Put on your copywriter hats...it's ad time!!

by seattleniceguy 33 Replies latest jw friends

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Thought of another couple I like:

-------------------------------------------------------

If a person disagrees with the President,
    is she disloyal or self-centered?
    Is it possible to disagree conscientiously?

-------------------------------------------------------

What do you think when organizations
    respond to detractors
    by name-calling and insults?

Mum, thanks for the post. Yes, I do believe that these ads could definitely be beneficial to people besides JWs. Taking off the header and having just a bare message there would be very interesting indeed. It may make some of the more JW-specific messages lose their meaning, but it has the advantage of appearing much more harmless to Witnesses.

I'd like to hear more discussion on this. What do you all think?

SNG

• bebu
    bebu
    JWs

Do you see what is there?
    Or what you have been told is there?
    How can you determine which is true of you?
    JWs

Why are name-calling and labeling
    unacceptable in logic?

These were the ones I liked. The others, I thought, might be a bit too deep; maybe a JW would miss the idea.

Here is another idea: why not quote something from the WT (give a reference) to support a thought? That is, the WT has published a lot of "it is very important to question" comments (aimed at other religions, of course). They hang themselves. Such a reference could come at the end of a quote like the one directly above; for example, Awake July 22 1964 p.19 has a very noteworthy exhortation to not just believe anything you read, but to verify the facts. I don't know how these reference are all abbreviated, but it could strengthen the point of the question/comment in the ad.

bebu

• bebu
    bebu

JWs

Do you feel like the 'emperor' is not wearing any clothes?
    If so, are you afraid to be the child who declares the truth?

Or,

JWs

How did the child KNOW the emperor was not wearing clothes?
    Should he have said anything?

• onintwo
    onintwo

Hey Seattle, excellent, excellent concept. Here's my contribution:

JW's

"If you let others choose for you....how can you say YOU'VE made a choice? Critically analyze their research."

Then add a link to previous quotes from the WT and obvious mis-fires.

Onintwo

• onintwo
    onintwo

JW's

A man went into a store to buy a shirt. He was directed to a display rack. The shirts were all plaid. They were all of one size. He was told not to look at any other racks, the seller knew which shirt was best for him. Finally he selected a plaid shirt. Did this man make a choice?

What does free will imply?

Simple allegory, but it may raise awareness.

Onintwo

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Bebu,

Thanks for the emperor metaphor. I like it.

Onintwo,

I like the shirt allegory. I've found the concept of true choice to be difficult to get across to Witnesses, since they are convinced that they make all their own decisions. Your illustration is illuminating.

Nice avatar, too! :)

SNG

• Corvin
    Corvin

seattle, I love your idea, but I am sorry, and not to offend, but your list of teasers would not appeal to me or spark my interest in the least if I were a JW. I think maybe a term or phrase the JW's are very familiar with is more alluring.

What got my attention and helped me to think was when someone took the JW dogma and standards and turned it back on the WTBTS. That did it for me. Scripture is a good start since the WTBTS claims to be completely Bible based.

Corvin

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Here are the two that woke me up. I did not see them anywhere: they popped into my own head.

• Are you afraid to apply the Golden Rule
      for fear of stumbling someone?
    • What keeps unbelievers honest?

GentlyFeral

• wasasister
    wasasister

To take Corvin's thoughts a step further:

When I was a JW, I would not have even looked at anything anti-JW long enough for it to register. I routinely walked past the signs at DC's without "seeing" them.

You can't force people to think. They have to be ready.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Be like the Boreans

Investigate thoroughly and defend your beliefs

Truth need not hide from accusation of falsehood

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit