ymca

by bavman 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bavman
    bavman

hi,

has anyone ever called the y to see how they r funded??? i did. it doesn't seem they r sponsored by all churches. what did u find???

bavman

• Odrade
    Odrade

well, they collect membership dues in line with other types of health clubs, I imagine that is a large part of their income.

• bavman
    bavman

hi,

i guess the point i'm trying to make is we have been lied to again. we were always told that to join the y was apostasy. my ? is: how so????? y's r individually funded by the communities they r in & the people who go there, not churches. would u agree??????

bavman

• roybatty
    roybatty
    hi,

i guess the point i'm trying to make is we have been lied to again. we were always told that to join the y was apostasy. my ? is: how so????? y's r individually funded by the communities they r in & the people who go there, not churches. would u agree??????

bavman

I'm very involved with the local YMCA (got Da'd for joining it). As far as the Y's I've been involved with, it's not funded by churches. Instead most funding comes from local businesses, membership dues and differnt donation drives. The Society's hang up with the Y is how it was founded. Waaaay back when, the Y's did have more of a religious theme to them. It was common years ago to find Bible classes being taught there (I'm talking some 60 - 80 years ago). There is still "offical" Christian slogans that are thrown around but you'd have to really look hard to find them. But what's wrong with having a place that promotes "generic" Christian principles? Where's it better to go and excercise, some place that has a Christian theme to it or the local gym which most closely resembles a singles bar? Just as the Watchtower is differnt today then it was just a few years ago, so is the Y. It's pretty much a good place for families to go and excercise. It's a GREAT place for kids to go and enjoy themselves. I enjoy helping kids who come from homes that have problems. They come to the Y from some peace, excercise and looking for someone to talk to. It's a great place.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I agree with you. This WTS restriction on YMCA membership is more about control than anything else. "Oh you might develop bad associations!!"

Last time I visited the YMCA it looked much more like a community center than anything to do with religion.

It's their loss that they won't enjoy the fun and healthy exercise you can get at the local "Y".

I guess one good thing about it, being an ex-JW, is that you won't have to worry too much about seeing JW's when you go visit the YMCA! (not that it really matters)

• roybatty
    roybatty
    I guess one good thing about it, being an ex-JW, is that you won't have to worry too much about seeing JW's when you go visit the YMCA!

Funny thing is, my brother and brother in law play basketball at the Y but feel it's ok since they're not members. Instead of paying the $285.00 yearly membership, they pay $5.00 and play basketball for an hour. I'm like "what's the differnece?" JW's and their strange logic.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Damn, I can't get that Village People song out of my head now....

Its fun to stay at the Y M C aAAAAA......

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

thanks ThiChi, it wasnt in my head before, but now it is

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

heh eheeh. Come on, everyone stand up and make a Y........ready?

(PS: YMCA.com has alot of info...Like, did you know the YMCA started in England?)

• nilfun
    nilfun

You need to get your excercise out in field service, not on no false religion nautilus machine, dang nab it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit