The JW Name

by Purza 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Purza
    Purza

I was talking to my boyfriend last night and I mentioned something about the JW's adopting the name "JW" in 1935. (That surprised him) Please keep in mind I have been inactive for 2 years and I never really cared before that, so my memory is a bit rusty. He asked when they began and I said sometime in the late 1800s. Then the questions I couldn't answer: What religion was C. Russell before he started the cult? And what were the JWs known as back then?

Any info would be appreciated.

Purza

• dorothy
    dorothy

They called themselves Bible Sudents. Russell was a First Adventist before starting his own sect.

• Purza
    Purza

Thank you Dorothy. I don't think I knew about the First Adventist info.

Purza

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Purza you can show your boyfriend streaming audio/video.Make some popcorn.

"MUTATED MILLERITES"

Jehovah's Witnesses ARE a spin off of the 2nd adventist,[ seventh day adventist]

"Mutated Millerites" an inferior sequel at that.

Hear Roger Mudd of the History channel say so:

Cult-Related Videos

Video excerpts from History Channel presentation on apocalyptic groups

HOSTED BY DANNYHASZARD.COM

modem (low bandwidth) version

DSl/Cable (high bandwidth) version

• Purza
    Purza

Thank you Danny -- I will show him that.

Purza

• dorothy
    dorothy

Oop! Sorry about the "First Adventist" thing. I couldn't remember what it was called. First, second, third...what's the dif?

• AlanF
    AlanF

Russell was raised as a Congregationalist, but at around age 16 he quit and did his own thing for awhile. Around age 18 he dropped into a meeting of one of the many Second Adventist sects and got religion again. He never actually was a fully practicing Second Adventist, partly because the term is a loose one describing a general set of beliefs rather than a specific religious group, and partly because he never joined a specific sect. In 1876 Russell hooked up with Nelson Barbour, who was a sort of fringe Second Adventist. They didn't agree about certain beliefs, but Russell adopted Barbour's unique "Gentile times" chronology, which no other Adventists ever accepted. Gradually the so-called Bible Students came into existence under Russell's leadership, and in 1931 the Watchtower Society under J. F. Rutherford officially adopted the name Jehovah's Witnesses for the religion.

AlanF

• Mulan
    Mulan

ALAN!!! Nice to see you again.

I was going to post some of that too. You beat me to it.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Also too, the JW name was adopted in a time when the bible students in the world fragmented and formed their own "Bible Student" sects (Associated Bible Students, The Dawn Bible Students, etc.) and Rutherford didn't want to have his "Bible Student" cult confused with the splinters, so he switched the name over to "Jehovah's Witnesses".

The blasphemy of God's name hasn't stopped ever since.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Yes, Alan is correct. The name Jehovah's witnesses (sic) was picked by Rutherford in 1931. The night before he announced it, he was reading the 62nd chapter of Isaiah and had a "revelation" when he got to the second verse, which states, "...and thou shall be called by a new name, which the mouth of the LORD shall name." - NIV.

Apparently, Rutherford passed out before he read any further in that chapter. The next day, he read that verse and announce that that "new name" declared by Jehovah would be Jehovah's witnesses.

Had he not passed out and got to verse four that same chapter, he would have discovered this:

"Thou shalt no more be termed Forsaken; neither shall they land any more be termed Desolate: but thou shall be called Hephzi-bah, and thy land Beulah: for the LORD delighted in thee, and thy land shall be married" - Isa 62:4

So if verse 2 applies to dubs, then verse 4 must also apply to dubs. They should be calling themselves "Hephzibah's Witlesses."

Now, the NTW apparently translated Hephzibah into its meaning: "My Delight is in Her." That being the case, dubs should be knocking on doors and saying, "Hello, we are with a group called 'My Delight is in Her.' Would you like to buy a nice book?"

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit