Words and Phrases from the UK

by Nosferatu 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

This is mostly directed to all of you from the UK. I listen to a lot of music from the UK, but there's some, I guess slang that I don't completely understand.

Raw Ramp: as in "You're a Raw Ramp". I have no clue what this means

Sod: as in "Sod the neighbors". I'm only guessing it means "piss off"

Bloke: I'm still unsure about what this word means exactly

There's some stuff that I've already figured out. I found out that "Top of the Pops" is a TV show. I also know what "Loo" means, LOL!

If there's any you'd like to add, feel free!

• Angharad
    Angharad

Bloke = Man

Sod = as in sod off, get lost etc

Raw Ramp - I've no idea what this means !

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

I lived in England for quite a few years and collected many cute sayings:

Stone the crows (expression of amazement)

I should cocoa (expression of emphatic agreement)

Tear a strip off somebody (read them the riot act, tell them off)

Take the piss (mock, also take advantage of)

Big girl's blouse (a wimp) (an especial favourite of mine)

Have a slash (take a piss)

They also have cockney rhyming slang which constantly evolves and if you're running with a crowd who's into it you have to be really sharp to understand them at all. An example

Look = butcher's hook

Lies=porky pies

and so on, but then only the first bit gets used, so you can get a completely incomprehensible sentence like "I reckon she's telling porkies, but I wouldn't mind having a butchers".

I loved it all, I found it really playful.

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

Nos:

I'm interested to know where you heard 'Raw Ramp'... it's something I'm unfamiliar with too!!

Other colloquialisms you may come across are:

Bog - same as loo

Fella, Marrow, Chap, Geezer - all same as Bloke

Cob, Bap, Roll - bread rolls.

Mixed - Chips and mushy peas

Duck, babe, darling - general familiarities with reference to ladies (some get offended by these.. why ? I dunno, if you were to call them SplitAr*e instead, I could understand them being offended by that! )

Cockney rhyming slang is too much even for most UK citizens to take in, so it's not worth going down that route....!

Here endeth todays lesson!

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

Following on from MyAuntFanny.....

Take a piss - "Point Percy at the Porcelain"

Throw up in toilet - "Talking to god on the big white telephone"

Defecating - "dropping the kids off at the pool", "One stuck in the departure lounge" or "Going to release a Chocolate Hostage" or after a very hot curry.. "pebble dashing the loo", "Squirting like a blood orange"

Masturbation (Can I say that here?) Male:"Shaking hot white coconuts from the veiny love tree", "Indulging in the pleasures of the palm", "Owninism", "Bashing the Bishop", "Choking the Chicken", "Stroking the One Eyed snake"

Female: "The KitKat Shuffle", "tapping the tuppence"... Why so many for men, not women ???

Menstrual Cycle - "On the blob", "Painter and decorators are in", "Arsenal is playing at home (the red flag is flying)"

Making Love - "Shagging", "Horizontal Mumba", "Horizontal Jogging", "Boffing", "Doing the Doo", "a bit of How's yer Father"

I did warn you guys about my sense of humour!!!!!!

• oscar
    oscar

I am pissed and randy can someone show me to the louu,how is that for proper english?Can anyone figure that sentence out?

• Duncan
    Duncan

On the old rhyming slang front, a particular favourite of mine is "arris" - as in " and the fella's gorn and landed on his arris".

It's actually rhyming slang for arse - but it's at a double remove, and has nearly ended up at where it started.

It goes like this: arse = bottle (bottle and glass)

but bottle has its own rhyming slang - arris (Aristotle)

So, arse gets back to arris in two moves.

Duncan - Gorblimey guvnor!

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

For shagging I thought "bumping uglies" was funny.

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

myauntfanny:

bumping uglies

ROFLMAO!!!! Excellent - had never heard that!!

oscar:

pissed and randy can someone show me to the louu
    Well done son!!! However, you failed to clarify if you wanted some bird to go with for a shag, whether you needed to release a chocolate hostage, point percy at the porcelain, or were merely going to engage in the delights of 'owninism'
  • Gopher
    Gopher

UK US

Lift Elevator

Bobby Police officer

Parambulator Stroller (baby carriage

Football Soccer

Flat Apartment

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit