Reading CRISIS of CONSCIENCE

by azaria 23 Replies latest jw friends

• azaria
    azaria

I’m borrowing it from the library and am almost half way through. At times I have to put it down because it makes me so furious. I had a difficult time getting into it at first because it’s definitely not an uplifting book. This may well be the last book I will ever read about the org. I’m presently reading the chapter Double Standard regarding Malawi & Mexico. This chapter is extremely upsetting. For those who haven’t read it yet I highly recommend it. In Tradition and Legalism: the policy change (after 50 years?) regarding alternative service in place of military service (where so many went to prison because of GB policy)

Aug 15, 1998 Watchtower: Was it unrighteous on Jehovah’s part to allow him to suffer for rejecting what he now might do without consequences? Most who have had that experience would not think so. Rather, they rejoice that they had the opportunity of demonstrating publicly and clearly that they were determined to be firm on the issue of universal sovereignty. (Compare Job 27:5) What reason could anyone have to regret having followed his conscience in taking a firm stand for Jehovah? By loyally upholding Christian principles as they understood them or by responding to the proddings of conscience, they proved worthy of Jehovah’s friendship.

The bolded part really upsets me; to state that it was God’s doing that these people suffered. What amazes me is that so many people readily accept what the GB says, and when a policy is changed that people accept that too. I will never understand how my own father accepted it without question. He hated anyone telling him what to do.

I will end with a verse that Ray Franz started with in Tradition and Legalism

Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of you tradition...their teachings are but rules made by man. Matthew 15:6,9 NIV

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I never knew about the Mexico/Malawi thing until after I left JW's and read CoC. Infuriating, appalling, sickening.

The August 1998 WT you quote was one of many small turning points for me. Such weasely, propagandish "reasoning".

• Swan
    Swan

I never knew about the Mexico thing either.

But what was even more revealing to me in reading this book was the way in which the governing body, after careful painstaking research and discussion, followed by prayerful meditation, were guided by God's Holy Spirit to make such crucial decisions that affected the lives of millions. Yes, it was revealing I and many other JWs had this impression, and yet it wasn't done that way at all. It had more to do with the boardroom politics of a corporation trying to pass a majority vote.

As a result, people died because they needed a transplant or blood or hemophilia medication. Countless marriages went into the toilet because of their arbitrary stance on oral sex. People were brutally tortured in one country because they couldn't buy a 25 cent ID card (much like our social security card), but in another country they were allowed to pay bribes to get a forged document saying they had served in the military.

I too couldn't read this book in one sitting. It made me too furious and I had to leave it be for several days. Filthy rotten buggers playing god with our lives with impunity! Grrrr!

Tammy

• kls
    kls

It only get's better towards the end.

• stichione
    stichione

Hi there. You are doing a fine thing reading CoC. But don't stop there, continue on with reading the other book Raymond Franz wrote, In Search of Christian Freedom.

• Corvin
    Corvin

It's funny . . . I use to live in Baja. I attended an all spanish speaking congregation for about a year, and never heard about the Mexico vs Malawi thing either. The brothers never talked (to me) about the bribing of officials in Mexico to obtain a fraudulent "cartilla". According to Franz, the practice was still going on when I was there.

I do recall that my ex-in-laws, Mexican nationals, spoke once of avoiding military service with the bribing thing. All my brothers-in-law paid for a bogus certificate. I was so dub-washed I never thought about the JW brothers doing it to.

It is a darn fine book. Keep reading.

Corvin

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Filthy rotten buggers playing god with our lives with impunity!

Well said, and great post Swan!

• bebu
    bebu

Was it unrighteous on Jehovah?s part to allow him to suffer for rejecting what he now might do without consequences?

They certainly didn't finish their sentence. ...Consequences from WHOM? Jehovah? Or the WT?

An amazing insinuation that questioning their flip-flops is akin to questioning Jehovah.

I read CofC a loooong time ago. I checked it out again a while ago, but couldn't renew it since it was an inter-library loan. I was extremely impressed with Ray's 'pedigree' in the first chapter. I don't think anything less than what he experienced would ever have taken him out of the WT.

Keep on reading!

bebu

• dorothy
    dorothy

Hey, I'm reading it right now too! I can't believe all the info in there, but it sure does make sense of a lot of things. We're even on the same chapter!

• nobody told me
    nobody told me

That were I am in the book. It makes one sad and angry to see so much needless sufering and not even an apology from the Watchtower.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit