Only times people at the KH talked to me

by Nosferatu 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I was basically an outcast at the KH. Every once in a while, an elder would come up to me, and have the following conversation with me:

Elder: Hi Nos
    Me: Hello
    Elder: How are you?
    Me: Good
    Elder: That's good!
    *elder walks away*

...and sometimes the conversation was longer. Add the following:

Elder: How's school going?
    Me: Good
    Elder: That's good to hear!
    *elder walks away*

Whenever the CO would come to our hall, the above conversation would happen with more than one elder.

Then, there were the times at the end of a meeting when I gave a talk in the Theocratic Ministry School. Multiple JWs would come up to me and have this conversation with me:

Brother or Sister: That was a good talk, Nos!
    Me: Thanks

I remember when it first happened, it felt really good that people noticed me. As time went on, I just saw it as a duty.

...and THAT was my social life in the KH.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

Pretty much the same way for me too, but I keep them at a distance purposely. No point in having even more needy people disappointed in me when they annouce my name...

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I wonder if these conversations are taught to them by the society. They probably practice it over and over to get it right. They're the same conversations I had with the elders for 20 years.

Other than that the only times they talked to me was to either criticize something, ask for computer help, or ask for me to bring food to a building project.

Walter

• blondie
    blondie

Elder: Hi Blondie
    Me: Hello
    Elder: How are you?
    Me: Good Not very well, I'm just getting back on my feet after my surgery. I've been off work 6 weeks and I'm wondering how I will pay my bills.....Elder: That's good!
    *elder walks away*

Elder: How's school work going?
    Me: My job was eliminated and I have been on 20 interviews so far but no job yet...
    Elder: That's good to hear!
    *elder walks away*

Brother or Sister: That was a good talk, Blondie!
    Me: Thanks, what point stood out in the conclusion; I was working on that point?

Let me add one:

WT Study Conductor: That was a good comment you gave, Sister Blondie.

Blondie: I commented 3 times, which comment do you mean?

WTS Conductor: Well, you know I have a bad memory, as soon as I step off the stage, I forget everything.

• DireStraitJacket
    DireStraitJacket

someone: hey DS how you
    me: ok (wtf does this person want)
    someone: we missed your comment tonight
    me: oh, (gee, i haven't answered for six months, how come you only talking to me now)
    thats strange, I answered paragraph 6, about the holy spirit.. you must have missed it.
    someone: oh of course, yes thats right now I remember. Anyway, see you on tuesday..
    me: bye (idiot)

• angelo_1022
    angelo_1022

hello, firstly I request excuses beforehand by my English. Why you say those things? if you have problems with your social treatment that you have in the hall, say it to the elders, and tell them your problems. I believe that that is going to cause that they become aware and they are going them to help. Once again I request excuses by my english. good bye!

• 4JWY
    4JWY

This conversation got grand prize in our book:

We took a return visit to the hall for the first time (& last time) - he happened to be a non-white - we introduced him to an elder who jubilantly said:

" Oh, I've seen you before....on the WALL OF THE POST OFFICE!"

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

First of all, welcome to the forum, angelo!

Why you say those things?

Because it's the truth!

if you have problems with your social treatment that you have in the hall, say it to the elders, and tell them your problems.

I tried reaching out many times to others in the hall. Usually, they'd give me a funny look, say "Okkkayy" and walk away. Also it was the Elders themselves who were taking a phony interest in me. This wasn't going on for a couple of months, try a couple of years. I'd stand there at the hall, all by myself with nobody to talk to. I hated arriving at meetings early because it meant that I'd just stand there like an ideot.

Let me ask you this, how are the elders going to help? Are they going to go up to everyone in the hall and say, "You know, you should really take more of an interest in brother Nosferatu"? Or are they going to give me shit for not reaching out enough?

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    Or are they going to give me shit for not reaching out enough?

I usually stood around like an idiot because no one would talk to me. Once an elder came up to me and did exactly that - gave me shit for not taking the initiative to speak with others. He said people were probably uncomfortable around me because of my "past". When I did try people usually ran off to talk to someone else when I was in midsentence. You get fed up with that shit after a while.

I eventually discovered that if you could pin someone down to a conversation they became uncomfortable quickly because they had almost nothing intelligent to say. All they know is what they read in the bloody watchtower.

Walter

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I have to admit that I could have asked that questions. I am a rather introvert person. But somehow I wanted to show people that I cared (I am not sure if I really did but I wanted to make them comfortable at the hall because "it is the truth". Maybe I just copied those that asked me). I would ask questions like "How are you." "How's work." But if there really came a more qualitative answer I would be swamped with.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit