The Real Reason for the Blood Ban?

by Farkel 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Farkel
    Farkel

Yes. It was 1966, not 1969. That was the year I graduated from high school, and that summer the "Freedom" book came out and caused all the stir. I must be losing my mind for that mistake. I remember it quite well. The next year the "Truth" book came out, and I got my first copy in the Pomona, California convention/assembly. The little blue book of lies, as I now call it. "The Truth That Leads to Endless Misery."

Farkel

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

It started off with changes to Bethel Policy. How appointments are made within the congregation of Bethelites. A Bethel Home Overseer or work overseer for example could over-ride the 'holy spirit based' decision of an elder body about a Bethelite being appointed as an MS or Elder. Some Bethleites didn't get appointed because they had too many nic-nacks on their desk. While having dinner with Ted Jaracz and his wife I raised it with him. I told him that if he as an elder in the congregation recommended a guy, I could over-ride it as his department supervisor. He had a fit right there. The next day the policy was changed.

Canadian Writing Department Overseer Mike Latyn and I co- wrote the original Watchtower articles detailing the change in understanding of "generation". We researched and wrote the articles in 1993/94 with the article showing up in the fall of 95. We had a huge focus on living each day as it were our last and not living with a date in mind. What would be said of us if we died today, etc. A focus on good works and being a good neighbour. All that got removed from the article. They just kept the 'new light' and discarded the 'good works'.

This was a pet issue of Mike's and he pushed the concept a few times befre being authorized to draft articles on it. Both he and I had commented that so many still speculate on dates and the "what if's" of not being the generation to see the end how many would still be faithful etc.

Or what if we were found unworthy and had to 'wander the wilderness' for another 40 years due to being found spiritual vacuous or corrupt. None of these ideas ever made it to print.

I had already left Bethel when the articles on the generation change came out. I was pissed at how much they had changed what was originally there.

There were also some changes in how elders were to care for the sheep that appeared in WT articles. I assisted in those as well. Counselling in a spirit of respect and mildness, Showing respect to elders who have tired out/step aside and seem to get discarded by the elders and congregation. "refinements" mosre so than "new light" in respect to those articles.

Those are a few of the things I got involved with while at Bethel. One day I too may write a book but am too busy building a life and career now to do so.

Uzzah

PS - No I haven't been struck dead lately for touching the ark. Thanks for asking tho! :) Thus the reason for the alias. I was called a modern day Uzzah by a few of the Branch Committee over the years I was there. I preferred being called a modern day Good Samaritan but either way ....

• Farkel
    Farkel

Uzzah,

: No I haven't been struck dead lately for touching the ark.

LOL! That just goes to show that with BibleGod(tm), no good deed goes unpunished!

Farkel, who would touch the ark anytime of the day or week. It was just a BOX with a bunch of voodoo superstition around it, fer Christ's sake!

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

Fark:

An ole war horse like yourself ain't afraid of nothin, especially a little wooden box.

Keep up the fight man. Too many out there don't bother with research for themselves and rely on folks like you to do it for them.

Keep playing those tunes and writing your essays. I can live with your cantankerous side just keep the music and research coming!

Your friend,

Uzzah

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Uzzah....Wow, what an asset you are to the forum! Thanks for sharing your "inside" account, I'm sure it has "enlightened" the story behind the "light". What you described is so typical of the indifferent Org and reminds me of the expunging of interest in "character development" and other soft, spiritual things in Rutherford's day. Did you keep any of the original versions of the article? It would reveal volumes to carefully compare the two side by side and see exactly what was changed and reworded....

• Englishman
    Englishman

Brummie said:

Excellent thread, though I do find it hard to believe that they would start forbidding blood as a publicity stunt. But I guess thats what destructive cults do.

"No blood transfusion" gives JW's a martyrdom quality. There ain't nothing like the smell of burning martyr to get attention and divert people away from the real issues.

The blood ban is the main thing that people know about JW's. That and the "No Christmas or birthdays".

That's why when JW's come up in conversation, I always talk about their shunning policies that split up families. That does not elicit the same grudging admiration that refusing blood attracts.

Englishman.

• avengers
    avengers
    Franz was willing to sacrifice the lives of (it is estimated) 10,000 men, women and children who would die by refusing blood in order to further the interests and "promote" the Watchtower Society.

My granddaughter is one of those 10.000. Under pressure of the WT the surgeons started the operation without a heart lung machine.
    When things started failing they could not start the machine in time. She died.
    Later the doctors admitted that if they would have started out with the heart lung machine then the chances of survival
    would have been much greater.

Thank You WT. I have no words to describe what I feel for you.

Andy

• Brummie
    Brummie
    I always talk about their shunning policies that split up families. That does not elicit the same grudging admiration that refusing blood attracts.

Good idea, I can see what you are saying, the mention of blood brings up a "ready to die for the truth" barricade. Not so proud when mentioning the devistation they cause on peoples lives are they!

• blondie
    blondie

To order the Four Presidents:

http://www.freeminds.org/sales/fourpresidents.htm

or

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1594671311/002-6674924-7791223?v=glance

Introduction

http://www.freeminds.org/sales/4presintro.htm

I have noticed how the WTS is slowly trying to dismantle the blood ban. With the recent WT study article, it shows how many JWs are confused by the "blood fractions" clause in the 2000 WT Questions from Readers. I think the WTS is getting a flood of unending questions on what is allowable.

Blondie

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Fascinating thread.

Interesting what Uzzah mentioned about the hidden others behind the scenes, that are responsible for new light. So much for the Governing Body being directed by holy spirit. It just reinforces the fact the WTBTS is simply a business with a board of directors being figureheads, and all the posturing and polliticing that goes on behind closed doors.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit