MILITARY DRAFT COMING BACK IN 2005 - STOP BUSH NOW

by cbew 39 Replies latest social current

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Well... if you DID do something as monumentally stupid as bringing back the draft...

... it could be a rapid end to extra-territorial millitary action by US Forces...

• Simon
    Simon

The bills to bring back the draft, both raised by Democracts, were designed to protest the war and try and make people think about some of the consequences of the path being embarked on. It does kind of bring the issue to the fore doesn't it?! They are not serious attempts to bring back the draft or suggest that it should be brought back.

I don't think there is any place for conscripts in any moderrn effective army but I suppose you can never discount it entirely, especially if a military is stretched. After all, they are already having to reduce troop numbers in S.Korea to make up those staying in Iraq longer than envisaged.

• zugzwang
    zugzwang

So I hear Toronto is nice, or what about Mexico City?

• zugzwang
    zugzwang

Oh yeah, I'm an old man now. They wouldn't draft me anyway.

• Daga
    Daga

Rangle is just trying to scare people. It's the same old Democrate tactic, you know the nasty Republicans are going to take your Social Security away, etc. This bill has zero chance of passing, it's just politics.

• avishai
    avishai
    The bills to bring back the draft, both raised by Democracts, were designed to protest the war

You mean the same democrats, like Kerry, who signed a resolution to GO to war in the first place? Just because it's a Republican administration, does'nt mean a shitload of dems. did'nt vote us over there too.

• cbew
    cbew

"Very unlikely that the draft will come back."

I agree that there is very little public support for the draft and none of the presidential candidates are going to discuss this topic this year. But this is slated for next year in 2005 after the elections are over. If this is just a political ploy by the democrats then can someone explain to me why the Pentagon is quitely trying to fill 10,350 draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots now nationwide? Any why has the Bush Administration added 28M dollars to the2004 select service system budget so that it can report its readiness for activation by Mar 31,2005?

When it comes to discerning honesty in the words of our public officials and leaders it is better to look at their actions and not their words. The fact of the matter is Bush has committed this country into a long protracted war against terrorism for the foreseeable future. American troops will be stationed in Iraq, Afganistan and various parts of the world and we are straining to fulfill our commitments. The reenlisment rate is way down and many are doing tours of duty over a year or more. Poor moral does more harm to a professional fighting force then adding draftess to help out. As I see it, and I hope I am wrong, their will be a draft coming.

• avishai
    avishai

There we go, cbew, now I can somewhat agree with you. It's just the idea that all republicans are warmongers, and all dems are peaceniks is patently false. Politicians in general suck.

• wednesday
    wednesday
    In case you think I am just a left wing radical out to get Bush I am not. I

yes i do think u are a left wing radical who believes in conspirices theories, and should follow crazydrinker151 suggestions of putting that foil on your head so it can't be probed.

weds

note, i just had surgery and am still on pain meds, please excuse mispelled words

• worldly girl
    worldly girl

cbew, I understand that you feel our founding fathers had certain ideals in mind when writing the constitution... I belive that is correct. HOWEVER, you must consider that at that time, the biggest threat they had was of ships coming over to attack our country... The DID NOT have or probably couldn't have conceived of the threat of someone flying plane(s) into office buildings.... THEREFORE my point is this.... in the day and age that we live in, we have to be everchanging as threats become ever changing. I want my privacy just as the next person does, but I think that for the overall safety of the general public, the government should have some safety precautions put in place.

This war is illegal under international law and was started under the false pretense that we were under imminent danger of weapons of mass destruction

I can't agree with that statement. Saddam Huessin was a weapon of mass destruction, and regardless of whether or not he actually had "weapons" or not. As you can see that man had more mental and verbal weapons than any physical weapons can ever be found, just by the continued support of Iraqi Militants.... This goes ALOT deeper than "weapons of mass destruction"....

WG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit