Ban on smoking in public places in the UK and todays news

by ball. 15 Replies latest jw friends

• ball.
    ball.

Ireland having just joined the list of countries banning smoking in public places, it has suddenly got media attention here in the UK.

As some of you know, I gave up smoking for a year and a half ago on a thread on this board. I started again, however, I have always, as smoker and non-smoker, believed that such a ban would mean an infingement on your civil liberties and freedom.

Then todays news along with a sad story about a 3 year old who died of obesity:

Obesity has now overtaken smoking as the biggest killer in the UK.

Then I wonder, why is this nanny state discussing banning smoking in pubs, when they should be logically banning beer, in light of the new statistics and all the beer belies they show in these news items?

• scotsman
    scotsman

Maybe because you can't passively drink beer but you can passively smoke.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz
    when they should be logically banning beer

Bite your tounge!

It would make sense that obesity and smoking would be at the top of preventable causes of death, that's pretty much all we have left now, what with all the breakthroughs in Medical science. It used to be people died from TB and chickenpox, even cancer is quickly no longer being thought of as a death sentence when discovered early enough.

• ball.
    ball.

Hold on, who would want to go into a smoking pub where there was no booze??? non-smokers?

(please don't forget I play Devil's advocate )

• Englishman
    Englishman
    (please don't forget I play Devil's advocate )

I think Ball mean he doesn't believe his own argument.

Englishman, passive drinker.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

p.s. California was one of the first states to ban smoking indoors. I personally agree with it. I do enjoy a ciggie when I drink, but thankfully here you simply step outside to smoke. They use undercover police many times to bust bars that are allowing smoking. Some still get away with it, but I for one dont like it. I dont think it's fair for non-smokers who want to come out and enjoy a beer as well. I have no problem stepping outside for a smoke.

• ball.
    ball.

Englishman knows me too well!

Chevy, we do have non-smoking pubs. It is their choice.

• ball.
    ball.

Oh come on! no one up for a good 'ol flame war???

• avishai
    avishai
    p.s. California was one of the first states to ban smoking indoors. I personally agree with it. I do enjoy a ciggie when I drink, but thankfully here you simply step outside to smoke. They use undercover police many times to bust bars that are allowing smoking. Some still get away with it, but I for one dont like it. I dont think it's fair for non-smokers who want to come out and enjoy a beer as well. I have no problem stepping outside for a smoke.

No kidding, I bitched and moaned, but when I go to a smoking bar in OR I hate it. And I'm a pack a day smoker.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

Personally, I think there should be a choice. Bar #1 has smoking; Bar #2 does not. Patrons may choose which to enter. I'll take one with ashtrays, thank you very much. Ashtrays, pool tables, and dart boards. Besides the booze, what else does a bar need?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit