What Was Your Opinion Of Ronald Reagan???

by minimus 51 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

The amazing thing about this turn out in death is that President Reagan was very much respected, after all. He was a leader that the Communists were afraid of!

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Dan,

I guess perhaps we understood Min's question from different perspectives. I understood him to be asking simply what I thought of Ronald Reagan - right now. You are certainly correct - it is too early to make a judgment call on his impact on world history when viewed over several centuries. Honestly, it just didn't occur to me that he might want to know what I might think of the man 200 or 2000 years from now. If that is indeed what he is asking, I guess that little red dot is just going to have to wait to get my opinion post mortem. (Do ya suppose he'll still be asking questions then?!!!)

growedup

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

He was a great speaker and had a ability to make everything seem like a Horatio Alger book. But at least he was a president who stood for something, like Jimmy Carter who stood for the Democratic party.

Elder Bush was a idiot, Clinton only went by polls, and Junior Bush is turning out to be no Reagan.

Got to remember too that Reagan was a Actor and Actors can hoodwink the best of us.

• Corvin
    Corvin

I think I am sad about his passing because such a long stint of his life after his presidency was plagued by the alzheimers thing. We didn't get to watch him grow old(er) as we have Ford, Carter and Bush Sr. He was kept from us and we were kept from him because of his disease. He just sort of faded and now he is officially gone. I hope he was able to write his memoirs for us to read one day.

Corvin

• minimus
    minimus

GROWEDUP----You are too funny!!

• imallgrowedup
  • minimus
    minimus

After watching TV, I have no doubt that President Reagan was beloved by most.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: I fear he gets lionized waaaay too much by the Conservative punditry. Putting him on Rushmore or the $10 bill is overboard. that should only be reserved for presidents who have stood a lengthy test in history.

The problem with having to qualify after a "lengthy test of history" is that when one does research, there are no people living to verify it.

I think the "test" and final judgement of a Presidency should be made during the lifetime of the people who lived through it. It's very easy to whitewash and re-write history when all the eyewitnesses are dead.

With regards to Mulan's statement about interest rates being so high in the early Reagan years, I was in real estate at the time. I saw interest rates shoot up 3% in just one MONTH during the last part of the Carter presidency. When Carter was President we suffered the unprecedented problem of having high inflation AND high unemployment.

Reagan inherited those problems. He didn't create them. It takes years for those kinds of problems to be solved. Roosevelt didn't bring us out of the Great Depression for many years. The early 1980's recession (an euphemism for depression) was the worst economic down turn since the Great Depression. Let's put the blame where the blame is due.

Farkel

• Michael3000
    Michael3000
    President Reagan was a flawed man, no doubt about it. However, when you campare him to his three successors, the shoes he left are noticably empty.

Yeah - no one since Reagan has run up a record deficit, started illegal wars, and been directly responsible for thousands of deaths - wait. That's Dubya's legacy, too. Oh well.

• minimus
    minimus

I like Dubya too but I like Reagan a lot more!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit