Do you still get embarrassed by it?

by Mr Ben 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

The other night in the pub a guy pipes up, "Hey, how you doing mate?"

Then proceeds to inform everyone that I used to try and convert him to JWism about 8 years ago.

I say, "How you doing Dave?"...[change subject, quick quick] "Still play snooker?"

[No luck!] "Hey, I can't believe you were one of those Witnesses..." [Oh balls! Here we go...]

And so there goes my whole aura of newly re-acquired coolness starting to vanish into the extractor fans like so much cigarette smoke! I concede, "Yeah, I was a real arsehole!"

Now, I know the cult victim should't berate themselves etc, but do you still get embarrassed about your former cult membership?

• blondie
    blondie

Is he divorced? Remind him that he was in a situation that he thought was good that turned out bad. Aren't we both glad to have finally wised up. Then change the subject to something positive. Do that every time and if he is a thinking person who cares about you, he should stop.

As to how you feel, you were doing the best you could with the information you had at the time.

Blondie

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

Blondie,

As always, Oh supreme blond one, you are a deep well of compassion & wisdom.

Isn't it strange that if someone was say, suckered by a financial scam then people would likely be more compassionate, but if someone is suckered by a cult then they are just a sucker!

• Maverick
    Maverick

Another good policy is to redirect the issue. Tell him you were a secret agent sent undercover to infiltrate the cult, and just smirk at him. Maverick

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Blonde:
    Nice analogy. I like that one, thanks

• Golf
    Golf

Nope, no need to get embarrassed nor be degrading. In fact, if anyone wants to discuss it, I will accomadate them. When someone speaks ill of any acquaintaince (witness or not) I will jump in and defend them. This berating others is immature and childish. Why can't we talk about the strengths and weaknesses of others without assassinating their character?

Guest 77

• exjdub
    exjdub

Mr. Ben,

Buy him a pint and ask him to please stop blowing your cover. Will that work, or is it beyond that?? Is he kidding with you (not that calling someone out in front of everyone is appropriate) or is it bullying?

exjdub

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

Oh no it's not bullying, I'm quite sure. Actually, I think that most people don't give a bollocks about someones freaky cult history, except for a bit of a pub natter. No, it's really about me still being embarrassed that I fell for such a scam, and that I'd prefer to forget it all.

How do you feel when ur "cover" is blown?

• exjdub
    exjdub

If it is someone that I am forming a friendship with I blow my own cover when the subject arises about religion and upbringing. If my cover is blown by someone else I laugh and tell them it feels great to be out of a cult. If you make fun of yourself it generally takes the sting out of the embarassment...especially if you have a pint in your hand.

exjdub

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Nope! I use it at every opportunity I can so that I can unWitness to people!

CG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit