I need some advise (I want to get divorced)

by Leander 51 Replies latest jw friends

• TRUTH SEEKER
    TRUTH SEEKER

GEZZUS! I agree with you LT- Give Leander a break! He is posting his feelings as they come. He seems to be hoping for some advice.

Leander- a counselor will really help. I get it that you don't want to go that route. The thing is, you really may benefit from a second party opinion to help you work this all out. There is alot of advice on this board and many have had the benefit of seeing a counselor. Maybe, just maybe, they know something that you don't/or haven't really considered. I hope it works out for you. Take some time to decide, and then take some more time just to be sure!

• bisous
    bisous

Leander, follow your heart. We all deserve the opportunity to discover what love and life mean to us personally, free from the binds of WT cultism and encumbrances. It is sad your wife is still caught up in the lie, that doesn't mean you should live it with her. You are young, there are no kids involved...(even if there were, the answers wouldn't be obvious)....you have the chance to build your life the way you want...

Counselling, now or down the road, can help immensely not just for the marriage bit but for recovering from the damage of the WT....but it only helps when one is open to experience the process.

Sorry for the judgemental attitudes of some here, it really isn't helpful and doesn't represent most views.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

No one likes to be "left". In a close relationship, it is one of the worst hurts there is. You list lots of things you think you've "missed" and you probably have; but you also say you still love your wife.

Many people get bored with marriage. Marriage has to be worked at constantly, and its a give and take on many levels. You both deserve to be happy, but would you really be happy without her in your life. Sure, you might enjoy that initial "freedom", but afterwards, you may have regrets. Sometimes, we just can't "go back" in life.

I believe there are people on this forum who are married to mates who are still very active with JW's. When two people truly love each other, even that obstacle can be overcome. Please think about this fully before you make your decision. Your wife may come to see things through your eyes and leave the JW's at some point. If you still have that deep love for her, take your time and discuss all your options as a couple. If your relationship is worth saving, I believe you should try before shipping out.

Freedom from marital ties leaves you wide open, but sometimes, it is a very lonely road as well...

/<

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Sentinel:
    I agree with your post, barring reservations on the following comment:

When two people truly love each other, even that obstacle can be overcome.

Would it not be more accurate to say "tolerated" rather than "overcome"?
    I'm just wondering, based on expressions from others here.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

LT, I meant that to "overcome" the situation of being married to a mate who was still a JW, would mean that the situation just isn't "tolerated" (put up with), but it is dealt with, one issue at a time, by two people who view many situations differently, but who want their marriage to work because there is still so much real love and commitment to the relationship.

I believe the non JW can tolerate more than the JW as far as the rules and regulations that the JW is bound to; but if one continues to stay in a relationship where they are just tolerating a situation or a person it won't survive. If they can overcome this difference, they can survive.

/<

• Leander
    Leander

I think you misunderstood my post, my primary reason for wanting to leave is because of our inability to see eye to eye on raising children. The other things I mentioned are just thoughts that I have from time to time. When I first stopped attending meetings we still had plans on raising a family, but things have changed since then. I would'nt end our relationship over something trivial but for me raising children is not something I consider as being petty or easy to get over.

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Hi Leander, here's my novel :

I can sympathize with your situation Leander .

Early 30?s, married five years, no kids.

I DA?d myself last year, she is still a rabid JW.

Many of the reasons you mentioned I can relate to:

1. LARGEST issue is with children, we both would like to raise kids
    2. our goals and viewpoints are no longer unified
    3. do some traveling, attended college
    4. noticing other women besides your wife beyond a level that is healthy for a married man
    5. my own soul is being chipped away when I reflect on the fact that if I stay I forfeit many of my dreams

I think most of the above reasons can be summarized with:

?I want to pursue life on my own terms and be able to share that with someone on an intellectual, physical and emotional level.?

You are restricted in what you can do because of the WTS. It sounds like you are not DF?d or DA?d?

Since I am DA?d, I can do what I want within the confines of our marriage vows without direct repercussions from the WTS. So I have taken up Martial Arts, attended the Apostafest in TX, read whatever material I want, watch R-rated movies, and hang out with ?worldly? people.

It is invigorating to be able to experience these things now without the WTS holding a hammer over my head. But it is frustrating not being able to share these new experiences with my wife. She doesn?t want to even hear about any of the things that I am doing.

And this is the crux of the matter. I can do what I want and I can hang out with my wife and do ?fun? things with her. But we are living two separate lives. We are roommates who can?t even talk about anything more peripheral than work, the cats, or the weather.

We spent the day together last weekend. Had a spectacular breakfast downtown. Walked through shops and bought some things. Hung out at the lakefront. But I was ready to go home and call it a day because it was just an ?empty? day. There was nothing substantive we could discuss. It was all fluff.

The defining moment of that day for both of us came early afternoon after we had this wonderful breakfast and Mimosa?s together. We were walking down this hopping street where there is a lot of activity going on with people eating and drinking in outdoor café?s. As we were walking, we both noticed 10?-0? from us an old friend of mine drinking a Bloody Mary. She is like a sister to me, and her brother & I were both in each other?s weddings. Problem is, she is DF?d, so my wife wouldn?t talk to her. I stopped and talked to her for a minute, then my wife & I left to go into a shop. As we walked away, my wife said that she appreciated that this DF?d person didn?t try to engage her in conversation, but that seeing her on our day together only served as a reminder of how different our lives really are now.

In the past we have talked about separation and divorce. We have both talked to lawyers in the past. She even decided to move out of the house when I went to the Dallas Apostafest. She went through the effort of putting all of her stuff in boxes before I left Friday morning. But when I returned Monday, she was still living at home. Part of me was glad she didn?t leave, but my initial reaction was disappointment that she didn?t leave because I was now in for another round of living a pseudo life.

The above reaction was only highlighted to me yesterday when she asked if we could get away for a weeks vacation in the near future. My initial gut reaction was that I didn?t want to spend that amount of time with her. What could we do or say during that time that could be intellectually stimulating or emotionally relaxing that wouldn?t serve as a reminder of how different we are now?

I guess now my love seems to be moving more inline with what an older brother would have for a younger sister than as actual husband and wife peers. I can, without reservation, see her happy without me years down the road in the WTS with another man who is an elder and with her Reg Pio?ing and little JW clone kids. I can see myself happy by myself going to college and having a whole new set of friends. Then me moving on to have a wife who is intellectually stimulating, is well traveled and had a well-rounded education. Then raising children who strive to see good in all people and have compassion for all people regardless of religion, nationality or creed.

Biscous said to follow your heart. Big Tex told me that many months ago. Its simple but sage advice and I think of it constantly.

At times I think that the transition is what is truly frightening, plus the thought of hurting someone who you do genuinely love. Even if that love has morphed from the love a husband and wife share to a love that is akin to a close family member.

I love you. I love you and feel that we should cordially move on with our lives so both of us can be happier. Love conquers all, but what do I want love to conquer? To rescue her from the WTS? Even if she came out of the WTS, would she change in the same direction as I, or would she go another route, say as a fundamental Christian [nothing wrong with that belief system, but not what I will pursue for me and my future kids] and then her wanting to raise our kids with that belief system? There are really no guarantees, even if she was no longer a JW. A person changing is intrinsic to being human.

Love is an essential element in a marriage, without a doubt, but this doesn?t mean that it?s the only necessary element. More is needed to make a marriage a happy and successful one IMO.

Now that we are not JW?s, my life is viewed as limited on this planet, so I have to make this go-around the best that it can be. There is no second chance, & each day is cherished. Any days that are consciously spent in an unhappy environment therefore is a wasted days.

Not an easy position for sure. I think that I understand your situation Leander.

BTW, for those that picked out the mention of relations with other women, I feel that this was jumping the gun. Leander certainly cited many reasons, and the one some chose to focus on was not what he said was his biggest reason, or was even a specific reason for leaving and moving on. It was just cited as one of the experiences that were not allowed to him growing up as a JW, and therefore he pondered it.

IMHO, this claim waged against him seemed to miss his point altogether. The overall desire is to experience life on his own terms. He now thinks about the cake that he was never allowed to experience as a JW. He wants to have the cake [children with a common goal orientated woman, his CITED BIGGEST REASON] that is now out of the question for him and his wife. Other flavors of cake, like college, movies or extreme sports are now available as well. Just because he gives mention to one flavor of cake, say Devil?s Food :-) [other women] doesn?t mean that this is his overall reason for leaving. It?s just part of the laundry list of things that were off limits before, and even now some are still off limits as a married man.

Of course it is good to mention that if one were leaving a marriage just for the sake of another woman, than there is a high likelihood years later down the road of looking back and realizing that one threw away a good thing, a wife that truly loved him.

You?ve got mail Leander

• roybatty
    roybatty
    I think you misunderstood my post, my primary reason for wanting to leave is because of our inability to see eye to eye on raising children.

Leander,

I'm not trying to kick you when you're down, just trying to tell you from experience that many times the down side of divorce isn't as obvious as the upside. But I have to applaud you wisedom to settle this issue before you and your wife have kids.

When I left the JWs, my then wife wanted a divorce. No "if, an or buts" about it. My attitude was "whatever, you brainwashed cult member." Funny thing is, years have gone by since our divorce and the JW issue seems so trival to us now when it comes to our kids. Is the JW thing a "big issue" right now because you've recently left the organization? Will it continue to be a big issue in the future? I'm just not so sure it will be. Just be careful following the "hey split up now, do your own thing and if you two love each other in a year get back together."

• roybatty
    roybatty
    I believe there are people on this forum who are married to mates who are still very active with JW's. When two people truly love each other, even that obstacle can be overcome.

But there has to be give and take on both sides. For example, my then wife just couldn't live with a husband who was da'd because it would be her family (all JWs) and friends (all JW's) wouldn't visit or if she wanted to visit them she'd have to go alone (which seemed awkward). This meant a LOT to her. She didn't have any non-JWs friends, so it seemed to her that she's be alone all the time. Now, fastforward 4 fours. She's been working outside the house and has made many non-JW friends. In hindsight it became a minor issue. On the other hand, if she hadn't made non-JW friends, it would have continued to be a major problem. Another area is holidays. Does the ex-JW have to have x-mas decorations in the house? Some would say yes others, no. Yes, I agree it's a matter of love but it's also a matter of personal happiness. How much can you give up and still be happy?

• Leander
    Leander

Wow Winston, its like you reached in my head and pulled out the things I was trying to say. I guess it really is good to talk to people who are/have been in similar situations as yourself. I've been carrying these thoughts around for so long thinking that no one really understands my situation, but its really refreshing to know that other people have travelled down the path I'm walking and have managed to make it to a positive destination. I think you summed my situation up best by describing the relationship as empty. Thats exactly what I feel many times. Since I've been out of the org I've discovered so many new things to take an interest in and become passionate about and its really frustrating not being able to share my feelings with my wife. This is not to say that some other person would automatically have the same interests as I do, but I think the big key is that being out of the org and other overly controlling religious organizations allows a person to be open minded to different experiences.

From some of my ramblings it might seem like I'm ready to sleep with lots of women and do mind altering drugs, but that's not really the kind of person I am. By nature I'm kind of a slow and deliberate person, I usually try to think about my actions and the possible consequences of them. For example before I tried grass for the first time, I literally took a couple of weeks reading up on the effects of marijuana, the pros and cons, health risks, health benefits, etc. After I took in that information I made what I felt was a well informed decision. In fact it was quite similar to the steps I took before leaving the org.

Have you ever had so many thoughts in your head that you could'nt get them all down? Thats what I feel right now, there's so many things that I want to say and express that trying to type them all out is impossible. So I'm going to cut this post short. But again thank you everyone for chipping in with your personal experiences and advice. This board really is a great tool for helping people recover from a controlling religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit