My first time "storming" out!!

by lookingnow22 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Man
    Black Man

I feel what you're saying, Looking. I did the pioneer/bethel thing and found that I was sorely lacking when it came time to live in the real world. The WTS' whole focus on college has been wrong right from jumpstreet. They should have focused on how to gain a higher education and balance it out with spirituality instead straight out making it a "sin" to go to college. Now they are doing a constant backpedal routine on the whole subject. In Bethel they sorely need college educated skilled persons. If you were raised in the truth and did what you were told you subsisted on being a janitor or bank teller to promote your ministry. If you went to college you were BRANDED as a spirtual deadbeat. If you made it to Bethel you're thrown in cleaning or maintenance or bindery and told to be content with that for we are all God's workers. If you were a worldly person and went to college and THEN came into the truth and just so happened to apply for Bethel, you can be easily welcomed (depending on what field you studied) in as a doctor, lawyer, engineer and the like and no issue ever made of your spirituality because it was completely OK to do that BEFORE you came into the truth.

In fact one brother who was on the personnel committee a while ago, said that the fact that some friends went to college before they came into the truth shows industriousness and the brothers look at that favorably along with their spirituality.

The WTS owes an apology to the tens of thousands that forsook college education and bought into the rhetoric they were spouting for so many years and still are. It wouldn't repair the damage done, but at least it would be a consolation to those whose lives could have been way more meaningful. But no, you get the same arrogant BS along with the periodic articles in magazines and KM's about going to college now to further kingdom interests. Complete and utter bull-shit.

The concentration needs to be on taking an encouraging and NON-JUDGEMENTAL stance and focusing on how to be the best you can be and maintain have a spiritual focus. Spirituality is applying BIBLE PRINCIPLES and not serving the selfish interests of a publishing company.

• messenger
    messenger

It has generally been accepted that there is a 25% to 30% turnover at bethel on an annual basis. The bodies have to keep coming in to replace those leaving. Many jobs have been changed or done away with due to a corporate down sizing mentality. This to has caused some disruption among the "bethel family" causing some old timers to move on when they had a place to go. All this together means bethel is short handed and the service meeting insert confirms that. To my knowledge there has never been a complete insert dedicated to bethel recruiting. At times a small article on the inside or back page but nothing of this magnatude. They are hurting for help and short handed. The timing of this article is interesting also. Fall is a big influx time for newbies. This gives the district conventions time to pump it up, time to get the applications recommended, and sent in for the fall season. It seems obivious bethel is needing new blood and bad.

• Maximus
    Maximus

A corporate officer of the Society (NY corp) says that it takes one half the US Bethel family to care for the other half. Mmmmmmmm.

That's incredibly inefficient. So much for their vaunted efficiency, borne out by the many posts by temporaries and others.

The hard line is not very appealing to the young persons I've talked to.

Black Man, you really put it eloquently:
    ::The concentration needs to be on taking an encouraging and NON-JUDGEMENTAL stance and focusing on how to be the best you can be and maintain have a spiritual focus. Spirituality is applying BIBLE PRINCIPLES and not serving the selfish interests of a publishing company.

Now if only the Head Pollack could be convinced ....

Maximus

• Moxy
    Moxy

this is really interesting. JWD posted about this article before from the Japan KM and i was asking for the text because we dont have this insert in the Canada KM. no doubt the need at the georgetown branch, the type and degree of need, is not the same as brooklyn or ebina. but i would like to see the text of this insert.

lookingnow: i thought exactly the same thing when i read those directives. we may miss that part due to the DC, im not sure. i would find it difficult to get thru too.

mox

• mustang
    mustang

Alright, Black Man,

BE ALL THAT YOU CAN BE. You subtly sneaked in the old Army motto.
    I been thinking for years that they had a better take on life with that motto. Sure, you could get shot, but they not only rewarded 'putting out', they encouraged it and made it possible.

Welcome to the board.

Mustang
    Ex-pioneer

• Caole
    Caole

Just bringing this back to the top(by request)

• Flip
    Flip

Hi Homme Noir,

::The concentration needs to be on taking an encouraging and NON-JUDGEMENTAL stance and focusing on how to be the best you can be and maintain have a spiritual focus. Spirituality is applying BIBLE PRINCIPLES and not serving the selfish interests of a publishing company.

Your pragmatism is all well and good but first you have to ask yourself, is the WTBTS and it’s affiliates actually serious about helping as many individuals as possible or are they a business that has nothing to do with some cosmic spiritually other than use a self expressed declaration as an excuse for the same lucrative tax breaks any other religion receives.

Alternatively, do those who control the WTBTS purse strings feel that they have to be financially successful and then one day when they get around to it act as you described?

By their actions over many, many years this corporation has had every opportunity to make a choice of direction…they chose capitalism instead. Not necessarily a terrible choice, after all it’s the American Way is it not?

Let me be the first to wish everyone a Happy “First of July” (for our Canadian Friends) and “Fourth of July”(for our American Buddies)!

Flip

• noidea
    noidea

I found the part on the meeting entertaining?
    What is that scripture: The harvest is great but the workers are few.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit