What Was Your Opinion Of Ronald Reagan???

by minimus 51 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Did you love him, hate him or not care one way or another because at the time you were "neutral"?

• HeyNow!
    HeyNow!

I was working part time after school. One week, I noticed my check had a few extra dollars. I asked my boss about it and he said that I should thank President Reagan for the tax cut. I loved him ever since.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ah, THERE you are!!!!
    I was just today wondering where you'd got to (I hadn't been posting to the "boobies" thread ).

I was fairly neutral, at the time, but he seemed a nice old geezer.
    He seemed to have a bit of a thing for Margaret Thatcher, which was a bit worrying.
    That caused us (this side of the pond) concern about his health, long before such hit the media, in the 80's.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

I was just a kid then, but it seemed like those were happier days, even with the cold war. I guess in the light of history, you can see Reagan as the man who spearheaded the end of the coldwar by making the Russians try to compete in SDI and other endeavours they simply could not afford. A dangerous game, but he won a world war, essentially without firing a shot. That makes Reagan one of the best presidents in history, to my thinking.

He pandered to the religious right a bit, but not much, and certainly not wholesale like the current horror we have in office. Flawed or not, Reagan probably was the right man at the right time, for America.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

I love him, he reminds me of my childhood, a time when i didnt care about politics, or world affairs. I dont know what my opinion of him would be if he was president today.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Stef,

If he was president today, he'd look even more moribund than the Pope!

Ozzie

• Purza
    Purza

I was in high school for his second term and I was more interested in watching the boys. So I never really formed an opinion of him. IMHO the media is going a bit far with their "coverage" this week regarding him.

Purza

• franklin J
    franklin J

I liked his "All American" , good guy; "lets give them the benefit of the doubt" philosophy. He alway had a smile.

His democratic, nationalistic pride brought much renewed respect to Americans, and made many feel good about being American again ( after issues like Watergate).

However I criticize him for his discontinuing grants and student loans for education. I am a firm supporter of socialized education in this country. Europe is ahead of us ( as they usually are on social issues) on this .

Ronald Reagan had a successful life and touched many people. We may disagree with some of his politcal policies and views; but I think his life was lived to its fullest; and he was a good example in many ways. There is much to celebrate in his passing.

My condolences to his family.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

I agree it is a bit much.

I too was just a kid while he was in office. But I remember watching him on tv and just being enthralled with him. I mean he was The President. There was so much charisma. I remember being disappointed with ever president after him.

Funny story...... I used to have to clear the dinner table and wash the dishes. I HATED washing dishes. But I would pretend that Mr. and Mrs. Reagan were coming to visit and I wanted to give them the cleanest dishes possible. :) I know it sounds retarded, but that's what got me through washing dishes. :)

So in short even though he was a Republican :) I felt he was a good figure. And a Honorable man who really had Genuine intentions

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Reagan was a pimp! Carter was such a pussy, it was nice to have a President who would kick some ass.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit