If The Bible Is Truly The Word Of God...

by exjdub 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• exjdub
    exjdub

Why would he leave so many loose ends?

Believe me, despite some of my comments about religion and my feelings about the Bible, I do examine myself and my thinking process all of the time. I really do think deeply about my life and the lives of my family, and I really try to examine how I feel. The problem is, my trust was violated..many times. I feel, like most of you, that I have been spiritually raped. That has cause me to realize and conclude that the WTS does not have the Truth.

Because of the violation, I examine everything now to see if it holds water and I have a real hard time now accepting the Bible as the Word of God. I have a hard time accepting Christianity (or any religion)as anything other than a way to control people. Now I know some of you who still believe in Christianity would say that it is a matter of faith. I could accept that if there weren't so many holes that I see.

1. If the Bible is really the word of God, why would he allow manuscripts etc. to be destroyed or lost? when you have so many translations of the same book, many which contradict each other, wouldn't it be critical to have those preserved by the Almighty?
    2. If God's name is so important, why would he allow the pronunciation to be lost?
    3. How can a book be inspired by God, and yet, be so vague in so many areas...especially in connection with the afterlife, or hope for the dead? When I read of those things, I see the views of the men who wrote. God didn't inspire them to see what the afterlife would REALLY be like.
    4. If prophecy is there to help people see the "sign" of the time of the end, why is it so confusing and there is no clear interpretation? And how would you ever be able to verify a true prophet?

To have faith you have to have a solid foundation. I just don't see it. I think that some of the problem is that I am truly happy now, but I am trying not to close my mind to personal growth.

Well, those are just a few questions that roll around in my head and that keep the loose screws company. Sometimes when I think too much about it my head feels like a big melon and I just shut down. Too much processing. Am I crazy? I think what got me thinking is that I listened to Little Toe's DA talk yesterday. He spoke of having a profound epiphany about Jesus 6 months prior to his leaving the WTS. He described it as a very deep feeling about his relationship with Jesus. Anyway...Your thoughts (if you don't think I am a nut...well even if you do think I am a nut)?

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    If prophecy is there to help people see the "sign" of the time of the end, why is it so confusing and there is no clear interpretation?

Perhaps "God" is simply toying with people. If "God" loved people as some claim, and if the "times are critical" as JWs say, why can't a "God" who is SOOOO perfect and powerful provide clear and understandable documentation for us?

If I ever choose to worship some "God" again, it certainly won't be for his communication skills.

Walter

• gumby
    gumby

Exdub,

You have asked the exact same questions I did not too long ago. It was THESE questions you have just presented .....and finding the answers to them, that opened my eyes up to a whole new world. I didn't like that world at first because I felt vulnerable, afraid, lost, and sad. Once an ex-dub loses their religion......and THEN loses their bible based hope, another journey begins besides the journey out of the witnesses. Both jorneys are mindboggling.......but well worth the trip. Reality may be spooky for awhile,.......but at least it's reality.

BTW....you did a nice job at presenting your thoughts on this.

Gumby

• exjdub
    exjdub
    why can't a "God" who is SOOOO perfect and powerful provide clear and understandable documentation for us?

I guess that's what I was trying to say Itz. Thanks for your thoughts.

You have asked the exact same questions I did not too long ago. It was THESE questions you have just presented .....and finding the answers to them, that opened my eyes up to a whole new world.

That's a relief to hear that someone else had the same questions Gumby. It was scary at first, well...terrifying if the truth be told, when we first left the Org., and you hit the nail right on the head: First went the religion, then went the hope.

I have been out for some time now (7+ years) so I am not afraid about losing the hope anymore, because I don't believe in it, least ways not the way the WTS presents it, but I am very curious and think deeply on matters. I have PM'd a few people that have tried Buddhism and Taoism and have been interested in their experiences. I don't ask to pry, or to be obnoxious, I am just wide open right now and I guess I am looking to start a new journey, but have to break through some of the barriers of the fear of exploration that the WTS placed so deeply for 30+ years. I guess like any new adventure I feel mixed emotions of excitement, curiosity, and fear of the unknown. I think I might be ready though.

BTW....you did a nice job at presenting your thoughts on this.

Thank you VERY much for that comment. I took a deep breath before I pressed the post button. Sometimes my thoughts consume me and I wonder if I am crazy. I sure don't want anybody else thinking it. Or if they think it already, I don't need to remove any doubt!

exjdub

• exjdub
    exjdub

By the way Gumby...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I don't know how I missed that thread.

• EyeDrEvil
    EyeDrEvil

Hey exjdub,

First of all, great thread. I have grappled with this same thing. Some days better than others... When I first saw the cracks in the foundation, I too became very afraid. And very depressed. Now it is much better...

Still, I am not sure what to believe --- in the Bible? in any organized religion? etc... The questions you posed are good, foundational, relevant points worthy of examination...

You might find this book interesting. I read it and felt like a major veil had been lifted from my eyes --- Reading the Bible Again for the First Time:Taking the Bible Seriously But Not Literally, by Marcus Borg.

What really struck me was the author's ability to look at the bible AS A BOOK, WRITTEN BY MAN, but still allow the bible to have relevance to me, in 2004. And no matter where I land (if I do land anywhere specifically), I will still be able to put the Bible into a proper perspective.I enjoyed Marcus Borg's book so much, I bought a second copy for my wife. I know we will both be making notes in the margins as we each go through it again.

In the big picture of things, does it really matter if the Bible is historically true/ prophetically true/ truly inspired of God? I don't believe so. Otherwise, if God put SO MUCH importance on us believing it blindly, why would he have given us a brain to think? And why would he allow so much human meddling to mess up the message.

Just my 2 cents.

EyeDrEvil

• exjdub
    exjdub
    You might find this book interesting. I read it and felt like a major veil had been lifted from my eyes --- Reading the Bible Again for the First Time:Taking the Bible Seriously But Not Literally, by Marcus Borg.

If I can find it in the library I might take a look at it. I appreciate the recommendation.

if God put SO MUCH importance on us believing it blindly, why would he have given us a brain to think? And why would he allow so much human meddling to mess up the message.

And that, my friend, is the question, why would he? I don't have all the answers, just lots of questions...and the older I get the more questions I have. Thanks.

exjdub

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    If the Bible is really the word of God, why would he allow manuscripts etc. to be destroyed or lost? when you have so many translations of the same book, many which contradict each other, wouldn't it be critical to have those preserved by the Almighty?

No. "You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life..." So go other places "does not nature teach you"

If God's name is so important, why would he allow the pronunciation to be lost?

i.e. reputation - Isn't it important for others that his 'good' name is preserved - why would someone sp eak badly about another that they don't even know - eg. Fred is going to destroy the world or Fred is a scumbag - but having never even spoken to Fred or at best they've heard someone else's opinion about Fred, or someone's else's opinion about someone else's opinion about something Fred did - and even they were just guessing - and the people they were listening to were actually speaking a different language.

How can a book be inspired by God, and yet, be so vague in so many areas...

Change that to "yet be so vague to so many people who are seeking God in a book?"

If prophecy is there to help people see the "sign" of the time of the end, why is it so confusing and there is no clear interpretation?

Why would anyone seek things that are about ending everything ?

And how would you ever be able to verify a true prophet?
    True prophet? or true prophecy? As for true prophecy, something that you hear and know is true (ie. you identify with it, yeah) - usually hard for the world to accept or listen to (mainly reject it), until later. - eg. Bob Dylan
  • exjdub
    exjdub
    wouldn't it be critical to have those preserved by the Almighty?

No. "You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life..."

Paduan, I disagree, at least if you are going to build an entire religion around the Bible. You have to have proof that what you are learning came from the original manuscripts.

How can a book be inspired by God, and yet, be so vague in so many areas...

To who?

To anyone who reads it.

Why would you seek things that tell you about an end?

Because the Bible tells you to, that's why. Plus, that is what the whole theme of the Bible is...to get you to the end point.

And how would you ever be able to verify a true prophet?
    Someone who tells you something that you know is true (ie. you identify with it, yeah), and it's usually hard for the world to accept it or listen to it (usually reject it), until later. - eg. Bob Dylan

Picking a prophet because "you identify with it" is a recipe for disaster and a sure path to misplaced trust.

exjdub

• eljefe
    eljefe

If prophecy is there to help people see the "sign" of the time of the end, why is it so confusing and there is no clear interpretation? And how would you ever be able to verify a true prophet?

I think it was P.T. Barnum who said "people want to be fooled". By giving a vague propecy any outcome and application can be made. I make a significant parallel between psychics and many prophecies in the Bible. Both are vague and open to interpretation.

Just think of the prophesies about 607. You can't even pin down a good starting point for it. Rather there are multiple possible starting points. That way, you judge it based on algebra. Something happened on this day (1914) so something MUST have happened here (607,537). Or if something happened on this day, then something must have happened then and that proves the Bible right.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit