Farewell to the Gipper...President Reagen

by ThiChi 13 Replies latest social current

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Farewell to the Gipper...President Reagan Reagan set in motion many great policies that most today do not realize. The fall of the USSR (do a search here for "Sick Bear" for the facts), killing Inflation, Cutting taxes while tripling the Nations revenue (too bad Congress did not follow suite and cut spending, as agreed), lifting the Nations spirits and pride after many years of failed policies. It was his vision of Amreica and his cause of Freedom that will forever ring though all the world. As a Witness in the early 80s, This was the first time I was ashamed not to vote and be a part of the pride and vision Regan commanded. His energy and vision, did, in fact, gave me the courage to break away from the JWs in the area of Higher Education, and I went to College and got a Degree, I wanted to do more than just "survive" until Armageddon came. I was a Photojournalist in the 80s and have many found memories (and photos) of when he made his campaign stops in the Orange County, CA area. Goodbye and thanks for your leadership! You affected my life, even as a Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Richie
    Richie

My 10 Favorite Reagan Quotes

10) The ultimate determinate in the struggle now going on for the world will not be bombs and rockets but a test of wills and ideas - a trial of spiritual resolve; the values we hold, the beliefs we cherish and the ideas to which we are dedicated.

9) I hope that when you're my age you'll be able to say, as I have been able to say: we lived in freedom, we lived lives that were a statement, not an apology.

8) Today we did what we had to do. They counted on America to be passive. They counted wrong.

7) I have seen the rise and fall of Nazi tyranny, the subsequent cold war and the nuclear nightmare that for fifty years haunted the dreams of children everywhere. During that time my generation defeated totalitarianism. As a result, your world is poised for better tomorrows. What will you do on your journey?

6) We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free.

5) You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done.

4) Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

3) And how stands (America) on this winter night? More prosperous, more secure, and happier than it was 8 years ago. But more than that: After 200 years, two centuries, she still stands strong and true on the granite ridge, and her glow has held steady no matter what storm. And she's still a beacon, still a magnet for all who must have freedom, for all the pilgrims from all the lost places who are hurtling through the darkness, toward home.

2) We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them -- this morning, as they prepared for their journey, and waved good-bye, and "slipped the surly bonds of earth" to "touch the face of God". (Speech about the Challenger disaster).

1) General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall. (Speech at the Berlin Wall)

• Richie
    Richie

Reagan's presidency was marked by expressions of his personal faith in God, and his dependence on the power of prayer. After he survived the assassination attempt by John Hinckley in 1981, just weeks after he took office, Reagan felt he had been saved by divine intervention, and that he was responsible to give something back. "I have decided that whatever time I may have left is left for Him," he told aides.

Reagan worked in radio before signing a contract with Warner Brothers in Hollywood during the 1930s. During World War II, he was a captain in the US Army, making training films and raising funds for the war effort. After serving several terms as president of the Screen Actors Guild, he left acting for politics, serving two terms as governor of California. Reagan was elected in 1980 to the first of two terms as President. He revealed to the nation he was suffering from Alzheimer's Disease in 1994, and has been living mostly in seclusion since.

President Bush on Saturday called Reagan's death "a sad day for America...His work is done," Bush said, "And now a shining city awaits him." At 93, he was the longest-lived President in US history. The Presidential Prayer Team asks all our members to be in prayer for Reagan's wife Nancy, who has cared for him unfailingly for the past decade, and for his children, Michael, Ron Jr, and Patti. Reagan will be buried at the Reagan Library in Simi Valley, California.

• Double Edge
  • Badger
    Badger

Not a Reagan Fan...but he had a broad appeal and really mmade an effort for bipartisanship. He was originally a New Deal Democrat who turned Keyesain economics on its head with his trickle-down economics. Had centrist support that the left couldn't stand (Much like Clinton).

They want to put him on the $10 bill...I say fine, as long as FDR gets the $20 and MLK gets the $50

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Badger... I enjoyed your post. Even though you weren't a fan of RR, you showed respect (and class).

They want to put him on the $10 bill...I say fine, as long as FDR gets the $20 and MLK gets the $50

I think that was idle talk that hasn't been taken seriously. I like the older 'guys' who are already on the money (even though I'm a RR fan).

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I am very touched by all the tributes to President Reagan. He wasn't a perfect man or President, but I highly admired the man and was fortunate enough to meet him in California when I was a little girl. He had just become Governor of California, and we visited Sacramento. I was only about 5, but my memories of him and Nancy leaning down to meet all of us little ones was wonderful. I remember Nancy gently brushing the tops of our heads with her hands when we went by her. He was the only man I voted for before I became a JW and voting became a no no. Now I look forward to casting my vote for Senator Kerry in November, the second person I will vote for President.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

KILLER, COWARD, CON-MAN
    GOOD RIDDANCE, GIPPER ...
    MORE PROOF ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG Sunday, June 6, 2004

by Greg Palast

www.GregPalast.com

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

A view from downunder:

I s'pose we shouldn't speak ill of the dead, but.......................

he worried me. I always got the feeling that he wasn't in control, but was a puppet of others who were pulling the strings, telling him what to say etc.

Now I could be oh-so-wrong I know but that's the impression I got and, as far as the Star Wars stuff, ---- groan!!!

But he seemed an amiable guy and will be missed. May he RIP.

Ozzie

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

PD:

What simplistic, agenda driven rubbish. Thank goodness people on the radical left like you are in the extreme minority!!

OZ: That is not what his Aids nor his fellow leaders state.......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit