JW - non JW relationships

by sjf84 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• sjf84
    sjf84

I'm sure that if I had come to this website as a non-JW looking for information on this cult when I was dating my JW girlfriend, I would not have taken any notice of a message like this. But I cannot stress this enough to any non-JW in a relationship with a JW: GET OUT NOW!

It is only natural to believe that your relationship will be different to the other failed relationships between believers and non believers which you read about on boards like these. But I promise it's not. End it sooner rather than later. In fact end it right now.

Being a JW is so much more than a belief. It's a complete way of life. The sooner you accept that as a non-JW you cannot be with a JW, the easier it is for everyone, especially yourself.

I dated a JW and I regret it so much. My mistake was thinking that our love - and it really was true love - would be enough to overcome any problems that we had based on our religious beliefs (I'm a dedicated aetheist!!).

Basically she left the organisation not long after meeting me so that we could be together. About 5 months later we moved in together. And although it was hard for her in that her friends completely stopped talking to her, I was as supportive as I could be, and she was popular with all my friends. We seriously talked about marriage and children, and were very much in love.

But suddenly, completely out of the blue, she told me she missed her life as a JW, and within a couple of weeks she had moved back in with her parents.

Now she does not even talk to me, I'm assuming because if she continues talking to me she will not be fully accepted back into this vile organisation.

I have wasted so much love, so much energy, so much money, so much hope on this relationship. She was brought up as a JW, and I think when this is the case, however hard they may want to escape the Watchtower, they have experienced too much propaganda and too much indoctrination to be able to become a "normal" worldly person.

I am now trying hard to rebuild my life, which was completely destroyed by this. And although I have cried about her every day since she left, I know I have to be thankful that it was not after we had married as that would have been so much harder.

Any one in a JW / non-JW should end it now. It just does not work. However wonderful a person you are, a non-JW cannot compete with an organisation which exerts so much mind control over its members, especially when the family of your JW partner is also in the clutches of the watchtower.

Ultimately the JW will have to choose: you, or the ideas and beliefs which they have spent years being brainwashed with, along with their family and friends. They will always choose the latter.

Some posts on this site have advised non-JWs to continue with their lives, and not waste time on hoping the JW will come to his / her senses. This is the best advice. Don't waste your time trying to convince them - they are trained to direct their love only to Jehovah (and the Watchtower!).

Similarly, some posts here have said that maybe the JW will come to his / her senses. Don't count on it though. And from my experience, I would urge all non-JWs to be sceptical that a JW can ever truely become a non-believer. In my case, my girlfriend told me that she was completely over being a JW and that she didn't believe what this cult preached. That turned out to be one of many false statements.

I cannot emphasise this enough. If it saves just one non-JW from getting hurt this post will be worth it. Leave now. Because these relationships DO NOT WORK.

All the best to everyone in a situation like me, who has been left destroyed by something like this.

Simon, a devastated guy in England, but fighting on and looking to the future.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Welcome to the board and thanks for reposting this. I am sure you will help somebody. I am sorry for all the pain you have endured.

• Sassy
    Sassy

sorry you had such a bad experience. Unfortunately I think this situation happens often....

• Odrade
    Odrade

Sounds like a pretty true read on the situation. I'm sorry you're hurting.

(((simon)))

O

• kls
    kls

Welcome to the club ( forum) yes the jws love themselves and their beliefs more then any spouse ,child or family that does not practice their religion. It is like being married to a corpse, no emotion,little love and bidding their time with you till their end comes.

This is how i see it being married to a cult member with stone feelings.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

sjf84,

I'm so sorry to read about your pain. I'm married to a person that loves the Organization more than he loves me and it's very painful at times because I love him so much.

Welcome to this website.

DY

• sjf84
    sjf84

Thanks a lot for all the replies everyone!!! And thanks so much for all the sympathy. It's really nice of you all

• Gerard
    Gerard
    But suddenly, completely out of the blue, she told me she missed her life as a JW, and within a couple of weeks she had moved back in with her parents.

Now she does not even talk to me, I'm assuming because if she continues talking to me she will not be fully accepted back into this vile organisation.

Sorry to hear that. My girlfriend convinced me she's out of their grip and I believe it. We are married now and she's stronger than ever. But family ties and blackmail are quite powerfull too.

• Corvin
    Corvin

Thank you for your timely post. I pulled the same crap with my first wife when I was 18. I married out of the organization and then brought her in. I left and she became the fanatical nutjob. Life has been good since I got out of the organization and divorced my first wife and I will not even allow my kids to date JW's period because it is always the same shit.

I wish you a fine recovery. Stick around; I think your experiences will benefit others out there that are going through or about to go through the same things.

Best Regards,

Corvin

• Aalena
    Aalena

If anything, I urge people to get out of the relationship b/c of the hurt it brings the rest of the family. My parents were married 22 years until my father(the non-JW) died. It's created a lot of pain and confusion and regret for their children. Please, think about the effect it would have on any potential family if you are in a relationship that could result in marriage and only one is a committed JW... or even if there is a possibility that someone that is astragned from the religion going back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit