Do you still get embarrassed by it?

by Mr Ben 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• OK Computer
    OK Computer

Wait Wait, Wait..What is all this "cult" talk? This is not how we Jw's are really perceived by you guys is it? :) In college I was embarrassed a bit about having JW ties, but now that I am more actively involved I am quite proud of it actually.

Wild stab in the dark, Mr. Ben did you do a stint in Tennesee-Michigan U.S.A? Something sounds a little too familiar.

Lynn.

******************************************************************************************************************************

Pick-up "Musicology"... The cool kids do.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Yes, I would get embarrased by the fact that I used to be one. Especially embarrassing was when I would date someone, I would try to keep it hush-hush as long as I could, as I did not want to chase them away, although when they did find out, they usually DID run. Guess enough people have heard about the JW's that some are afraid to have a relationship with anyone that used to be. Nowadays, though, I have to say that it does not bother me that other people know, sometimes I even get an occasional Condolence!!!

• onacruse
    onacruse

Naw, not embarrassed at all.

In fact, the fellow I'm working with now (and who I've worked with off-and-on for 25 years), I got him to go to a couple of meetings (including Memorial, of course ). Every once in a while, he and I reminisce on those days, and we just break out in a good belly-laugh.

His most memorable expression to me, over all these years, and which brings a knowing glint to his eye when I remind him: "A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle."

Craig

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

Ok Computer,

I've not been to the USA yet, but you can elaborate if you want. Tell me, if your still active and proud of it surely you know you are sinning by being here!

Anyway, I am embarrassed because I helped disseminate lies, for example, the multitude of lies, misinformation and adulterated quotations in the Evolution/Creation book. How do you feel proud to be part of an organisation that has no hesitation in using lies to convert innocent people to it?s religious system or keeping existing members in an intellectual void? What is there to be proud about? Being part of a lying organisation?

At least my embarrassment tells me my moral compass is working again. Yes, I am ashamed at being involved with lying to people just to get them in the cult. However, that is mollified by the fact that did not know at the time I was distributing lies. Do you know what woke me up? It was an article about the fake chimp on Jan H?s old site. You can follow a previous discussion at

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/17501/1.ashx

• Ciara
    Ciara

Mr Ben, looks like you're getting the knack of doing a bit of un-witnessing, yourself. A step along the road of recovery????

Ciara

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Not now, because if I run into a bullies or schoolmates who bothered me as a kid and they see me now they KNOW they better not say something that was funny about me then.

Rolling Forties Cryps forever.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit