Do not become unevenly yoked with an unbeliever unless she is asian.

by XQsThaiPoes 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

I notice a few "brothers" with asian non -JW wives. Many tend to be at least 10-30 years younger often second wives. I notice the "friends" don't tend to pick on their budist,shinto, etc wives to convert them to JWs. Also maybe due to a bit of of xenophobia they don't mix with them and love bomb them. It is like they have a JW proof halo. The kids for the most part are interfaithed if they decide to have any but the majority are childless.

I don't know the circumstances of any of these brothers and how the elders reacted, but I wanted to know if anyone else seen a simular trend. I know the WTS got "rid of marry only in the lord" in part of its atempt to appear main stream. Now it is "the worldy people will drag you down" and if they don't we will make you feel guilty. It is just strange that JWs react more "normal" to a non chirstian wife than to a christian of another faith. I could be wrong and it is just they hide it better (no retalation or attempts to refute the JW teachings).

• Maverick
    Maverick

I am not sure about the WTS dropping their stand on marriage. I have seen where some men have married young women from other countries. In each of the cases save one the women were JW's. The RF avoided these women and did not embrace them. The attitude I was able to interpret was that most of the RF felt the brothers should have married locals. But most of the local sisters did not like these brothers or they had bad reputations and lots of gossip about them. The brides knew nothing of this. Maverick

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Not quite the same thing, but your post reminded me of this:

When I was in high school, I had a friend. He was studying with the Witnesses. His father was seperated but still married with his mother. Then his father went along to a meeting (or Memorial) and met this sister who had come from Japan. I already knew something about this sister from an AsiAm missionary to Japan who described this sister as having a rather unstable personality, and horrendous to live with. Anyway, my friend's father instantly got a crush on this sister, and started studying. My friend asked him why his sudden interest. He told him verbatim, "I've decided to go and get the whole package deal". Meaning, he was joining the religion to get the girl. This totally disgusted my friend, and me too! And so within a year or two he was baptised and they married, and it took just a year for him to become an elder. Anyway, having heard all these stories about the Japanese sister having a manic personality, I wonder whether he got what he wanted out of the "package deal".

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

You mean I became a JW and did not get my complementary manic Japanese wife what a rip off!

BTW was his name Douge?

On the watchtowers stance it has gotten weird. The brothers can only marry you in the KH if you are awaiting baptizm. Also if the person is a "christian" they still can't say anything in theory. If they are non-christian then the bros can beat their chest, but I still don't think they can do anything to you. Anyway I think logistics is making the WTS pipe don't and just discourage this. Because many JWs are getting married then coming back with mate in tow.

w01 5/15 pp. 20-21 Divine Guidance for Selecting a Marriage Mate ***

?Marry

Only in the Lord?

Jehovah?s direction for Christians is very clear: ?Marry only in the Lord.? (1 Corinthians 7:39) Christian parents and their children may be tested in this regard. How so? Young people may wish to get married, but available partners may be lacking within the congregation. At least that is how it seems. There may be fewer available men than women in a certain locality, or there may be no one deemed suitable in the area. A young man who is not a dedicated member of the congregation may show interest in a young Christian woman (or vice versa), and there is pressure to compromise on the standards that Jehovah has set. Under such circumstances, it would be good to reflect on the example of Abraham. One way that he maintained his fine relationship with God was by seeing to it that his son Isaac married a true worshiper of Jehovah. Isaac did the same in the case of his son Jacob. This took effort by all involved, but it pleased God and resulted in his blessing.?Genesis 28:1-4.

In a few cases, the unbeliever eventually became a Christian. However, marriages to unbelievers have often proved disastrous. Those unevenly yoked do not share the same beliefs, standards, or goals. (2 Corinthians 6:14) This can have a detrimental effect on communication and on marital happiness. For instance, one Christian woman greatly bemoaned the fact that after an upbuilding meeting, she could not go home and discuss spiritual things with her unbelieving mate. More important, of course, ?marrying in the Lord? is a matter of loyalty to Jehovah. When we comply with God?s Word, our hearts do not condemn us, for we are doing what is "pleasing in his eyes."?1 John 3:21, 22.

When marriage is considered, the virtue and spirituality of the prospective mate should be of primary concern. A Christian personality, along with love for God and whole-souled devotion to him, is of far greater value than physical attractiveness. Divine approval is enjoyed by those who appreciate and fulfill their obligation to be spiritually strong marriage partners. And the greatest strength a couple can achieve comes from mutual devotion to the Creator and full acceptance of his guidance. In this way Jehovah is honored, and the marriage begins on a solid spiritual footing that will contribute to an enduring union.
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia

Nope, his name was Wayne. And my friend wised up and stopped studying with the witlesses...

• gumby
    gumby

"Do NOT become unevenly yoked with unbelievers". That was a command, not a suggestion, yet the dubs do not disfellowship for marrying out of the Lord (truth ) I never knew why.

Gumby

• robhic
    robhic
    17 In a few cases, the unbeliever eventually became a Christian. However, marriages to unbelievers have often proved disastrous. Those unevenly yoked do not share the same beliefs, standards, or goals. (2 Corinthians 6:14

Well, it says "often" not "every time" and that's also not exactly what the scritpure quoted says:

2Co 6:14 Be not unequally yoked with unbelievers: for what fellowship have righteousness and iniquity? or what communion hath light with darkness? Looks more like keeping unrighteous (foreigners? UNbelievers?) from ones considered righteous.

And Deuteronomy 22:10-14 also gives the Israelites the green light to take non-Israelite women who are "pleasing to his eye" as a wife (or concubine, I guess) should the mood strike you after slaughtering all the rest of the community. Mighty nice of them.

I guess after a long day of genocide, pillaging and stealing it's nice to have some "strange" to relax with.

Robert

• mustang
    mustang

Don't fall for the myth that Asian women are meek and submissive. TRUST ME!!!!

Mustang

Got a Tiger by the Tail Class

• new light
    new light

You would think a mail-order bride catalog would specify religious background.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I've been maried to an asian women for 28 yrs,,I didn't beleive at that time that all asian women were a certain way,,I figured the more familar you are with some ones personality,,the more you would know about that person,, but I never made a catagory,, of how people of any nationality should act,,I've known quite a few diffent personalities,,I guess that's why I felt that way.My wife was already a JW,,got baptized one year after I did,,i met her while a bethelite,,I had no money,,she had 2 kids from a previous marriage,,we courted about 4 months and were married. I am now DF'd for apostacy and not allowed to visit my step daughter's house,, and her daughter,,my stepgrandaughter if I may say it like it is,, I think my stepdaughter may be mentally depressed but afraid to see a psych. and be open and honest.

I must be just rambling here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit