by Aztec 60 Replies latest jw friends

• Aztec
    Aztec

What will happen?

Just curious...

~Aztec

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

That would be a big move and would take a lot of planning. And there's a few of us who would be disappointed to have you so far from here. It makes it harder to visit. (ok, I'm selfish) Is everything ok there, Aztec?

Walter

• blondie
    blondie

Dear Aztec,

Let me say this as one who has moved many times, most of my difficulties moved with me. But if I'm off base with that....sorry.

Otherwise, California is a great state and big. Northern, Central and Southern California are like separate states in climate, beauty, population. Irrev and I plan to go there next year and take 3 to 4 weeks to do it and we will still not do it justice. Where else (besides Oregon or Washington) can you be swinming in the ocean and the same day be in the mountains. Of course, there is the earthquake thingy.

Blondie

• rocketman
    rocketman

If you move:

1. You become a Raiders (or Chargers, or Niners) fan instead of a Lions fan.....winning pct. likely increases

2. You become a Mighty Ducks (or Kings) fan instead of a Wings fan.....winning pct. likely decreases

So it all balances out. Besides that, you exchange long cold winters for earthquakes and wildfires.

• shera
    shera

earthquakes....

• JH
    JH

Astalavista Baby...

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

You'll be here just in time for the Big One. If you want to best experience the Big One, best to head out to the Palm Springs area near where the San Andras fault begins. However if you don't like waiting around and want to be in the thick of a huge horrible earthquake, then I suggest the Bay Area, where there is a 2 out of 3 chance of a 7.0 or bigger hitting within the next 30 years. The 1906 earthquake released much of the tension between the faults, and so the 20th century has been relatively earthquake-free. The 21st century is feared to be much like the 17th century, when the Bay Area had at least five 7.0 earthquakes or worse in magnitiude. Now there are plenty of places you can live with the fault splitting through your house, or oceanfront property in Pacifica with the San Andreas fault exposed at the cliffs and will cause a terrible landslide during a 1906-type earthquake. Bad news too if you move to San Francisco and live in South Beach or brick structures built after 1906 that are seismically prone to collapse (there are many). So if you want to move out here, it would be good to think of such things -- location could mean everything..... ;)

• Sassy
    Sassy

my only advice is make sure that you have a good paying job to move here for. the cost of living here is not easy to deal with

ohhh.. and expect to sit in traffic a lot...

If you move:

1. You become a Raiders (or Chargers, or Niners) fan instead of a Lions fan.....winning pct. likely increases

2. You become a Mighty Ducks (or Kings) fan instead of a Wings fan.....winning pct. likely decreases

So it all balances out. Besides that, you exchange long cold winters for earthquakes and wildfires.

well.....you don't have to change your teams..... I still love MN..

Go Timberwolves!!!

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Aztec -

The great thing about California is that there are many different environments to choose from. You can live in a large city like LA or San Francisco or one of their many suburbs, or you can live in smaller towns. You can choose to live near the ocean, in the mountains, in the desert, in the valley, or near any one of the hundreds of lakes, rivers or streams that are a part of this great state. Do you like hot weather? We've got it. Or do you prefer cooler weather? We have that, too. Do you want to live in a diverse area, or do you prefer to live somewhere away from the crowd? We have it all! I LOVE California! And don't let people scare you about the earthquakes. Our buildings are built to withstand them - and trust me when I tell you we don't get them even one-tenth as often as the mid-west gets tornados. (fyi - I lived in Lake Tahoe when the big one hit SF in '89 and I didn't even feel it.) The only drawback about California is the high cost of living. However, if you have marketable skills, there are jobs to be had here, which pay better than in other parts of the nation. Much of the lifestyle you will have here depends on exactly where you move. I live in suburban Sacramento and I love it here. There are plenty of jobs which pay pretty well, lots of housing, and hardly any traffic when compared with LA or San Francisco. (Not to mention the Kings are hot, Hot HOT!!!) There is so much to do here. We are about an hour and a half from Lake Tahoe where you can ski, camp and hike, and an hour and half away from San Francisco (self-explanatory). We are about three hours from Yosemite, and about two hours from Reno. Of course, if you are into it, there is always Napa for wine tasting, white water rafting or kayaking down any of our rivers, or the coastal region for some deep sea fishing. We have it all here, and I love it! If you want more information, please don't hesitate to pm me and I can help point you in the right direction!!!

growedup

• simplesally
    simplesally

Where did you plan on settling? Growed up is right...........so many places to choose from. My mom lives in Lake County, up past Sacramento and she is about 15 minutes from Clearlake. Well, her area is a real slow paced community, agricultural based community and small business owners.

Or you can come down to the busy So Cal lifestyle and choose between the beach communities or inland.

What will happen to you? You might get a tan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit