The thing I was mad about was they didn't feel different from when I brought the truck in. They did a bleed on the brakes, and they seem to be better now (thank god).

Frannie:
    That reminds me of when I sent the "Partners in the Truth" website an email. They said that they don't discriminate against race or religion, but then they said that the website is for JWs who have trouble finding mates in their religion. I emailed them and told them that it was false advertisement. They changed it shortly after, and never bothered to send me an email.

• SAHS
    SAHS

I thought that ?at Speedy, you?re a somebody.? Maybe they updated that part of their jingle with some ?new light.?

?SAHS

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

I've gone to Speedy for years and they always took good care of us. They seem like a pretty reputable place. The only thing that is a problem, is they seem to roll over rather quickly in their staff department. Don't know if it's because they don't pay well or what.......anyways, if they did a change of your rotors on the front, and the back brakes got done also.......maybe it'd be that high, but, it does seem steep!!

Ter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit