The Truth About Marijuana

by Obviously Secret 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Obviously Secret
    Obviously Secret

Hemp was always used as a good source to make cloths, ropes, sails, and various other
    products that used the abnormally strong fibers from Hemp plants.
    The American production of hemp was encouraged in the 17th century to support the
    different changes in supply and demand of cotton. In 1619 the Virginia Assembly passed
    legislation requiring every farmer to grow hemp. Hemp was allowed to be exchanged as legal
    tender in Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Maryland. Domestic production flourished until after
    the Civil War, when imports and other domestic materials replaced hemp for many purposes.
    In the late nineteenth century, marijuana became a popular ingredient in many medicinal
    products and was sold openly in public pharmacies. In 1906, The Pure Food and Drug Act
    required labeling of all products that were over the counter to have labels for marijuana.

People always smoked it recreationally, it wasn't quite mainstream but you get the picture.
    It wasn't until the Mexican Revolution of 1910 when immigrants flooded America for it to
    become heavily popular and become mainstream in it's use to smoke recreationally. The drug
    became associated with new comers to America. The prejudices that came with the Spanish-speaking
    immigrants influenced the prejudice of marijuana to a degree. Anti-drug campaigners warned
    against the encroaching Marijuana Menace, and terrible crimes were attributed to marijuana
    and the Mexicans who used it. This was the start of the hatred towards marijuana. The chinese
    also had their prejudices from America but it wasn't as strong as the Mexican prejudices.
    There were suddenly anti-drug campaigners blaming the crimes that the immigrants, that was
    already in bad light, on the marijuana. Thus the hatred started to grow.

During this time Marijuana was still a major cash crop bringing in major money for independent
    farmers. Cotton was at a low. People who were behind Cotton used alot of their money to fuel
    the propaganda of marijuana to help out their crop sellings.

During the Great Depression, massive unemployment increased public resentment and fear of
    Mexican immigrants, escalating public and governmental concern about the problem of
    marijuana. They also used the current uprising of hate of marijuana to fuel the hate of
    black people. Saying when a black dude was on marijuana he looked at white women twice, and
    raped white women more. This made people very angry about marijuana and it's so called affects
    on people. Never mentioned the health factors of smoking marijuana.

Creation of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics (FBN), in 1930 which had Harry J. Anslinger for the
    first Commissioner. This guy hated marijuana with a passion I'll talk about him more later.

Around this time the government started making it illegal in all of it's ways. All of the medical
    stuff that the over the counter places had was destroyed and pound after pound was burned.

The greatest movie in history to change so many people's view about something was this crazed
    funny little movie called "Reefer MADNESS". It was a propaganda film produced by the French
    director, Louis Gasnier. This influenced the government to ban any film with these narcotics
    in them.

Marijuana Tax Act. After a national propaganda campaign against the evil weed, the Govermernt
    issued the Marijuana Tax Act which affectively criminalized weed in the year 1937. Restricting
    possession of the drug to individuals who paid an excise tax for certain authorized medical and
    industrial uses.

During this time the crime rate flourished. Drug Lords were formed and gangs were formed to
    transport and make money off of marijuana illegally. Pretty crappy.

In 1944, La Guardia Report finds marijuana less dangerous than alcohol. New York Academy of
    Medicine issued an extensively researched report declaring that, contrary to earlier
    research and popular belief, use of marijuana did not induce violence, insanity or sex
    crimes, or lead to addiction or other drug use. Yet it still was plenty illegal.

However, during World War II, imports of hemp and other materials crucial for producing
    marine cordage, parachutes, and other military necessities became hard to find. In response
    the U.S. Department of Agriculture launched its Hemp for Victory program, encouraging
    farmers to plant hemp by giving out seeds and granting draft deferments to those who would
    stay home and grow hemp. By 1943 American farmers registered in the program harvested
    375,000 acres of hemp. Kind of contradictory dontcha think?

The use of the drug became superly popular during the 1960s in the upper and middle class.
    All of the rich people were smoking marijuana recreationally even though it was illegal.
    However, more lower-class people were getting arrested for it even though the middle and upper
    class was doingit on the rise. But of course the rich folks ain't get arrested that much.
    Oh well.

Oh ya just a quick trivia fact. 1974, High Times was founded.

In 1976, there began a parents movement against marijuana. A nationwide movement emerged
    of conservative parents' groups lobbying for stricter regulation of marijuana and the
    prevention of drug use by teenagers. Which proved to be kind of not that helpful since
    marijuana use is still crazy these days. Some of these groups became quite powerful and,
    with the support of the DEA and the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA),
    were instrumental in affecting public attitudes which led to the 1980s War on Drugs.

There began to be mandatory sentences for marijuana possesion. It was basing the amount
    of the drug. Possession of 100 marijuana plants received the same penalty as possession
    of 100 grams of heroin. Alot of times if you had ALOT ALOT of marijuana you could be tried
    for man-slaughter. Getting caught with 100 plants meant a very long time in jail my friend.
    A later amendment to the Anti-Drug Abuse Act established a three strikes and you're out
    policy, requiring life sentences for repeat drug offenders, and providing for the death
    penalty for drug kingpins. Kingpins can be anything, a person who is found growing many many
    plants is found more heavily than a person caught with the same amount in already dried plants.

It's been all down hill from there. Many states legalized medicinal use of the drug under
    supervision. However, Bush is heavily against this and actually arrested many people that
    used medicinal marijuana that was legal then found illegal later. The use of marijuana is higher
    than ever. And you notice that the problems came when Marijuana became illegal? Would drug
    lords transport something that is totally legal? Would huge gangs kill other people for something
    that was totally legal and they couldn't make hardly any money off of it? No. Yet Marijuana
    is still Illegal.

Marijuana has close to the same lung health problems that ciggerettes have. Marijuana can
    hurt people if they let it. If they let it become too much a part of their lives like ANYTHING
    could do, sex, guns, money, WHATEVER it can control your life and harm it. However should we
    harm little kids that are found with just a little weed. My parents went through crap when
    I was arrested for weed, same as me. So much stress over something I quit a week before. Crazy.
    So many other people are ruined by it. Going to jail for forever over a plant. Come on, I hate
    to sound potheaderish but ITS A PLANT. If it is made legal we would get BILLIONS. We are already
    spending billions for the War on Drugs. Only reason it's so prevalent is because ciggerette
    companies who promote this War on Drugs to keep their ciggerettes number one get's money off
    of all the donations that they get. So crazy. Make billions we wouldn't be in such a deficit.
    We could give every person in america like 400 dollars a year if we tax the heck out of it.

People are going to smoke it anyways. So why not get it out of drug lords hands and criminals
    hands and put it in the government's. There is no age limit for the drug dealers. When i was
    a smoker I was hitting a blunt with a freakin 9 YEAR OLD!!!! A 9 YEAR OLD COME ON. He bought
    it easily from the same dealer I use to buy from. That's just not right.

The whole gate-way theory. My God. I can make a whole nother thread for that. You know why it's
    a gateway drug? hmm? Because kind of when you go to buy marijuana from criminals they usually
    are criminals. They sell other things like coke and herione. Drug Dealer "Hey kid you got
    your nick sack of that killa like you wanted right? Hey umm I got some other stuff. That's
    even BETTER than weed." Kid, "I don't know I want to stick to weed." Drug Dealer, "Hey man this
    stuff gives you an even better high and it lasts longer than weed. And I'll break you off a
    deal since you'll be a beginniner." Kid, "Well ok." Future Crack head. They are freakin criminals
    that sell weed AND the other stuff. Do you think weed would be such a gateway drug if they
    never even get into contact with the illegal biz. Make it legal take it out of criminals hands
    and put it in responsible store clerks, at least. Come on how can you not agree with taking it
    out of criminals hands and putting it in the governments'.

I suggest the age limit should be 18, same with ciggerettes. No smoking in public ANYWHERE.
    Only in hookah bars and smoke shops.

Another thing I agree with is LEGALIZE WEED TO USE IT AS CLOTHING AND ROPE AND DIFFERENT THINGS!
    Hemp is one of the strongest fibers ever. and it last a very long time. Books that were made
    from Hemp lasted longer than books that are made with the paper used today. Books from LONG LONG
    time ago were made of hemp and is still in good condition today. This country always complains
    about money yet they can make so much money and jobs from this one thing alone.

It is a Schedule 1 drug meaning it has no medicinal use. YET!!! the government freakin administered
    it to hundreds of patients personally to help with their glaucoma and cronic headaches. Alcohol
    has no medicinal use yet it is still legal. Marijuana helps alot with symptoms of
    cancer chemotherapy, multiple sclerosis, osteoarthritis, glaucoma, AIDS, and depression,
    as well as symptoms of such less common disorders as Crohn`s disease, diabetic
    gastroparesis, and post-traumatic stress disorder in many different ways.

Please people give me a good reason to keep it illegal because I really REALLY!! don't see
    one.

Thank you for your time.

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

Wow! You know alot about drugs!! Betchya didn't learn that from the Awake!!

Bull!

• new light
    new light

GOOD reason to keep it illegal? I don't have one. I believe it is kept illegal in spite of all the problems to keep urban areas under control. THe gov't is run by white people who will do almost anything to keep dark-skinned folks down. Marijuana's illegality gives cops a reason to search and arrest anyone who smells of the stuff, which, along with other activities deemed illegal, keeps the male population either in prison, just out of prison struggling to make an honest living, or engaged in criminal activity to make ends meet. If pot (along with other drugs, but mostly pot) were legal, the minorities would be less "arrestable" and their employability would grow and eventually they would have a fair say in government.

• Obviously Secret
    Obviously Secret

There are a bunch of stuff that influence the whole "keep it illegal" attitude. One thing is, the government don't wanna look like asses and them changing something that they worked so hard to prevent if they just up and change it it'll just look like the government messes up more than it already does. Another thing is the fact that alot of people don't like weed because of all the propaganda that has been flowing through us for so many years so a president don't want so much hate on him so he doesn't change anything.

I really never heard of a good reason to keep it legal. But oh well... it's gonna stay illegal for a while.

I don't even smoke anymore and I doubt I'll ever again. But this has just got to stop.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Well here they just want to sell more wine !
    but the young people don't like wine that much

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Right it's all a myth. Marijuana is actually good for you. Adults again are just trying to make something out of nothing.

http://www.estreet.com/orgs/dsi/Drugfx/Marijuana.HarmfulorHarmle.html

http://www.well.com/user/woa/fspot.htm

The same is true of crack and recreational cocaine.

(tongue planted firmly in cheek - of course dope is harmful - even marijuana)

• Obviously Secret
    Obviously Secret

Cocaine has various medicinal uses. I'd say wait on legalizing coke and heroine. That's TOO much of a shock for people, for the people who do it and for the people who hate it.

Not to mention almost all of our founding fathers smoked weed. Don't tell me George Washington is a criminal too.

• Obviously Secret
    Obviously Secret

"The question arises, therefore, why cannabis is so regularly banned in countries where alcohol is permitted. [...] It may be that we can ban cannabis simply because the people who use it, or would do so, carry little weight in social matters and are relatively easy to control, whereas the alcohol user often carries plenty of weight in social matters and is difficult to control, as the U.S. prohibition era showed. It has yet to be shown, however, that the one is more socially or personally disruptive than the other." Ph.D. H.B.M Murphy, M.D.
    Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal.
    "The Cannabis Habit" (1963)
    published in 'Bulletin on Narcotics' by UNDCP Our youth can not understand why society chooses to criminalize a behavior with so little visible ill effect or adverse social impact... These young people have jumped the fence and found no cliff. And the disrespect for the possession laws fosters a disrespect for laws and the system in general... On top of this is the distinct impression among the youth that some police may use the marihuana laws to arrest people they don't like for other reasons, whether it be their politics, their hair style or their ethnic background."

"Federal and state laws (should) be changed to no longer make it a crime to possess marijuana for private use."

"State laws should make the public use of marijuana a criminal offense punishable by a $100 fine. Under federal law, marijuana smoked in public would merely be subject to seizure."

President Richard M. Nixon's
    National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse
    "Marihuana: A Signal of Misunderstanding"
    March 1972

"Penalties against possession of a drug should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself; and where they are, they should be changed. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against possession of marihuana in private for personal use... Therefore, I support legislation amending Federal law to eliminate all Federal criminal penalties for the possession of up to one ounce [28g] of marihuana."

Jimmy Carter
    U.S. President
    Message to congress

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    The greatest movie in history to change so many people's view about something was this crazed
    funny little movie called "Reefer MADNESS". It was a propaganda film produced by the French
    director, Louis Gasnier. This influenced the government to ban any film with these narcotics
    in them.

If anyone hasn't got really really stoned and watched this, I can't recommend it highly enough. It's a true classic

• talesin
    talesin

OC

I'm surprised you didn't talk about the pulp & paper industry (William Randolph Hearst) and Dupont's influence on this.

The actual story behind the legislature passed against marijuana is quite surprising. According to Jack Herer, author of The Emperor Wears No Clothes and an expert on the "hemp conspiracy," the acts bringing about the demise of hemp were part of a large conspiracy involving DuPont, Harry J. Anslinger, commissioner of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics, and many other influential industrial leaders such as William Randolph Hearst and Andrew Mellon. Herer notes that the Marijuana Tax Act, which passed in 1937, coincidentally occurred just as the decoricator machine was invented. With this invention, hemp would have been able to take over competing industries almost instantaneously. According to Popular Mechanics, "10,000 acres devoted to hemp will produce as much paper as 40,000 acres of average [forest] pulp land." William Hearst owned enormous timber acreage, land best suited for conventional pulp, so his interest in preventing the growth of hemp can be easily explained. Competition from hemp would have easily driven the Hearst paper-manufacturing company out of business and significantly lowered the value of his land. Herer even suggests popularizing the term "marijuana" was a strategy Hearst used in order to create fear in the American public. "The first step in creating hysteria was to introduce the element of fear of the unknown by using a word that no one had ever heard of before... 'marijuana'" (ibid).

DuPont's involvment in the anti-hemp campaign can also be explained with great ease. At this time, DuPont was patenting a new sulfuric acid process for producing wood-pulp paper. "According to the company's own records, wood-pulp products ultimately accounted for more than 80% of all DuPont's railroad car loadings for the next 50 years" (ibid). Indeed it should be noted that "two years before the prohibitive hemp tax in 1937, DuPont developed a new synthetic fiber, nylon, which was an ideal substitute for hemp rope" (Hartsell). The year after the tax was passed DuPont came out with rayon, which would have been unable to compete with the strength of hemp fiber or its economical process of manufacturing. "DuPont's point man was none other than Harry Anslinger...who was appointed to the FBN by Treasury Secretary Andrew MEllon, who was also chairman of the Mellon Bank, DuPont's chief financial backer. Anslinger's relationship to Mellon wasn't just political, he was also married to Mellon's niece" (Hartsell). It doesn't take much to draw a connection between DuPont, Anslinger, and Mellon, and it's obvious that all of these groups, including Hearst, had strong motivation to prevent the growth of the hemp industry.

The reasoning behind DuPont, Anslinger, and Hearst was not for any moral or health related issues. They fought to prevent the growth of this new industry so they wouldn't go bankrupt. In fact, the American Medical Association tried to argue for the medical benefits of hemp. Marijuana is actually less dangerous than alcohol, cigarettes, and even most over-the-counter medicines or prescriptions. According to Francis J. Young, the DEA's administrative judge, "nearly all medicines have toxicm, potentially letal affects, but marijuana is not such a substance...Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man. By any measure of rational analysis marijuana can be safely used within a supervised routine of medical care" (DEA Docket No. 86-22, 57). It is illogical then, for marijuana to be illegal in the United States when "alcohol poisoning is a significant cause of death in this country" and "approximately 400,000 premature deaths are attributed to cigarettes annually." Dr. Roger Pertwee, SEcretary of the International Cannabis Research Society states that as a recreational drug, "Marijuana compares favourably to nicotine, alcohol, and even caffeine." Under extreme amounts of alcohol a person will experience an "inability to stand or walk without help, stupor and near unconsciousness, lack of comprehension of what is seen or heard, shock, and breathing and heartbeat may stop." Even though these effects occur only under insane amounts of alcohol consumption, (.2-.5 BAL) the fact is smoking extreme amounts of marijuana will do nothing more than put you to sleep, whereas drinking excessive amounts of alcohol will kill you.

It's all about MONEY. Oh yes, capitalism is a great system. hahaha Yes, it works really well. NOT When will people wake up and realize that the rich control our governments and lawmakers?

FD - Reefer Madness - you don't have to be stoned to find it funny!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit