ymca

by bavman 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• galaxy7
    galaxy7
    WT 01/79:

"In joining the YMCA as a member a person accepts or endorses the general objectives and principles of the organization. He is not simply paying for something he receives, such as when buying things being sold to the public at a store. (Compare 1 Corinthians 8:10; 10:25.) Nor is his membership merely an entry pass, as when a person buys a theater ticket. Membership means that one has become an integral part of this organization founded with definite religious objectives, including the promotion of interfaith. Hence, for one of Jehovah?s Witnesses to become a member of such a so-called Christian association would amount to apostasy."
  • blondie
    blondie

http://www.ymca.net/index.jsp

YMCA of the USA launched its corporate strategic alliance initiative in the fall of 1997. The goal of the initiative is to secure corporate sponsors willing to dedicate people power, funding, advertising and promotions, and in-kind resources, which will benefit the YMCA, mission, programs and services nationwide. YMCA of the USA's Corporate Relations team reviews, negotiates and manages all alliances in accordance with the National Board guidelines and policies.

Current national sponsors, listed in alphabetical order, of the YMCA of the USA are:

For more information about corporate sponsorship opportunities, contact Mia Ahmann, National Sponsorship Development Manager, at 312-419-8896.

You might want to check their website further or call them and verify the source of their funding. I have not been able to find any direct funding from any religious organization.

Blondie

• Dawn
    Dawn
    to join the y was apostasy

Ah...crap.....I didn't know that...darn it - now I'm officially apostated. Oh well - better have a drink to that!

• Dawn
    Dawn
    WT 01/79:

"In joining the YMCA as a member a person accepts or endorses the general objectives and principles of the organization. He is not simply paying for something he receives, such as when buying things being sold to the public at a store. (Compare 1 Corinthians 8:10; 10:25.) Nor is his membership merely an entry pass, as when a person buys a theater ticket. Membership means that one has become an integral part of this organization founded with definite religious objectives, including the promotion of interfaith. Hence, for one of Jehovah’s Witnesses to become a member of such a so-called Christian association would amount to apostasy."

Oh - thanks for posting that article. It's much clear now to me - so I CAN'T join the Y but I CAN join the UN.

• catchthis
    catchthis

Just modify a couple words and let's see if it still works:

"In joining the YMCA United Nations as a member a person accepts or endorses the general objectives and principles of the organization. He is not simply paying for something he receives, such as when buying things being sold to the public at a store. (Compare 1 Corinthians 8:10; 10:25.) Nor is his membership merely an entry pass, as when a person buys a theater ticket. Membership means that one has become an integral part of this organization founded with definite religious politically neutral objectives, including the promotion of interfaith world peace. Hence, for one of Jehovah?s Witnesses to become a member of such a so-called Christian politically neutral association would amount to apostasy."

Yep, it still fits.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

*** w57 8/1 p. 478 Part 3: Rounding the World with the Vice-President ***

Accordingly, 279 were favored with baptism in the YMCA swimming pool, not far from the Rizal Stadium, where 6,572 had heard them answer the decisive questions affirmatively.

*** w51 7/15 p. 429 Expansion of Theocracy in Indonesia and Singapore ***

That afternoon we joined in a meeting with the publishers and people of good will. I started to talk at 2:15 and a brother interpreted in Indonesian. At 3:30 Brother Henschel spoke and his talk was interpreted in both Indonesian and Dutch. I then summed up for 45 minutes with two interpreters. The meetings were held at the YMCA, and 37 were present. Most of them were Chinese, but there were Indonesians and others present too. They expressed great appreciation following the meeting and then showed their desire to comply with all theocratic requirements.

*** yb91 p. 77 Hawaii?1991 Yearbook Report ***

James said: "I read that a Japanese lecture would be given at the Nuuanu YMCA in Honolulu on the subject ?Millions Now Living Will Never Die.? This was something so different from what I had heard before, so I decided to attend.

*** yb77 p. 37 India ***

An avid reader of The Watch Tower, Joseph learned that Brother Russell, while on a world tour during 1912, would visit India. Madras City was to be visited, so Joseph seized the opportunity to hear Russell and gain a personal interview. At Madras, Brother Russell lectured in the YMCA Hall and, though his schedule was full, he granted Joseph a personal interview lasting two hours.

*** yb77 p. 54 India ***

Our brothers lodged at the YMCA Hostel and worked the residential homes scattered about on the steep hillsides.

Did anyone have to pay 'false religion' for the use of these facilities - the baptismal pool, a lecture room etc? I guess it's OK to hire the YMCA's amenities when it is for the furtherance of the 'true religion.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit