My daughter is scared of crocodiles. Any advice?

by myauntfanny 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Expand her vocabulary - tell her about alligators!

• Maverick
    Maverick

Tell her they make great Boots! Maverick

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Turn on all the lights, get a flashlight and check everyplace with her. Underbed, closet etc.

Put a rocking chair in her room and tell her you are sure that there are no crocs, but that you will stay until she goes to sleep and keep a watch.

Don't whine about having to do this.

You won't do anything to do more important before morning than this.

Do this and the fears will stop.

She'll tell her friends and children you did this for her for the rest of her life.

IMHO

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

My sister tried sitting up with my wee nephew, until he slept.
    The drawback with this was when he would wake in the middle of the night, realise she wasn't there, and promptly scream the house down!!!

Last time I was there it interfered with a wonderful dream I was having about....
    - oops, sorry, I digress...

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

teacher what to do when she sees a crocodile... teach her where they live, what they eat and how they attack and what she can do to save herself from them if they approach her....

give her some safety tips for what to do if the house catches on fire while you are at it...safety education can start early... make it a group plan...

teach them to have power over their fears by knowing what to do when they are confronted with real dangers... snakes, crocs, fires, etc.

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

It's always tempting to just stay till she goes to sleep but then if she wakes up later she panics that I'm not still there, whereas if she goes to sleep alone then she just gets herself back to sleep if she wakes later on in the night. Funny thing, that. And she also wakes up more often and more alert on the nights I stay till she falls asleep, and it doesn't even seem to help with the underlying problem because it gets worse and worse on successive nights until she wants to sleep with us (always the Holy Grail for three year olds, their sole aim in life seems to be getting back into the parental bed). I almost get the feeling that me staying interferes with her ability to solve the problem as she gets more and more dependent on me to keep the crocs away.

But anyway, I'm going to do the croc hunt with her before she gets in bed tonight, look everywhere, which she should find fun and it might lighten things up a little.

Okay, little toe, you can go ahead and hijack my thread with your dream now. I'm sure many enquiring minds want to know.

Edited to add:

Zennudist that's all very well but I have no bloody idea what to do when confronted by a crocodile. I was under the impression that unless you are Crocodile Dundee there aren't a lot of options. But it's good advice, I'll go read up on it. Maybe it's in my book of worst case scenarios.

• simplesally
    simplesally

I guess singing the 3 Little Monkeys song would not work..........even tho it's an alligator in the song.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Having ancestors who plied the everglades in search of daily fare, I can tell you that it is healthy to have a fear of Crocks, especially groups that are really international sales organizations masquerading as a religion.. they're the real crocks to be afraid of...

Carmel of the "Seminole" clan

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

lol Carmel. I only have a little bit of Wauxhau in me and they went extinct early on, but I think the problem was white people. They'd have been safer with crocodiles.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Well you can buy Aligator Heads in New Orleans.

Maybe you can buy one online, show it too her and tell her that you killed it so it wont bother her anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit