Words and Phrases from the UK

by Nosferatu 30 Replies latest jw friends

• ball.
    ball.

You can't come to the UK without that fag = cigarette.

• dh
    dh

cupa = cup of tea - as in... want a cupa?

brew = cup of tea - as in... want a brew?

put't wood in't hole - yorkshire for 'close the door'

in the uk the word piss has more uses than in any other country.

take the piss - to mock someone

take a piss - take a piss

get pissed - get drunk

pissed off - a temporary state of venomous rage

piss funny - so funny it made you want to piss

pissface - this has many applications, mostly just a name to call people you don't like

pissant - a fool who seems to like being a fool

i was pissed - that could either mean 'i was drunk' or 'i was angry/pissed off'

plastered - drunk

gatted - drunk

bollocks - usually this is said loudly at football games like WHAT A LOAD OF BOLLOCKS... Hooligans... bollocks = testicles in context it's just like saying 'what a load of garbage' but different.

football - soccar

there's so much other vulgar filth that comes from the uk, it could fill a book!

• Corvin
    Corvin

bracegirdle?

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

What the heck does Blimey really mean?

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

You mean ....."Cor Blimey!" ........it means astonishment, profound astonishment. The Canadian girl I used to live with used to laugh at this one, she'd say "Jesus H. Murphy", to express similar astonishment.

I was like What? LOL

Scoob

• dh
    dh

blimey expl. A nice mild expletive, blimey is (in terms of rudeness) on a par with "wow" or "my goodness". It was originally part of the phrase "cor blimey", which was apparently a contraction of "god blind me" which was in turn an abbreviated version of "may god blind me if it is not so".

take from: http://english2american.com/dictionary/cat_expletives.html

• DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW

I reckon this might be the place to ask a question...

some 15 years ago I worked with a brit and it was all bloody this and bloody that...and every guy was a bloke. Now then, since I tend to mimic those I'm around, the phrase "bloody bloke" came about and sounded quite british to me but I was continually told that it was NOT proper and didn't mean a bloody thing. "You cahn't say bloody bloke! Blimey, it don't mean a bloody thing, bloke."

So what's up with "bloody bloke"?

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

The one British word that has found it's way into my vocabulary is: daft. And, believe me, when these Arkies hear me use it, they look at me like I'm daft.

(I hope I used it right. Otherwise I haven't been using it properly at all!)

Country

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

dh:

there's so much other vulgar filth that comes from the uk, it could fill a book!

Yeah!! Let's hear it for the good old U F*ing K!!!

You got the usage spot on, ya daft sod!!

Just to avoid further doubt, here are some other phrases used by men and women, and their actual meaning too:

DICTIONARY FOR WOMEN'S PERSONAL ADVERTS: 40-ish.............................................49 Adventurous....................................Slept with all your mates Athletic...........................................No tits Average looking...............................Has a face like an arse Beautiful.........................................Pathological liar Contagious Smile............................Does a lot of pills Educated........................................Was f*cked to bits at Uni Emotionally Secure.........................On medication Feminist.........................................Bad hair and no dress sense Free spirit......................................Junkie Friendship first...............................Former sl*t Fun................................................Annoying Gentle............................................Dull Good Listener................................Autistic New-Age........................................Body hair problems Old-fashioned.................................No Oral Sex (BJ's) Open-minded..................................Desperate Outgoing........................................Loud and Embarrassing Passionate....................................Sloppy when drunk Poet..............................................Depressive Professional...................................Bitch Romantic.......................................Frigid Social............................................F*nny like a clowns pocket Cuddly...........................................Fat Voluptuous....................................Very Fat Large lady.....................................Hugely Fat Wants Soul mate..........................Stalker Widow..........................................Murderer WOMEN'S ENGLISH: 1. Yes = No 2. No = Maybe 3. Maybe = No 4. We need... = I want... 5. I am sorry = you'll be sorry 6. We need to talk = I need to complain 7. Sure, go ahead = I don't want you to 8. Do what you want = But you will pay for this later 9. I am not upset = Of course I am upset, you moron! 10. Are you listening to me? = Too late, you're dead 11. You have to learn to communicate = Just agree with me 12. Be romantic, turn out the lights = I have flabby thighs 13. You're so manly = You need a shave and you sweat a lot 14. Do you love me? = I am going to ask for something expensive 15. It's your decision = The correct decision should be obvious by now 16. You're certainly attentive tonight = Is sex all you ever think about? 17. I'll be ready in a minute = Kick off your shoes and find a good film on TV 18. How much do you love me? = I did something today that you're really not going to like MEN'S ENGLISH: 1. Yes = Yes 2. No = No 3. Maybe = Maybe 4. I am hungry = I am hungry 5. I am sleepy = I am sleepy 6. I am tired = I am tired 7. Nice dress = Nice t1ts 8. I LOVE YOU = LETS HAVE SEX 9. I am bored = Let's have sex 10. What's wrong? = I guess sex is out of the question 11. May I have this dance? = I'd like to have sex with you 12. Can I call you sometime? = I'd like to have sex with you 13. Do you want to go to a movie? = I'd like to have sex with you 14. Can I take you out to dinner? = I'd like to have sex with you 15. Will you marry me? = I want to make it illegal for other men to have sex with you 16. You look tense, let me give you a massage = I want to have sex with you within the next 3 mins. 17. Let's talk = I am trying to impress you by showing that I am a deep person - because I'd like to have sex with you. 18. I don't think those shoes go with that outfit = I'm gay

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

let me have a drag on your fag - let me have a smoke of your cig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit