Being a Teenager in the Eighties.....growing up

by ScoobySnax 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Believe it or Not Joey Scarbury Theme from the "Greatest American Hero" Look at what's happened to me I can't believe it myself Suddenly I'm on top of the world Shoulda been somebody else CHORUS: Believe it or not I'm walking on air I never thought I could feel so free Flying away on a wing and a prayer Who could it be? Believe it or not it's just me Just like the light of a new day It hit me from out of the blue Breaking me out of the spell I was in Making all of my wishes come true CHORUS Who could it be? Believe it or not it's just me 

http://soundamerica.com/sounds/themes/Television/F-H/ga-hero.wav

• lilsx1
    lilsx1

I was born in 1978 so I wasn't very old through the 80's. However, looking back at the hair and clothes my mom had me in *eek*!!! *LOL* I listen to an 80's station and remember the music so I guess that is my favorite. I had this horrible liking for leg warmers too ;) or was that 70's?

• new light
    new light

I've since come to appreciate my own teen years (early 90's), but I used to wish I had been born 8-10 years earlier. The high school scene depicted in movies of the early 80's seemed so much better than the one I was stuck in. It doesn't matter now, but it did then.

• Xandria
    Xandria

Gawd..too many memories. I was a eighty's teen even though I was not allowed to really enjoy all the wonders then. I remember them all.

I loved the Breakfast Club, rubber shoes (even though they did make your feet sweat), rolled jeans, the desperation of trying to fit in, dramatic eye shadow, dramatic hair (which took tons of hairspray to make, dippity doo and food coloring to make), the list goes on.

X.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I too was a teenager in the 80's. Loved that era.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I always thought the 60's were the best of all of them,,so there!!!!

• roybatty
    roybatty
    I've since come to appreciate my own teen years (early 90's), but I used to wish I had been born 8-10 years earlier. The high school scene depicted in movies of the early 80's seemed so much better than the one I was stuck in. It doesn't matter now, but it did then.

While nothing is exactly like the movies, the "Breakfeast Club" and "Say Anything" were pretty acurate with describing my high school years.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

When Calvin Coolers came in 40 ounce bottles Grape and Orange. Use to get messed up and then smoke some Cocaine Cigerrattes.

Graffiti was at its height here in NYC and so was the emergence of Rap music. It was some great times minus the JW torture.

• Fleur
    Fleur

ooo great ones so far.

Dep hair gel

a-ha

day glo (never wore it tho!)

choose life t-shirts

cory hart

night ranger

fingerless leather gloves that got me in trouble with my parents

cutting my hair and frosting it myself

long dangly earrings

black rubber bracelets

wearing 2 watches, one set to london time tho i didn't know anyone there (i was the first on the block to do this lol)

which brings me to...swatch

my little pony

the smiths

learning to drive

pretty in pink

wheel of fortune (vanna was everywhere)

GOOD star wars movies

getting mtv even tho jw's werent' supposed to watch videos

"music that debases' public talk *gag*

having my mother go on 'demon hunts' that usually sent my favorite things into the trash (and never 'worked' anyway) :(

soooo much more...might add more when they come to me. great entries already folks. thanks for the memories. i might not be crazy about being in my 30s but i would never want to be a teenager again!

hugs

fleur

• Farkel
    Farkel

The Howdy Doody Show, Elvis getting drafted, black and white TVs, transistor radios, slide rules, The Dick Van Dyke and Beverly Hillbillies shows, the Kennedy/Nixon debates, the discovery of DNA and almost all popular male singing groups wearing sport jackets and ties, while all female singing groups wore identical outfits.

Oh, wait! Wrong decade! Sorry.....

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit