Any of you worked for Primerica? My experience at their "seminar."

by truthseeker 26 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

A few weeks ago, a brother called me out of the blue and asked me if I was interested in working for him. He told me he had his own business and was looking to "expand." He told me I "was a special person" with "good qualities" and "capable of going places." He said that "a lot of people end up working for someone else instead of themselves and are stuck in debt. They have no hindsight. they can't see a better way."

I was vaguely interested and then he asked me, "Have you ever heard of Primerica?" I responded that I hadn't. He wanted me to attend an "interview" on Wednesday evening at 7pm. I responded that I have classes then and couldn't. I said I would try to find another time later.

After another couple of weeks, he called again, and repeated the exact same conversation with me. I had "good qualities and attributes and I could go a long way." I asked him about the job and he was very cagey answering my question. I did not know what my job title woule be, my salary or what I would do. He gave me no details except to say that Primerica was part of Citigroup and were the number one business in America. At this point, I still didn't have time for an interview and told him I'd call back later.

The third time he called me, again, he said exactly the same lines! He sounded like he was reading a script. I told him that I would attend an interview and we set it up for 7pm.

What I didn't know was that I would be going to a "seminar"

I arrived at the location and went upstairs. I signed in and what I saw surprised me. A whole room of people all sitting in chairs. A red flag went up and I sat down and watched the 1 hour presentation.

If any of you aren't familiar with Primerica, it is basically a dubious pyramid multi level marketing company. Supposedly, they "help families" by consolidating people's debt, refinancing their mortgage and buying cheaper life insurance."

Working just 8-10 hours a week for this company, I could earn $1000 by finding two families willing to buy the whole Primerica suite of financial products. I could even be a vice-president.

Another red flag went up when we were all told that to join, you would have to pay $199 up front for training to get your license. This of course, they said, "would be reimbursed."

The whole seminar reminded me of a service meeting. The speakers spoke in exaggerated tone, and one guy passed a picture around of an old guy with two blonde babes by him looking like he was enjoying life. The speaker said that "when I saw this picture of that old guy making lots of money, I realized I could do this."

Apparently we were told that there is "no cold calling."

Seminar ended, and the brother asked me what I thought. I told him I'd think about it, but made up my mind to go on the net and see what came up.

My, was I surprised. Primerica use similar indoctrination methods to convince you that you can do this and they are extremely aggressive about recruiting. If I joined I would have to give out the names of family and friends for references (thinking background checks), but what they do is call them and get them to join up. From people's experiences of working for Primerica or attending their seminars, they have a pretty bad reputation.

Meanwhile, this brother called me again and wanted a decision. I told him no, he asked why, and I said that "there business practices were unethical." I also said that he was dishonest with me about the interview which was nothing more than a seminar. He said, "I was only trying to help you." Previously, he said that "we can't help everyone, those who are on welfare or aren't employed." I thought so much for helping families. He asked me if I could make a decision not to work for Primerica based on what I have read, and I told him, "that there are so many bad experiences out there, they can't all be wrong." By the way, if I signed up for Primerica, this brother would make a cut of every lead I came up with.

Theoretically, you could work for Primerica 40 hours a month, and make less then minimum wage. And your "business partner" gets paid more than you do and makes a cut.

He then proceeded to tell me that what I had read on the Internet was "filthy dirty lies," with no evidence to substantiate his claim. He got very heated and said that "attacking Primerica was attacking me because I am the company." He then compared what I had read to what the Society tells about reading negative websites on Jehovahs Witnesses.

It ended on a neutral tone, with him saying that "it's better that you don't work for Primerica as you don't have the qualities we would want."

This was a few weeks after he tried to boost my ego saying I was "a special person with good qualities who he is looking for."

If you do a search on Google, you will find many stories of people who worked for this company and how they were harassed and told to go to meetings. There is a lot of similarity between their methods and those used at the Kingdom Hall.

• blondie
    blondie

Steve Hassan talks about business cults. I wonder if this is one.

Blondie

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz
    He then proceeded to tell me that what I had read on the Internet was "filthy dirty lies," with no evidence to substantiate his claim. He got very heated and said that "attacking Primerica was attacking me because I am the company

Was it Primerica he was talking about or the UN scandal? :)

I dont know anything about Primerica but when I was pioneering on more than one occassion I was aproached for an "investment deal". I went to only two seperate meetings which were usually held in a resturant, before learning my leason. Turns out they were pyramid schemes, where for only $100 I could end up owning my own small country, or something to that effect. I guess once you feed in to the JW bullshit, it's alot easier to feed in to other bullshit.

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

When I first moved out of my moms house I had a couple of friends who were witnesses and we all got a house together. Well specifically me and one of my friends rented a house and our other friend, who had no job, lived in the den. We felt sorry for him because he had a very domineering mother.

Anyway, this out of work friend of course had a plan to make money, that plan was Primerica. Of course he wanted to sign us up, which we politely refused. 6 months went by and he made absolutely nothing on this venture, all the while, my friend and I were paying the rent and the bills, allowing him to live for free. When I got married this person was my best man.

After moving and subsequently leaving the witnesses, me and this person lost touch until this past April, when I saw him at a baseball game. We emailed each other back and forth a couple of times, and he asked me how I was doing in "the truth". I explained that I don't go and I don't believe it, but I don't want to make it an issue and I respect his beliefs. He suspiciously stopped emailing me back, which with witnesses is not entirely unexpected.

I had forgotten about him until just about a week ago, my brother in law, who is a witness, says that he saw this individual at a sort of witness softball game and told him "hey, I should have brought (me) it could have been a reuinion". This individual then launches into a tirade on my brother in law, about what he percieved to be my character or lack thereof. He did this in front of another former associate, who was also in my wedding who stood there stunned.

So to sum this story up, Primerica sucks, and the witnesses seem to be infected with this "get rich quick" scheme disease like no other group I have been associated with. I mean, my wifes cousin, who is a witness, has as her latest scheme, buying forcloseures and reselling them. Or profiting on the tribulations of others. I mean, I guess its ok seeing as how they are all going to die soon anyway, right? soon? Anyway, this venture will undoubtedly fail like every other scheme she has come up with in the last 5 years.

It seems that witness culture in general leaves someone bereft of fellow feeling for other humans, it also seems to strip them of common sense. I don't know if those are symptoms of being a witness or causes though.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

very interesting experience RandomTask.

Blondie, on some of the ex-Primerica!! sites I went to, people there did label them a cult.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz
    mean, my wifes cousin, who is a witness, has as her latest scheme, buying forcloseures and reselling them.

This isnt a scheme. In fact I have made money doing this myself. Leveraging with the bank's money. There is quite a profit to be made doing this. HUD homes as well. It's not making money of other's misfortunes. It's already in Default, someone else is going to buy it anyway, or it will stand vacant, which rarely happens, by the way, in today's market.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I went to one of the Primerica seminars about 9 years ago and the experience was similar. Funny, I went to an Amway meeting once too around the same time. And some other one whose name I forget. These people probably keep records and lists and share them. I had no previous contact with the Primerica guys and didn't know them. They called me offering a job interview. Since I was unemployed at the time I thought it was a response to one of the many resumes I sent out. In some ways the meetings reminded me of the kingdom hall, just minus the god stuff, and all seemed to put an emphasis on personal qualities, and they also mentioned something about "good association", as if that's what they considered themselves.

What is it about me that draws these cult boys in my direction?

Walter

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Sorry, let me clarify because I realize people do this legitimately chevys, but you just have to know my wifes cousin. Her attitude is one of laziness and an unwillingness to work for something and so everything she tries to do, to "get around" the conventional way of making money, turns to crap. It is this attitude and a lack of common sense that caused her to drain her parents savings (although they admittedly had other problems of their own) and has now drained her rich husband and is getting money from her rich in-laws. Its just a shame to see so much money and so many 'ventures' go to complete crap because of her ineptitude. This would not be the first of her schemes or ventures.

I mean, she is still a pleasant person to be around, but she doesn't have the sense God gave a spitoon. I see a lot of this when it comes to witnesses. And not all witnesses, but certainly there is a subculture within the witness group that subscribes to this notion of "money for nothing". Yes she is an avid seminar-goer.

• maxwell
    maxwell

I have a family member who worked for them. Maybe he still does. I don't think he ever called it an interview. He just gave me an "invitation" to a meeting. So I went and listened to them talk. I was not aware of pyramids and MLM's at the time, but I had already been a part of businesses that do sales at people's homes and I decided I didn't want to do that anymore. Plus I was busy with school at the time.

I wouldn't call them a pyramid, because I think pyramid denotes an illegal multi-level-marketing (MLM) structure. But they are definitely a MLM. They are legal because they are selling financial products. I went on a sales call with this person and when I watched this person do a presentation, the focus of the presentation to the buyer was on the financial products. There was no mention of getting that person to work under him. A pyramid would have little or nothing to sell and the main focus would be on recruiting a "downline" or someone under that person. However, I am glad that I did not join them. The person who talked with me and the people at the meetings were going on about how most people didn't know how to save and they were there to help the average family get their finances in order in the same way that wealthier people have financial advisors. It was kind of condescending when I think back on it. Well I'm pretty sure most of the information and products they have are easily available to anyone on their own with a little effort and you won't have to pay these sales people's commisions. Further, they try to push a particular type of insurance. I can't remember whether they sale cash-value or term life insurance. But I'm fairly sure they push only one or the other and neither one is always right for every person, although I'm sure term is best for most people. If one wants to save money, they should use something other than a cash-value life insurance policy.

Anyway, now that I think back on that Primerica meeting and meetings for other sales organizations the way they would pump up their sales people with very vague talk about financial success was very pressurized and designed to manipulate the mind to think one way without questioning. Perhaps that is the way it is in many sales and marketing organizations, because one must admit that is basically their aim. To convince a qualified buyer that he needs and wants whatever they are selling whether he needs it not. Most good salespeople will tell you that people buy things based on gut and emotion rather than logic so that's what they work on. "I love this car" "I've got to have that." That's where they are supposed to get you. And they don't get you there by giving you all the information. They give as little information as possible. Find out what makes the buyer tick and give them that and nothing else. But when you add dishonesty and multi-level-marketing it can get to be a bit much. There are MLM's and definitely pyramids that are worse than Primerica.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

OMG...Primerica!!!!!

When I was "new in the troof" I had a "brother" harassing the $hit out of me about starting my own business as an associate of his selling these junk financial products. And, he approached me with it much the same way, telling me that this was an opportunity to not be missed and how special I was to have been chosen to participate.

Talk about blowing smoke up a person's a$$.......

I went to the seminar, and before I knew it, just like you, I was being asked to provide the names of all my friends and family to recruit and sell these "products" to, of which he was to have gotten a sizable chunk of whatever was made. It got to the point where I was ignoring the brother's calls and when I finally did happen to answer the phone he chastised me for not apreciating the opportunity and for wasting his time.

It does seem that some JWs are more prone to falling for these scams. One of my bil's are always looking for a rich quick angle and JW mil has sold everything from Avon, to Amway, to Shaklee.

Hell, I'll bet she still has boxes of Shaklee vitamins from years ago that she hasn't been able to sell.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit