Ozzie's Weekend Poll #97 (Worldly people)

by ozziepost 18 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day all,

We're a bit later in 'publishing' this weekend - sorry about that. My excuse is we were stuck up a mountain on the southern ranges. A glorious view though, so that was some compensation. Right now the winter season is upon us and although the days are bright and sunny, the nights are oh so chilly!

Anyway, are you ready for a bit of polling? Good, so settle back with a cuppa or a glass of shiraz and reminisce with us.

This weekend's poll question is:

So what did you really think of "worldly people"?

1. They were going to die at Armageddon. (you were a good dub, weren't you!!)

2. They seemed OK really.

3. Some were my best friends.

4. I could trust them more in business than "the brothers".

5. I wished they could come "into the truth".

6. Best to avoid them.

7. Who?

8. Never met any.

9. How could you tell the difference?

10. Only those in the Kingdom Hall would survive Armageddon so they couldn't be nice - could they?

11. They were the people who had all the fun.

12. They were the people we worked for.

13. Couldn't understand what all the fuss was about.

14. Other (please detail)

Well, there it is. Any comments? Please have a share in the poll and let us know your thoughts.

Enjoy.

Cheers, Ozzie

PS Just three weeks to go to our 100th Weekend Poll !!!!!

• Mulan
    Mulan

This is tough. I am trying to remember how I really felt, and not what I wish I had felt.

I think I was kind of afraid of them, like they were going to corrupt me if I spent time with them.

I do remember wishing they would "learn the truth."

So #5 and #6

• xLaurax
    xLaurax
    So what did you really think of "worldly people"?

Well it isnt part of the options... but practically all bar one of my friends are wordly and that's how it has always been and how i intend to keep it. Worldly people definitely have ALL the fun,lol

xLaurax

• Princess
    Princess

I always had so many worldly friends in school and was sad I couldn't do more with them. My parents were really great about letting me go to worldly friends houses after school, and I could always have them over, but it was still very limiting.

Later, Steve and I met with work associates socially and we would discuss how normal they were and we wished we could really just be friends with them.

As we were pulling back from the org I was working full time and would spend my lunch hours walking with a friend ( I was pregnant and it was before I started running!). I told her that people from my church would see us and probably ask me about her. It seemed so bizarre to say it out loud. The fact that the dubs would question my right to walk with my friend during lunch really started to bug me. We have remained friends now eight years later.

Good poll Ozzie! Have you something special planned for 100?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Dear Sister Princess,

We have received your request where you ask if anything special is being planned for the 100th Weekend Poll.

As you know, "true Christians" do not engage in the worldly practices associated with such events. There is good reason for this; Joe Ratherflawed wrote in the Watchtower magazine that he didn't like them, and the magazine has often been referred to by the congregations in determining what they will do in such matters.

Therefore it's not planned by the Society to mark the occasion in any way.

In writing we send our love and greetings.

Your fellow posters,

Ozzie and Posters Society

P.S. Rachel, any ideas?

• Princess
    Princess
    P.S. Rachel, any ideas?

No, I'm not a professional pollster like yourself. I'll think on it a bit though.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

14. Worldly people are a waste of space.

No, really, whenever I left the house I would look at the strangers around me with a feeling of faint, but persistent, irritation and contempt.

Eventually I realized that this was immoral. Then I left.

GentlyFeral

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Wished they would come into the "truth" and did not associate with them unless necessary. Nos. 5 & 6

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

#2. I had a feeling that I probably wouldn't have accepted the "truth" if I hadn't grown up in it. So I didn't really blame them for being "worldly".

• talesin
    talesin

I really had to dig back into the file to find the answer to this one. Keep in mind, I left at 18, so my impressions are all pretty much from the mind of a child.

1. They were going to die at Armageddon. (you were a good dub, weren't you!!) Yes, but I never really believed it deep down inside.

2. They seemed OK really. Yes, except it was always pointed out how worldly uncle so-and-so was a drinker, or so-and-so beat his wife or cheated. But at that age, I didn't know about the secret stuff going on within the congo.

3. Some were my best friends. Always wanted them, wasn't allowed.

4. I could trust them more in business than "the brothers". N/A

5. I wished they could come "into the truth". In a fuzzy sort of way, yes, so I could have some friends, and enjoy my worldly cousins' company more.

6. Best to avoid them. Nope, never understood that, since they seemed nice.

7. Who? That about sums it up, I was kept from knowing any.

8. Never met any. I did at school of course, but my viewpoint was severely skewed by indoctrination.

9. How could you tell the difference? They smelled of cigs, boys had long hair, girls wore jeans (shocking!).

10. Only those in the Kingdom Hall would survive Armageddon so they couldn't be nice - could they? This never made sense to me, as my grandmother was not JW, and she was the nicest person in the world. : ) We were brought up to think that some were nice, but they were the exception.

11. They were the people who had all the fun. Yes, yes, yes! They had 'friends', and went to proms, participated in sports and other extra-curricular activities. And they got to go to university, and be doctors or physicists or play music. I longed to be one of them!

12. They were the people we worked for. Nope, did cleaning from age 11.

13. Couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. Never thought of it that way till after I left, but yes.

14. Other (please detail) Most of all, I remember feeling sad that I did not belong. They seemed to be having fun, while my life was one of drudgery and obligation. Their freedom (growing up in the 60s and seventies, seeing the hippie movement and the emancipation of women) was something I longed for. Also, I wanted to be accepted by my peers ----> the only problem was, I had none. I was a solitary witness child, forbidden from worldly association, and left out by the other JW kids because of my family's zealotry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit