Ban on smoking in public places in the UK and todays news

by ball. 15 Replies latest jw friends

• ball.
    ball.

I worry about what way the world is going. We may reach a world where the government is reprehensible if they don't ban some dangerous activity, then we have prohibition all over again. So - what way is the world going?

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Ball, take a long hard look at the suit against the tobacco companies in the U.S. I think there's another on the horizon, involving either fast food companies or liquor companies. And I think that this sort of suit sets a dangerous precedent, demonizing business rather than those who make personal choices to over-indulge.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    I have no problem stepping outside for a smoke.

Yeah, that's great in California. Want to do that in an Irish winter (or summer, for that matter)?

• ball.
    ball.

Hey Derek, theres been another news item on bbc since this thread saying what a great success the smoking ban in Ireland has been. I'm very sceptical about such an early report. What's your view?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

So far it seems to be working quite well. Pubs are reporting that business hasn't been adversely affected; most people seem to have accepted it and it's now possible to spend an evening in a crowded pub without ending up stinking and covered in grime. There have been reports of increased trouble outside pubs and nightclubs however, and smokers may not be as happy to stand outside when the weather worsens. All in all, it's probably too early to tell but it looks like it's here to stay.

• xLaurax
    xLaurax

Hmm... well me and my family have had so many arguments about this. Like somebody mentioned before i'm all for no-smoking areas in bars and clubs but to ban it would seriously affect alot of people... one of them being my dad . I can enjoy the occasional cig when drinking but would ot class myself as a smoker and evry1 knows that alot of the time drinking and smoking go together. If there was an option where people could choose whether or not to inhale cigaretted smoke that would be miles better and the best of both worlds. God i don't know how my dad would cope if he wasn't allowed a smoke, he wud hate the idea of having to interupt his boozy afternoon to step outside! The one thing that i do hate when u go out though is the smell left on your clothes when u get home , guess that wud be one advantage but that aside i think it would be wrong....

xLaurax

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit