Six Flags shouldn't have let morbidly obese man on roller coaster

by ThiChi 14 Replies latest social current

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

I'm sorry, but I can't get this picture out of my mind, a 365 pound Man flying through the air....

Six Flags shouldn't have let morbidly obese man on roller coaster Six Flags Darien Lake, N.Y., amusement park in will pay $3.95 million to a man who sustained a large abdominal hernia after being ejected from the park's Superman--Ride of Steel roller coaster. In 1999, Michael Dwaileebe, a 365-pound man in his 30s, was propelled up and out of his seat as the coaster traveled over a "camel-hump" hill. He fell forward, bounced off another car and fell to 8 to 10 feet. He sued Six Flags and the ride's distributor, Intamin Ltd., claiming that the lap-restraint bar could not accommodate someone his size and the park should not have allowed him to board the ride. The New York jury assigned 90% negligence to Six Flags and 10% to Intamin, but that the latter's negligence was not a proximate cause of the accident.

Dwaileebe v. Six Flags Darien

• Mulan
    Mulan

So he takes no responsibility for this accident?

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

That is the type of society we live in. I get this litigation e-mail each week, and it would blow you away what juries award people.....

Like this one....

Woman who fell exiting elevator blamed its alignment with floor of lobby

A woman who claimed a lumbar injury requiring fusion as a result of a fall while exiting a hospital elevator, settled a premises liability claim against the hospital and a negligent maintenance claim against the elevator manufacturer for $660,000. Denise DeLao claimed that, due to an elevator malfunction at Sequoia Hospital in Redwood City, Calif., when the doors opened and she stepped out, the floor of the elevator was higher than that of the lobby, causing her to stumble. She sued Schindler Elevator Corp., Morristown, N.J., and Sequoia. Sequoia blamed Schindler and Schindler claimed that DeLao was at fault for not looking where she was going. DeLao settled with Sequoia for $35,000, then with Schindler for $625,000. Haskin v. Union Pacific Railroad Co.
  • Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

I don't know about safety nowdays at the midway rides, but I worked 'up high' in construction most of my working life.I am use to it.... STIIL i would never ride on the midway because of the "burnout" roadies who managed the operations.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

It is six flags fault. It is just like if they let a too short person ride. All those rides have a weight limit per passenger. So one of two things happened. He was underweight and their safty equipment was failed, he was over weight and the let him on anyway, or worse he was too physicaly large and they never secured him properly. Basically it is totaly their fault becaue they own the ride and something was negelected. If a women was 9 months preganant and they lets her on and she sued it is the same thing.

• Brummie
    Brummie

If they had not have let him on he would have sued them for being biased and unfair.

Brummie

• Nikita
    Nikita

Just what I was gonna say, Brummie! I guess great minds think alike and so do ours, huh?!

Niki

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

He can't sue for not being let on the ticket says they have the right to ban anyone from a ride or eject them from their property.

They can sell everyone a ticket but you really have no right to stay in the park becaue you are a guest or visitor. I know there are discrimination laws but in many places parks are protected by law and have a speacial status. Infact some places resorts are unsueable for certain injuries such as ski parks.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

On first glance, my first thought was "how stupid". But thinking about it... Six Flags does essentially guarantee the safety of people on rides. If they cannot guarantee someone's safety, they should tell the person that.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

I once dated a "morbidly obese" guy. He NEVER went to amusement parks for this very reason. We went to Universal Studios once and he tried to get on a ride and the operators wouldnt let him on. It was terribly embaressing for him, and I felt terrible as well. But it was udnerstandable why they wouldnt let him ride.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit