aLCOHOLISM in the congregation

by badboy 27 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

Were there any alcoholistics in the congregation you attended?

• Gadget
    Gadget

There was one in the last hall I went to. He was an unbelieving husband for years, then started coming to meetings. His wife was one of the main characters in the hall, so it was mainly overlooked, and he became the literature servant, and worked the mikes, attendant, etc. It was a standing joke that you could always smell drink on him, and we spotted him leaving an assembly at 11am(When the pubs open in the uk) and walking back in just in time for the lunchtime break a little unsteady on his feet.......... He was still doing jobs in the cong last autumn, and I haven't had any word since then.

• blondie
    blondie

My experience is that the elders ignore alcoholics until they get arrested for DWI. I know one elder (PO) who drank for years but it wasn't until he hit a car and killed someone that he was finally dealt. Rule #1, you will not embarrass the WTS publicly.

The sad thing is that this is a disease that destroys you physically unless friends/family intervene or you hit rock bottom and are forced into rehab.

The KH is the Land of Denial.

Blondie

• garybuss
    garybuss

?A report from one European country indicates that at times

some brothers and sisters arrive at the Kingdom Hall with a

strong smell of alcohol on their breath.?

(The Watchtower Dec. 15, 1996, p. 29)

• badboy
    badboy

What is DWI,blondie?

• blondie
    blondie

Driving While Intoxicated (DWI)(DUI driving under the influence in some states)

• badboy
    badboy

Blondie,you seem to get around a lot,where in Cornwall are you?

The land of my forefathers.(Some of them,anyway)

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Big problem in the congregations I've been, and even the one I attend now. BIG, BIG, BIG. Hispanics sure like their booze!

DY

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

One of our elders was an alcoholic, he was an elder from when I was a child into my adult years, always smelled of alcohol when he came to the meeting or before book study. He stepped down finally after that many years, and later died of liver damage......it was as if the other elders just turned a blind eye....great role model.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

only me......

but I was behaving myself........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit