The Definition of Dialect

by Ariell 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Ariell
    Ariell

A regional or social variety of a language distinguished by pronunciation, grammar, or vocabulary, especially a variety of speech differing from the standard literary language or speech pattern of the culture in which it exists: Cockney is a dialect of English

This is one of the definitions for dialect that I found at Dictionary.com. I think ebonics fits the profile of this definition. I always thought of ebonics as a dialect, before I even heard someone confirming it. This goes back to my childhood when I first learned what dialect meant. I would like to know why some of you don't believe ebonics is a dialect according to that definition. I don't speak correct english around family and friends. "um finna go to the sto" "what she talkin' bout?" [Translation: I'm about to go to the store. What is she talking about?]

• Ariell
    Ariell

.....................continued

This is the way I was raised to talk, but I know how to speak correct english. I don't write the way I talk. Yes, I could speak "correct" (Standard American English) at all times, but to be honest, it makes me feel uncomfortable, like I'm being a phoney. However, I do speak "correct" english when I feel it is appropriate, out of respect. To say that ebonics is not a dialect and that those who speak it are uneducated just because you don't like the way it sounds, I think, is unfair.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

Maybe you are right - I am not familiar with ebonics (sounds to me if it is a language spoken by black people?) but your definitions are correct interpreted I think.

To say that men and women are uneducated - just by the way they pronounce the language, is stupid.

• Nina
    Nina

When I was growing up my mother wouldn't let me speak anything except Standard English. It was a crusade with her. When I was less than four years old she taught me to repeat things like "Do you enunciate and articulate correctly?" Try saying that aloud, perfectly, right now. She didn't let me say things like "how 'bout a kiss?" (a popular expression when she was a teen) although she might say it herself. I had to say "Would you like to participate in an osculatory display?" Imagine a little kid coming out with an expression like that! I never used slang. I seldom used contractions. I was not allowed to associate with other children of my age and cultural background. I honestly didn't know that my background was the same as theirs. I grew up viewing people of "my own" as "different". BTW, this was all pre-JW days. No one in my family has ever been a JW, that came later and involved only me!

When I finished high school it was easy to find a job. I talked the talk! Again, I had no idea that I was different. I moved from childhood into adulthood never perceiving that other people had, as part of their personal repertoire, something "more".

I married "out of my class". That's when I started to notice that something was going on. Since I didn't know that there were other ways to "be" I married a person from another cultural/ethnic group thinking that we were "just the same". Of course in some senses we were, but I didn't comprehend that just because we were both raised to speak Standard English that there were other phenomena lurking in the background. One of us was "dirt poor", one of us was "rich". One was one "color", one was another. One set of relatives was prejudiced, so was the other but with a different set of prejudices! When his mother refused to let me ride in her car I knew I was up against something I had only heard about in the past. I blame quite a number of his problems as well as the eventual demise of our marriage on a failure to recognize valid cultural differences as well as an abysmal lack of human respect.

I lived solely in a world of Standard English speakers. Becoming involved with JW's was another adventure into a world of Standard English. Again, I thought it was the only way to speak, so the "friendship" offered seemed wonderful to me. I did not perceive that they were using the word "friend" in a marginal way. I had no way to apprehend that the Witness definition of "friendship" was different than mine. I knew only one way to live and to speak.

Standard English is designed to conduct business. It's a trade language. No one, and I repeat, no one comes from a culture where Standard English is the native tongue. Standard English designed for use by people who are assuming a role in a transaction. When the transaction is complete they exit that role. When they act in their personal lives they are free to choose either Standard English or some dialect, theirs or another they have learned along their way. To use anything other than Standard English in corporate professional life is counterproductive. To use a dialect may win a sale or influence a deal but it is used therein as a tool and not as true communication.

Over the years I have learned a lot about language. I?ve learned about dialects as well. I?ve learned that going back and attempting to integrate into one?s birth "culture" does not produce the same result as growing up within that group. There is no communal experience, thus I have no "roots".

I wish that I had known long ago that Standard English is part of an educational process. To be educated does not mean giving up who you are or where you come from. Education is meant to enhance, not to replace. In addition to providing instruction in Standard English perhaps it is also necessary to define its role. Presuming that this is universally understood can be the source of much miscommunication.

Nina

• PeaNUT
    PeaNUT

I remember taking a linguistics course as an undergrad. The instructor was the English Department Chair for the university. One day he wrote the word "probably" on the board and then went on to ask the class for the different pronounciations of the word such as "problee", "prally", etc. One of my classmates stated that those were "uneducated, incorrect pronouciations. The professor corrected my classmate and stated that linguistically, as long as the meaning of the word is transmitted, pronounciation is a non-issue. I loved learning that. I think of it often when I hear something pronounced dialectically.

• Obviously Secret
    Obviously Secret

I come from a background of poor blacks pretty much. My mom and my grandma and my grandma's mom all lived in fifth ward texas, a place where if you talked any way other than "the way" your going to be isolated, nobodies going to talk to you at all. So I had to pick up on that. I was mostly in schools where people usually talk in a way you might see on TRL most the time. Then I had a major culture shock and I had to bring my "roots" in to not be isolated. I see plenty of people that don't talk the talk or don't walk the walk and they live high school life hellishly.

A person called me fake since I told them that I use more than one dialect when I'm talking in private, depending who I am around. I can talk very good "Standard English" Vernacular, however, it just seems pointless at times. When I'm showing respect to teachers I try not to sound too professional cause I mean I gotta be with this teacher for a year I don't want to have a business relationship, would rather have a friend relationship. So I speak in a kind of mix between total ebonics and total proper english. I dunno you gotta switch it up sometimes. Alot of times people feel threatened cause they may speak in a less proper way socially and your talking like your on a job interview and that turns people off sometimes. That could have been a best friend, but you drove em off cause you aren't umm.. "In" with the way to talk. So I dunno I say learn as much as you can and hang yourself around all types of people. Even professional people at times talk in their own kind of way. I like those IBM commercials, they talk in business slang alot of times.

I usually surround myself with all kinds of different dialects. You can't understand life if you hang around the rich crowd all day right?

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

... nice

• Returning2LA
    Returning2LA

Hmm...

I tend to understand ebonics as it is refered to here as a specific vernacular spoken not only Afro-Americans, but also by Anglo-Americans residing primarily in the southern regions of this country. This being a by-product of the orgins of most transplanted black families from the plantations there. This is not an inferior manner of speaking, as most eurocentric arrogant teaching would dictate. The Brittish may have perfected a certain version of English. But it has not been proven to me that they created it. So therefore, little if anyone has any authority to demote ebonics or any other variation of the language as inferior or improper.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

I havnt seen any books published in Ebonics lately, you?

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

The most incomprehensible 'dialect' is Watchtower/JW dialect doublespeak mealy mouthing deflection lingo.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit