TRIBUTE to a CIRCUIT OVERSEER

by Amazing 31 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Amazing,

I remember the Snow's very well. He was a gentleman. Very calm and assured. In 1965 he had some oversight at the convention in San Francisco, Ca. I went up to stay with some friends several months before the convention, working on design and installation of the platform. If you guys remember there was this huge green hedge behind the platform encircling it. Another brother and myself collected shredded newspaper from all over SF, constructed a chicken wire form, dipped the newsshred in plaster of paris, painted it all green, a pretty damn good replica of a green hedge.

Why do I remember all these crazy things fondly. I guess when you are active in it, it seems so right.

There were a few gems among the dross, Snow was one of them. Charles Avey was another, anybody remember he and Sylvia?

DAnny

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Danny: 1965 was just a few years before I became involved. I was first introduced to the JWs in 1968. I did not know of many JWs in San Francisco, because I lived north of there. Although I did attend District conventions at both Oakland where they were mostly held and once at Keisar Stadium in SF - the old 49rs ball field. Yuk, it was really run down and too crowded to use by 1971. That is the convention where I went door-to-door with flyers advertizing the program, and got a gun shoved in my face along with two German Shepherds. Never did that again.

I am trying to recall some well known names from that place and time. I can't recall any names at the moment, but I still have my first Assy program from 1970. I recall one little Italian DO who had a son who was a CO. He was shy in person, but when he got on the platform at District Conventions, he was a dynamic bombastic speaker. Kind of a JW version of Billy Graham.

As soon as I recall some names, I will make a new post for memory lane. - Amazing

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Amazing Memory,

Between you, Bendrr,and Max I've really been joggin my memory of late.

Enjoying the whole process, thanks.

Danny

• Maximus
    Maximus

Angelo Catanzaro?

Floyd Kite?

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Max: Yes, I recall the name Floyd Kite. But Angelo Catanzaro is not ringing any bells. The bombastic DO was named Angelo something ... it seems his last name to started with an M ... but I am having a brain blackout. I will just have to find the old DC program and see what some of the names were back then. Thanks. Amazing

• Mulan
    Mulan

Was it Angelo Manero (or Manera)?

Thanks AP, for remembering Mary. Hilda must have been another wife. I know there was one.

Anyone remember Werner Fuhrer? His wife was Zona.
    Some of the wives had odd names. I used to think it
    was a prerequisite, when I was a little girl.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Mulan: YES! I recalled the name while I was away from the PC. Angelo C. Manera On the DC program he was often listed as A.C. Manera. He was a powerful bombastic little runt, who came across like a Billy Graham. When he came to our congregation he was a mild and terrible speaker. He was even worse going door-to-door. It was like he was a first grader at the door. He stuttered, lost his thoughts, and would quickly find a way to leave the door. But put him in front of 60,000 JWs and you would think that he was President of the USA. WOW! A.C. Manera ... brings back a lot of memories. - Amazing

• Mulan
    Mulan

I remember him from DC's too. He served the circuit North of us, Everett to Bellingham, and I thought they would cycle him to us, but they never did. My niece, had grown up in a congregation in Eureka California, and knew him from then, so when she was in Marysville WA, she got him again. She loved him. It seemed everyone loved him.

But, I loved the Circuit overseers too, until my husband starting telling me some of their personality flaws from elder meetings. Some of them he particularly hated and called them egotistical martinets.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Mulan: When A.C. Manera served our congregation as a CO, I was in the Langley Congregation on Whidbey Island, Wa. I had moved from the SF Bay area a year or so earlier. It was at this congregation that I worked door-to-door with him. Our congregation was in the same circuit as Everett to Bellingham. I recall one Circuit Assembly we had in Mt. Vernon, north of Whidbey Island. You and I might know some of the same people. Who knows? You can email me at [email protected]. Put your moniker, Mulan, in the subject line so I will recognize you. I get a lot of junk mail and I delete it and block it unless I recognize the sender. Thanks. - Amazing

• AMAZINGEX
    AMAZINGEX

Hi Amazing,

Going back to Harry Snow. His wife Mary died several years ago and her remarried--Margaret Pike is now Margaret Snow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit