How did you get out of field service?

by Mulan 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

When I was a kid, we had the meeting for service at our house on Saturdays. I would seem to be getting ready in my room and when Mom went into the living room, I would run into her bathroom and get in the shower. I had long hair, and no hairdryers in those days. That did it for me. She fell for it all the time too.

So, what did you guys do?

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Start Coughing really loudly. Then when i was pregnant pretend to throw up. That also worked for the meetings..

• New Castles
    New Castles

I would fake the stomach illness, that usually work...if not then I would purposefully stay in bed until it was too late for me to get ready.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I was pretty fortunate.. because my dad was not a JW and he would get upset when his family did go in service, mom found it hard to get us kids out most months. She tried to get at least one hour but many months that was about the best she could do...

If dad was home Sat morning we didnt' have to go.. and of course mom went out during the work week when we were in school..

summers were more difficult though..

• Mulan
    Mulan

My kids tell me they used to lay in bed on Saturday mornings, hoping I wouldn't call them for service, or that we weren't going out. The latest I would call was about 9. I would call to them through the floor vents. Poor kids.

• Sassy
    Sassy

where I found it more difficult was when staying at friends houses who parents expected us to all go in service..

or even as an adult when going to stay with JW friends who then invited you out with them the next morning..

more than once my back really was bothering me from sleeping in an foreign bed.. too painful to move too fast..

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

As a kid living at home......

Prayed very fervantly to Jehovah for rain or heavy snow, or bitter cold, or any such Northern Ontario pestilence.

On cold nights, I would trip the circuit breaker to the car's block heater, hoping the car wouldn't start in the morning. Letting the air out of one of the tires during summer worked.

Misplacing the Awake and Watchtower magazines.... "Opps must have left them at the Kingdon hall, or did I?"

Misplacing the car keys worked well.

Shutting the alarm off on the parents clock worked at times.

Loud faked vomiting from the bathroom had it's uses.

Sleeping over at JW friends house on a Friday night, and performing any of the above stunts.

I think I was very resourceful.

• betty boop
    betty boop

after i turned 13 i always had "cramps"

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

After I had three kids..I always had a good excuse..someone was always getting something..

If I did it too much..the sisters would offer to come over and babysit..and they would miss the meeting or go in service on another day..

They didn't want anyone to miss too much..wasn't that thoughtful?

Didn't matter..I still left.

After hubby started going back..we shared time off...

Golden Girl..aka..Snoozy

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

Menstrual Cramps.

Of course, that excuse could only work once a month, durn it.

-Doodle-V

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit